North Cyprus Tourist Board - Question on Cyprus in House of Lords
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Question on Cyprus in House of Lords

Question on Cyprus in House of Lords

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

craig2536

Message Posted:
14/07/2009 18:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

It looks at last that someone in the British Government has actually an opinion on Cyprus. Lets wait and see

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/11/20090713/tpl-advancing-unity-in-cyprus-0a1c1a1.html

pilgrim

Message Posted:
14/07/2009 19:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Feel a slight slant on veiws expressed.

WAZ-24-7

Message Posted:
14/07/2009 20:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

I also detect a slant of opinion in Lord Watson's proposed question to the Lords.

I cannot see Turkey deserting the TRNC in order to achieve EU membership.

I think that Lord Watson would be well advised to spend more time in his investigation of the deprivation inflicted on the TC and the populus of the TRNC. His aspiration of a quick fix removal of the Turkish army will most certainly not lead to a peacefull setlement.

It is in the interest of the EU,UN, and USA that Turkey remain western allies. These major influencial world powers must see that Turkey may well turn its back on the west and seek strong and newer links with the Eastern block. Turkey certainly has very significant military strength and is a major influence in the Eastern Mediteranean and periphery to the middle East. Lord Watson might take some aditional advice upon the region and its future prior to putting his question.

wanderer

Message Posted:
14/07/2009 20:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Lord Watson of Richmond thinks "So the EU paid for the trip how do I cover myself so it does not look as if I'm free loading ?"

Say nice things about the EU's guiding principles and how everything is wonderful and borders don't figure well in the EU

Please tell me I'm being cynical about our free loading politicians !

Lilli

Message Posted:
14/07/2009 21:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

i think we are all becoming cynical about them.freeloaders and cheats

dodger

Message Posted:
14/07/2009 23:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

No matter which way you interperate the statement it has to be seen as publicity.Turkey are massive players in the cause and in my opinion are still undecided which way they will jump,

Paul.

Lilli

Message Posted:
14/07/2009 23:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Paul I think they hold the Aces xxxxxx

dodger

Message Posted:
14/07/2009 23:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

And they know it Lilli perhaps the worm has turned,

Paul.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 00:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

I know TR will be holding a VERY big bill for loss of use claims - if there isn't a political solution..

There are factions in TR that want a soln, and those that want to maintain the status quo.. and bargain from a position of "strength"..

This poster thinks that we are more likely to see the political realists win through.. with a lot of help from the US and EU..

Ever the optimist ...

WAZ-24-7

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 01:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

mmmmm

The financial bill is of little consequence to Turkey. The sums are really very small to an economy with a GDP of over a trillion dollars and increasing. Turkey would quite happily fund a buy out for the TRNC from the ROC. The ROC however would simply not sell itself short.

A political solution for the TRNC and Turkey is an aspiration in order to attain a higher level of respect from the international community and to lift the current embargo.

However, Turkey remains totally committed to its people and TC relatives in the TRNC . Turkey nor the TRNC will most certainlyl not sign away their commitment and responsibility for any European Union incentive.

The EU, UN and USA are realising that they must act unilaterally in order to secure a lasting Cypriot peace that is acceptable to both Turkey and the ROC. Turkey and the TRNC have an increasingly strong political, economic and military hand. The ROC have the legal hand.

My view is that the Turkish hand will win the game.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 09:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Dear Warren / Waz

re msg 10

>>The financial bill is of little consequence to Turkey.<<

Following your response, I'm convinced displaced Cypriots everywhere will be hoping that you will be elected to represent the "TRNC" in any negotiations re a settlement !

Did you actually stop to calculate what TR would have to pay out ?

>>The sums are really very small to an economy with a GDP of over a trillion dollars and increasing<<

Are you aware of the expression "turnover is vanity, profit is sanity" ? . IMF???

>>Turkey nor the TRNC will most certainlyl not sign away their commitment and responsibility for any European Union incentive. <<

You KEEP making the mistake of believing "TRNC" has a real say... The people ( real Cypriots, ?!) will be able to vote in any referendum but TR will be calling the shots as to what goes in..

Stewart

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 10:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

my opinion, for what it's worth is: the real problem is Turkey's acceptance to the EU.

Why would Turkey give away NC, only to be allowed " special membership" rather than full member of the EU.

A few EU countries are very reluctant to allow a Muslim country, full voting rights in the EU....herein lies the REAL problem.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.