North Cyprus Tourist Board - sterilizing underground water tank
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > sterilizing underground water tank

sterilizing underground water tank

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all Do It Yourself (DIY) threads posted so far

sissy

Message Posted:
13/08/2009 14:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Does anyone have any advice on how to sterilize an underground tank of household water after it has been standing

for a few months.

Hatty

Message Posted:
13/08/2009 15:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

I suppose you could try a large amount of Milton fluid

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
13/08/2009 16:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Why would you want to stirilize yourtank sissy?

Its not as if you can drink it!

keithcaley

Message Posted:
13/08/2009 16:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Sissy,

You can use ordinary household bleach (sodium hypochlorite - basically the same stuff as Milton fluid, only stronger!) - the amount required will depend on the amount of water in the tank.

You can then leave it to stand until the chlorine dissipates, or help it on it's way with a splash of Ammonia (from the chemists) which breaks down the chlorine quickly.

If you have a friend with a pool testing kit, they will be able to determine when the chlorine level has fallen to 1 part per million (UK drinking water standard).

Alternatively, use powdered chlorine as supplied for swimming pools (this will take longer for the chlorine level to reduce, because of the stabilizer which is included), or even 1 cap full of Zerochlor - but you'd need to buy a litre bottle at £22!

Mind you, as yorgozlu rightly says, you wouldn't want to drink it! - but I do appreciate that you might want to make it more hygienic if it's gone all smelly and stagnant...

sissy

Message Posted:
13/08/2009 16:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Thanks for the advice,

We wouldnt want to drink it, but at the same time I wouldnt fancy washing in it after standing a long time. Wouldnt like to drain it off either as water is to precious.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
13/08/2009 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

You're welcome sissy,

On a lighter note, have you ever thought that all the water in the world has been around for millions of years, in one form or another, - people and fish and God knows what have swum in it, drank it, passed it (to put it politely), it's rained down from the heavens and disappeared into the drains - and you're worried 'cos it's been sat around for a few months in your nice clean tank!

Only joking...

Keith.

Navek

Message Posted:
13/08/2009 17:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Hi sissy,

If it's pretty well sealed up, the water should be OK.

Bottled beer & water has a shelf life of app 1 year,

wouldnt worry too much about a few months if underground

Navek

beno12

Message Posted:
13/08/2009 23:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Hallo sissy,

I allways drop Chlor Tablets into my Ground Tanks (8 tonne) before I depart for a long period 3 to 4 months .

8000 LT 2 Tablets (40gramm). Mini Tablets for long time desinfection .This tip was given to me from a guy who works at the Water Company here in Germany.Maybe this helps to carm your mind.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
14/08/2009 10:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

As long as the water has been in a lightless environment it will be OK. If you are still concerned, use chlorine or bleach and use a pool test kit to achieve 1ppm. You should as a matter of course be filtering your water anyway and a charcoal element after the particulate element will remove smell/taste from the water. Of more concern are roof tanks which are left full over the winter which may heat up in the spring before they are used again. Water kept in roof tanks at the "wrong" temperature are breeding grounds for all sorts of bacteria including Legionella pneumophila. After a long period of stagnation the first 1 or 2 tonnes of water used for showering could be risky.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.