North Cyprus Tourist Board - Moving from South Cyprus to the North
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Moving from South Cyprus to the North

Moving from South Cyprus to the North

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

northnsouth

Message Posted:
06/11/2009 17:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

Hi

Thinking of doing this in the not too distant future, has anyone done it? What are the things to look out for? Main query is how do we get all our household contents across the border?

Love to hear any ideas or things we need to do!

Thanks

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
06/11/2009 17:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

With difficulty I would think and you will have to pay tax, but trust me its worth it. The north is much nicer.

nostradamus

Message Posted:
06/11/2009 18:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

A friend did this, albeit a couple of years ago. It was necessary then to contact the customs on both sides of the border, with an inventory, so that they could deal with the necessary paperwork. No tax was payable at that time as it was treated in the same way as moving here from UK. A specific date had to be set for the actual removal but, otherwise, no problems.

Queen180

Message Posted:
06/11/2009 20:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

May I ask why you are leaving the south?

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
06/11/2009 20:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

mess 3 you are quite right, it exactly the same as bringing from England you have to go to trade office get a import licence and so on get a fixer im sure olytrans could point you in the right direction or even do it for you

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
06/11/2009 20:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

We moved from South to North about 12 months ago. You will need to get a removals company to do it - Columbia were the only company in the South that we could find who would do it. It is also very expensive when you consider the relatively short distance that your stuff is being moved. Columbia explained this away with cost of import licence, greasing the palms of customs officers etc etc.

Regards

Paul

Jo Valentine

Message Posted:
07/11/2009 00:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

Hello Michelle

We can help you, as we operate in both North and South Cyprus. I'm sending you an email with an inventory sheet so that we can 'quantify' your move.

All the best

Jo Valentine

valentineremovals@hotmail.com

http://www.jamesvalentineremovals.co.uk

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
07/11/2009 07:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

We did it 4 years ago - Paphos District to Girne. Because of the expected hassle, we carried all our stuff in the car - nearly 40 trips!

If you can afford to stay put, do so - otherwise you could well rue the day you set foot here.

This is your first posting - have you been reading about all the problems in TRNC on this website?

If not, you need to seriously do some homework.

What about medical care - are you wealthy? You'll need to be if you fall ill here - no EU coverage here - have you checked it out?

The cost of living has rocketed here and insidiously does so, weekly. So, whatever people tell you, it's on a par with the South - at least where you are you have decent shopping; it's third world here - like almost everything else.

In case you are thoroughly disenchanted with the Greek Cypriots - you had better believe it when you're told: 'A Cypriot is a Cypriot - North or South!'

If we had known what we now know, we certainly wouldn't have come.

mark&beck

Message Posted:
07/11/2009 08:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

Msg 8.

Why are you here?,it seems the trip back over the boarder would be the answer to all your problems!

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
07/11/2009 09:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

Try to learn to spell 'border' before giving me advice - or, perhaps, you're simply a 'Johnny Come Lately' temporary boarder in TRNC! Have you lived in the South - if not, you wouldn't have a clue, would you?

sunrise

Message Posted:
07/11/2009 09:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

I can't understand why people write such negative posts but still carry on living here. If you don't like it then surely the answer is to leave, not try to put everyone else off. I have to agree with 'mess 9' and it doesn't make any difference how it is spelt!

nostradamus

Message Posted:
07/11/2009 17:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

Coming here is probably the easy part - leaving is somewhat more difficult, especially if you have a property to sell!

cyprusjoker

Message Posted:
07/11/2009 17:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

Message 10 tenakoutou, thats a bit rude isnt it, whats a man spelling got to do with anything..

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
07/11/2009 17:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

Tenakoutou

You obviously have a chip on your shoulder, don't let it eat away at you. Life is short, make the best of it.

mikki09

Message Posted:
07/11/2009 17:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

Hi northnsouth

Hope you don't mind me asking, but I am a little curious as to why you want to move from the South to the North.

Mikki09

Hector

Message Posted:
07/11/2009 17:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

I think Tenakoutou is speaking out of painful (and probably expensive) experience and should be respected for it. He speaks from the heart I think. Having a go at him because he tells it the way he sees it with the usual 'why not leave' rubbish is wrong and out of the 'must be a GC sympathiser' defence handbook.

girne 29

Message Posted:
07/11/2009 19:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

Hector

Spot on.Anyone who thinks Tenakoutou is wrong should argue on which of the 5 points he is wrong instead of trying to shut him up.

If people need constantly reassured and told they made the right decision then maybe they are the ones that should leave.

NC is the way it is ,we like it or hate it in spite of its faults ,not because we pretend there are none.

I have a problem with Deeds, If anyone asks about buying here I will, like Tenakoutou, say just that.

I dont need reassured that everything is fine ,I need my deeds,and I certainly dont want to be given the choice of either not mentioning the problem or leaving the country.

My" good "list outweighs my "bad"list ,thats my opinion ,just as Tenakoutous experience is different.

As for "why not just leave" its about on the same level as "why dont they eat cake".

When one of the"why not leave" people, offers to pay forTenakoutous property ,then I am sure he will be happy to leave.

Hippo

Message Posted:
08/11/2009 07:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

Ps , personal insults will not be tolerated , they are against board rules as you well know , so i am deleting this post for that very reason , i trust you will understand !--- Simbas

ballymurphy

Message Posted:
08/11/2009 08:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

Why do some people on this board get so upset when someone criticizes the TRNC. The person has probably had a bad experience here and is giving honest advice to the person who asked. I would say to NorthSouth have you given any thought to moving to Turkey ?

Geoff

Message Posted:
08/11/2009 08:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

No real problem moving to the North from the South, as already suggested get a reliable removal firm in the North to handle it.

The ONLY problem seems to be the thorny issue of a Residence Permit for the TRNC. This is (initially) annual, is very expensive (medical, Mr Fixit fees etc), requires a Medical, and a pile of paperwork. In the South you get a Residence Permit for life now if you are an EU Citizen.

Hopefully this nonsense will cease with any agreement/settlement. Oh LOOK! ANOTHER FLYING PIG.

rdsteve

Message Posted:
08/11/2009 10:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

Where you live is a personal thing. Both sides are not without there problems title deeds, residency, cost of living, and both Goverments who see the Britsh as the gravey train to swell there coffers. People have good & bad experiences on both sides but at the end of the day it is you and only you who can make the decision. Paperwork in the North is more difficult to do but they can be orkward in the South. Before you make a decision spend a couple of weeks in the North exploring the area you are thinking about moving to, talk to people in that area and then look at the bigger picture and say to yourself is it worth spending all that money just to move 80k north to have possibly the same as i already have?. Remember the South is in the EU and yes it is possible you will like the North better but as i said it is a personal decision that will not get answered on this forum because you will get opinions for moving and not moving from pople with different experiences.

Steve

cyprusjoker

Message Posted:
08/11/2009 11:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

Ballymurphy, its not the fact of having a pop at speaking out, its the fact of him/her having pop at another person. Im with Hippo on this, an ignorant man/woman whatever his/her situation..

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.