North Cyprus Tourist Board - Best internet providers
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Best internet providers

Best internet providers

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

spanna

Message Posted:
10/01/2010 18:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 26 in Discussion

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some opinions on internet providers... Have been using turkcell 3G and am pretty happy with it but our year subscription is about to expire and I think the price has gone up so we are considering changing provider.

Wondered what your experiences are and what people consider to be the best value for money?

Thanks and Happy New Year!!

proger1

Message Posted:
10/01/2010 19:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 26 in Discussion

I can only recommend one as it is all I have tried apart from Turkcell 3G. I had to sit outside to get a good signal with 3G and so I went Nethouse.

I will admit it has gone down a couple of times but they have always come as quickly as they could to repair it, even when it was just because the strong wind had blown the reciever till it was pointing towards Turkey, hence no signal.

The other thing I can say is that the unlimited is exactly that, I have heard that others have unlimited up to a maximum for the month.

I hope it helps and if you live in the east side go and see H&N Computers, they sorted it all out for me.

Hope this helps, Paul

teatime

Message Posted:
10/01/2010 19:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 26 in Discussion

Any idea of prices please Paul?

Moover321

Message Posted:
10/01/2010 19:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 26 in Discussion

Internet Service Provider (ISP).

In the TRNC you are likely to get a company which could qualify as Internet Provider (though some may even argue that the word 'Provider' has to be used in a very loose sense) - but don't, whatever else you do, is to expect Service!

It is an an effective "duopoly" and the "market" or should that read the TRNC government with vested interests do not want any new players to enter

When there is little or no competition in the market there is no need to improve the service and they can charge almost what they like and 'get away with it' as they are answerable to no one.

I'm with Nethouse.

Has been down regularly. If you lose connection don't waste your time and money trying to contact their helpline. They have an automated system which ostensibly 'should' connect you to an English speaking technician but I can tell you I have tried maybe 100+ times (no exagerration) and I have NOT ONCE connected to technical support

Cont'd...

Moover321

Message Posted:
10/01/2010 19:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 26 in Discussion

Cont'd..

I have even tried to get through to their Turkish support - and failed. Tried to contact Girne HO - don't answer when lines are out

The things not to expect and this is more or less what their 'customer services manager' said to me:

1. Don't expect the same level of service as you get in the UK - this is the TRNC.

2. Don't expect people to return your calls or log a complaint - they really don't deal with it.

3. Don't expect an apology or a rationale for loss of service - as the standard reason will be given to you (a) We have a technical problem (b) Rain affects our transmitters (c) Our engineers are improving the service etc,.

The things you can expect (my perspective).

1. You will be charged no matter if you have had a good service or not!

2. If you fail to pay on time - you WILL be PROMPTLY disconnected - no warning given (happened to a friend of mine in his business - not because he did not pay but because they thought he had not paid!

Cont'd...

Moover321

Message Posted:
10/01/2010 19:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 26 in Discussion

Cont'd

3. If you have an appointment for a technician to come and install a wireless router (they would NOT let me do it myself - have no idea why it's not that difficult or technical) they will NOT come at the appointed time, you will not get a call to tell you they are late or not coming and when you finally go to their office and complain - they will tell you they did not know how to find where you lived and it was too much of an effort to call you for directions!

Why am I still with Nethouse? Better the devil you know It's Hobson's choice

What I can say is H & N Computers next to Moss are superb! Polite, efficient and very helpful. They are Nethouse agents and will look after you. However, there is a limit to what even they can do when Nethouse behaves like a 'NUTHOUSE'

So - you pay your money and take your choice - not cheap!

230 TL for 3 months for 1024 (never get this)

Plus you pay for the router and upgrade Contracts all in Turkish - no translation

spanna

Message Posted:
10/01/2010 20:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 26 in Discussion

Hmmm... doesn't sound like much of a choice... What about other people? Thanks Paul and Moover... Much appreciated.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
10/01/2010 20:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 26 in Discussion

RE msg 4-5-6, Moover321: I disagree with (some) points in your long list and here's my main objection: I needed service twice in three years, informed the Kyrenia office by phone (in English) and promptly got the requested service via this Kyrenia office - even once during Bayram (technician from Nicosia). I don't profit from this message in any way but I write it because Nethouse is my third provider in three years and I still have nightmares when I remember provider one and two.

Moover321

Message Posted:
10/01/2010 20:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 26 in Discussion

DutchCrusader:

I cannot say that you have not had good service - as I take your word for it.

However, I can relate to you my experience - which is what was asked for in this thread!

For better or worse - I am still with Nethouse - not out of choice as there is really no choice - but better the devil you know.

Perhaps you have just been lucky, perhaps I have just been unlucky.

Or perhaps after your experience with other Nethouse may be a decidedly sharp improvement.

A person's experience colours their perception.

Please, I do not doubt your word as it is your experience -however, neither can you disagree or object to what I have said, as it is my experience.

I hope we can agree on that

satranc

Message Posted:
10/01/2010 20:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 26 in Discussion

I'm with Nethouse and have been for a couple of years now. I've had the complete opposite experiences to Moover's. On the handful of occasions I've had to ring Lefkosa, I've always got through to an English speaking technician quickly. They have either sorted the problem out there and then, advised me if it is a general problem which will take "x" hours to sort out, or arranged for a call out the next day if it is a specific problem.

On the couple of occasions I have had to have a call out booked, I have received a phone call the next day asking me for directions to my house and a time when the engineer will be there and they have been pretty much spot on.

H&N computers next to Polar restaurant are fantastic as Moover has already intimated. Pop in and see them, you won't be disappointed.

In other threads on this subject Bortec and Digital Supreme are well liked by customers whereas Extend get mixed reviews.

I hope you find the right one for you!

scruff

Message Posted:
10/01/2010 21:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 26 in Discussion

I haven't always had internet all of the time. I have had some bad speeds sometimes, but I can always say that I have received very good service from Bora at Bortec.

Another case of better the devil that you know?

No, more a case of, by far the best of a bad lot. I still cringe when I remember my experience with Extend for only 3 mths. Still with Bortec & now into my 3rd year.

proger1

Message Posted:
11/01/2010 00:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 26 in Discussion

spanna,

If you go to nethouse.net and click on the black tiklaysin at the top of the page it will open the index. It is in turkish but if you open it with google translator it is well understandable.

Hope it helps, I agree that they are a little more expensive than some but apart from moovers problems everyone else I know has been happy with them but it is up to you

RoxyBob

Message Posted:
11/01/2010 07:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 26 in Discussion

Re Msg 8

I agree with Hans. Been with Nethouse since early November and the service has been very good. I also remember my previous Provider and there is no comparison.

nostradamus

Message Posted:
11/01/2010 08:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 26 in Discussion

Have a friend who has been with Haypem for some months now and has been extremely satisfied with them. She has 1MB and, although not quite getting this, it has been almost that and very consistent throughout. Haypem charged her no installation fee and the price is 70TL a month or 60TL a month if you pay 6 months in advance. Their shop is almost opposite Green Garage on the Alsancak-Lapta road. She was previously with Bortec who were charging 140TL a month for supposedly the same speed but it was very erratic.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
11/01/2010 08:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 26 in Discussion

Alot of people criticise Extend, but my experience has been nothing but positive. I had to go with Extend as neither Nethouse or SunnyCyprus were able to provide a service due to my location. Admittedly I have only been with them for about 6 months but in this time what few outages there have been have been relatively short (maximum 4 hours and normally less than 1 hour) and have normally followed a power cut. I paid 999TL for 12 months 1MB download which included installation. My download speeds are at least 1 meg and frequently a little higher. No complaints here.

Paul

smithy

Message Posted:
11/01/2010 08:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 26 in Discussion

I have been with Extend for 5 years and for the first part it was bad in the help Situation, but now they have a phone number for us Brits as a helpline I must say they are brilliant, So helpful

sheila

Carndi

Message Posted:
11/01/2010 09:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 26 in Discussion

Have been with Extend since it started and have no complaints. Always found them helpful and quick on the few occasions they have been called out.

minertor

Message Posted:
11/01/2010 11:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 26 in Discussion

I've been with Nethouse for about two years. Freeze account when I go back to UK for 5/6 months. Only problem I've had, apart from odd loss of service for short periods, was when I returned this year. Took a couple of days to reconnect. Girl in Girne office speaks English.

The only time I have been late paying, lose track with account freezing, a message was displayed on screen. It was in Turkish but easy enough to understand. I was cut off but by entering my username and password I was reconnected for two days free, to give time to sort out payment. Would recommend Nethouse to anyone.

Tony

spanna

Message Posted:
11/01/2010 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 26 in Discussion

Thanks everyone for such helpful advice... I really appreciate everyone taking the time to share their experiences. It's so hard with so many mixed experiences but it has certainly helped to narrow things down a little...We have signed up to 3G for one more month to buy us a bit of time and give us an opportunity to shop around a little!

Thanks again.

moxie

Message Posted:
12/01/2010 20:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 26 in Discussion

i have 3g.....its supposed to be running on a connection of 7 point something. but usually its 238.8 kbps...which is very slow and no good for Skype...dont think i will be renewing in June!!! i would say i get a fast good connection between the hrs of 9am -2 pm then its no good....Ozankoy...sometimes this bad connection lasts for weeks.

joanie1

Message Posted:
12/01/2010 21:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 26 in Discussion

I've been with Nethouse for two years now - apart from rather crude installation (outside wires - par for the course here!) have had no problems - girls in Girne office always very helpful and pleasant. Upgraded to 1024 recently - absolutely fine. Maybe the location helps - I live in Alsancak.

Joan

Moover321

Message Posted:
13/01/2010 09:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 26 in Discussion

Nethouse:

How many of those who are with Nethouse had no service all morning?

As I said in my earlier posting - this is what Nethouse are good at - providing no service, no explanation and no means to get in touch with them!

All I can summise is that those who have had no problems have simply been lucky!

ceg123

Message Posted:
13/01/2010 09:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 26 in Discussion

Extend. Been with them since the start. Very happy.

minertor

Message Posted:
13/01/2010 10:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 26 in Discussion

msg 22, you seem to be in the minority, moover321, Maybe it's you who is unlucky.

Tony

FrancesD

Message Posted:
08/03/2010 19:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 26 in Discussion

Does anyone know why you can only use paypal to pay for internet now.Last time Nethouse website had a pay by credit card section.

andrew4232

Message Posted:
08/03/2010 19:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 26 in Discussion

i have sunny cyprus not had any problems with there adsl service

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.