North Cyprus Tourist Board - Turkish Title - Does It Help???
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Turkish Title - Does It Help???

Turkish Title - Does It Help???

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
15/01/2010 10:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Does anybody know the truth about Turkish Title. This is based on message 15 of the new Orams thread..... http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/29368.asp

...... but rather than hijack it I am starting afresh.

Firstly, I think it is not possible for TRNC to change the titles of properties. The key is the Land Registry held in the South which designates ownership as in 1974. Remember that the world only accepts the South (and therefore their documentation) as legitimate.

I have been told their are consequent risks to Turkish Title. Does anybody know the answer to these 2 points, although I guess some of it will depend on the nature of any peace deal????

cont.........

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
15/01/2010 10:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

....cont

1) Over 200 villages, and many areas of the larger towns, expelled all Turkish Cypriots between 1963 and 1974 and many TC properties that were not destroyed were taken over by GCs. I have been told that some at least of such properties had new title deeds issued in favour of GCs. So a TC may still have a paper title to a property but cannot know if a new title was issued to supercede his. I was told that you need to do a search in the South's Land Registry.

2) If you do not register the sale in the South (is it possible even?) then their (the legitimate) Land Registry will still show the TC as the owner which might cause problems in the future. And if there are several links in the chain from the original registered owner to yourself then it could be even more complicated.

Pipie

Message Posted:
15/01/2010 10:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Good points .

So if we have deeds on ex change land is it wise to also get some documentation from the South ?

malsancak

Message Posted:
15/01/2010 11:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

There is nothing to stop the original TC owner selling "your" property in the future as currently you are not the legal owner, the pre-1974 owner is according the the Land Registry. This would suggest we are potentially all in the same boat whether we have TC or GC land. Of course, the original TC owner might do the right thing...

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
15/01/2010 11:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Message 3.

In both the North and South, exchange land is recognised as owned by a GC prior to 1974. The North has given the land to a TC in exchange for title deeds to equivalent land the TC owns in the South - but the GC owner and the South have never agreed to this "exchange". The idea is that in the event of re-unification the TRNC owns land in the South that is equivalent to land in the North that has been given to TCs. But again the South haven't agreed so they could easily ignore the whole scheme - give the TCs their rightful land in the South (if it is still registered to them) and repossess original GC land in the North.

The South treat it as a criminal offence to buy or sell exchange land. So you must never let the South know.

Pipie

Message Posted:
15/01/2010 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Cheers Jovial John .

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.