North Cyprus Tourist Board - Wage for an English teacher?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Wage for an English teacher?

Wage for an English teacher?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Schools Posts

Pixie

Message Posted:
19/01/2010 13:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Does anyone know what the typical wage is for a native speaker english teacher for a k-12 school. I know what Teachers are earning in Levent schools,Near east college and metu (at the prep school of the uni )but I would like to know what to expect from schools in kyrenia like sunny lane. english school of kyrenia and gau.

If anyone has an approximate amount please post in reply. thanx

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
28/01/2010 13:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

ESK pay twice as much as the Sunny Lane School and they also actually pay their staff what they are owed(not something SL is known for)!

GOOD LUCK,

G

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
28/01/2010 14:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

From 2003 to 2007 typically English Teachers at GAU were being paid 50% above National Minimum Wage for a 40 hour week, although their contract only ever stated they would be paid the national minimum wage. They used it as a tax fiddle. Wage was paid in 2 portions. on the 1st of the month, in Turkish Lira (National Minimum Wage) then on the 15th, in Euros upto the equivalent 50% above Minimum Wage.

Don't really imagine that much has changed in the intervening years.....but I could be wrong.

Pixie

Message Posted:
28/01/2010 22:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

So ıf the minimum wage is 1200 tl gau offer around 2300tl? thats not too bad for the first year, but I hear they are unprofessional and have a shortage of students so had to sack many teachers. Or could it be that they got rid of the teachers who werent good enough like levent college? Cyprus is a nightmare for work anyways, Its not what you know but who you know....

Maz

Message Posted:
28/01/2010 23:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Wish I had got 2300 when I was there. I got nearer to 1000tl, and my students all said they loved me to death, so I could not have been that bad. It was not quality of teachers that causing the sacking, but changing internal policies. (I left before all this). I think if you can afford to live on your income (or have private income) and love teaching and the students that you have, then the money aspect is not too important. I don't think anyone should come to Cyprus to earn real money - it is the experience. If you are looking for good money, then go to the Emirates, or Oman, or some other foreign field that is NOT Cyprus.

Pixie

Message Posted:
15/02/2010 15:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Well the wages in Istanbul are $2500-$3200 plus housing or housing allowance, free schooling for your kids, pension plan, private insurance and money increases every year and also- getting paid 12 months of the year.

Private tuition 100-150 tl per hour not including transport and materials.

My husband has agreed for us to move back next January. I hope he doesnt change his mind.

Pipie

Message Posted:
16/02/2010 09:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

pixie .

12 months ago our friend earned £1,000 per month in TRNC school . She has now left TRNC so I am not sure what the pay scale is now . Hope this helps !!

ClaireCat44

Message Posted:
16/02/2010 12:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

I was an English teacher in istanbul from 1996 until I moved here in 2002. In 1997 my salary was 1500 dollars and it increased every year. My rent was paid as well. My salary when I started at YDU was less than 700 tl ! I'm happy to say that this HAS increased, however my salary here will never be the same as it was when I left istanbul. We are really struggling on our salaries now as it has become SO EXPENSIVE here. Most teachers have to do private lessons or take on a second job to survive. I had a very comfortably life in istanbul, but everything changed at 3.02am on 17 August 1999, and in the end I had no choice but to move as I was on tranquilizers and was in a contstant state of panic. However, I can't think of a better place to live than here in North Cyprus. Money is important, but it is not the most important thing in life.

Pogle

Message Posted:
16/02/2010 13:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

What happened at 3.02 on the 17 August 1999?

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
16/02/2010 13:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

1999 Turkish Earthquake

An earthquake measuring 6.8 - 7.0 on the Richter Scale.

The earthquake occurred on Tuesday 17th August at 3.02 a.m. local time (12 am GMT). The earthquake lasted 45 seconds.

The epicentre of the earthquake was near the industrial city of Izmit, about 55 miles east of Istanbul, Turkey.

Pixie

Message Posted:
17/02/2010 09:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

ClairCat44 I really dont want to alarm you but North Cyprus is no better or worse than Turkey as we are also suscept to earthquakes and even sinking belown sea level on a few occasions in the past.

But I can really understand where you are coming from. I was on holiday at the time of the earthquake so I never experienced the tragedy firsthand and it must have been a traumatic experience for you. I can also understand about your panic, because I also had that when we first moved here. I didnt feel safe in my house because we came from a very secure compound and I couldnt sleep at night for a year, no amount of reasoning would help me and I even thought about going to a psychiatrist- but I calmed down after a year when I realised that none of our homes had been burgled (20 villas on site) and I also got a bank safe to put all my valuables in, so now Im not always rushing home.

Pixie

Message Posted:
17/02/2010 10:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

We are just finding it really difficult to get by here, and I am forced to travel 3 days per week, its hard for my husband and I. The difference in earnings for us is like a combined income of 4000 tl per month here, and in Istanbul it would be something like 20 000tl

if you dont have a torpil - which we dont, and if you dont work for the government life is extra hard.

Im also worried about a decent preschool for my little boy as we live in Nicosia and it would be hard to get him to Kyrenia.We want him to grow up bilingual so he needs to go to an English medium preschool.

I guess Im just not tough enough to brave things out here, and even though Im of Cypriot origin, Im finding things here very hard, and somethimes very strange. It would make a fantastic place to retire, but at this stage in our lives we need more than this...

Perhaps I could give you some of my privates when I go back if you have the time. I will post on here when its time anyway...

millzer

Message Posted:
17/02/2010 11:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

In Istanbul 20,000 TL, per MONTH !!!!! Thats over a £100K per year!

ClaireCat44

Message Posted:
17/02/2010 12:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks Pixie, I'd love some of your students when you go!! I feel much safer here because it is the buildings that kill you in earthquakes and here I don't live in a flat so I can escape quickly. If I go out, I have to be able to see the door and my office at the uni has access out onto the canteen roof so I can get out. Since the earthquake I have never been able to go to the cinema again (I did try but being in the dark with loud booming sound completely freaked me out!) , I can't go down into bodrom kat and I get extremely agitated if I have to go higher than the first floor! I'm ok with thunder now (as are the cats!) so there has been a slight improvement and I haven't had a panic attack for about 4 years now. Regarding burglaries.... when I first moved out here I was shown a ground floor flat in a two-storey building in Girne and I told the agent that I couldn't possibly live on the ground floor as I was a single woman and I would feel extremely unsafe. He laughed and said 'this i

ClaireCat44

Message Posted:
17/02/2010 12:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

'this is Cyprus! If a car radio gets taken, it makes the front page of the papers!'. I lived there for 18 months and never had a problem, but that was going back a few years! Anyway, I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.

Pixie

Message Posted:
17/02/2010 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

re msg 13

yes im earning betweeb 100tl-150 tl per hour and I am only doing 2 hours per kid. most people want 4.but I simply dont have the time.

if you work in a k12 school and get 4500tl plus housing insurance and pension plan, plus 20 hours a week of privates thats around what ? 12500?

thats for an average teacher. I earn more because of my experience, references and contacts.

Im even thinking of setting up a consulting company that places nannies, teachers etc but its dirty work...

Pogle

Message Posted:
17/02/2010 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Message 9.

Shame on me for forgetting the date of the earthquake and my wedding. I got married in Turkey one week after the earthquake. We were 2 hrs from Istanbul in a town built on very steep hills, there were many aftershocks which were very scary. Many people at the wedding had lost a relative.

We also flew out of the USA, over New York the night of September 10th, just missing the September 11 disaster.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.