North Cyprus Tourist Board - Stray Dogs
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Stray Dogs

Stray Dogs

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 12:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 36 in Discussion

Hi all

I am sure there is probably already a thread on stray dogs but I just wanted to ask has anyone else had any problems in their area/complex with stray dogs and how have they dealt with them? We have a few on our complex and some people are really concerned about them. Is there a dog catcher!!!!??

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 14:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 36 in Discussion

Any ideas please?

simbas

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 14:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 36 in Discussion

i'm sorry nicky , i have no idea , we do have some dogs on our site , but they are not a nuicance , perhaps lesleyd would know ! or perhaps you could contact a local vet for information

regards , pat

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 14:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 36 in Discussion

as far as I know, each belediye has its own district officer? Or maybe its just the main office Girne, and he covers a wide area.

No doubt they will not be registered, so you can tell them about it.

Or alternatively, maybe KAR can be contacted, as they were running a neuturing and tagging scheme. They used to come and collect them.

Its a while since I have heard what they are doing, so it might have been stopped as they are strapped for cash I think.

denali2007

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 15:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 36 in Discussion

When we were out there in April, we saw a van dump about 4 pups and their mother outside our complex. They ran away but we could still hear them crying down the valley. Next day they were gone, and I can only hope that they were taken in and cared for.

I was told at the time that KAR would probably have come to see what could be done, but they must be overrun with dogs if this is what is happening.

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 15:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 36 in Discussion

Simbas - do the dogs poo on the site? Does this irritate people or arent they too bothered?

Thanks everyone else who has replied. Will see what can be done if they are still around.

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 15:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 36 in Discussion

I should also say they dont particularly bother me as we dont encourage them to come near us but some people they do bother.

dodger

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 15:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 36 in Discussion

bhw,

It really is a big problem and very upsetting if you are an animal lover like me.Several stray dogs gather at the roundabout close to the pia bella hotel in Girne and can become very agressive i imagine because they are hungry.

I was told a story recently that some locals who hunt take their dogs with them up into the mountains and when they have finished hunting they get in their respective vehicles and leave the dogs behind to fend for themselves.I honestly dont know what the answer is but something needs to be done about it,

Paul.

simbas

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 15:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 36 in Discussion

hi nicky , quite surprisingly i have never witnessed any , if thats what they are doing around your site ,i have to add our site is'nt finished yet , there is still a lot of open ground so i suppose the dogs use that area but i can sympathise with you , its not pleasant any any standard , hope you find a solution soon

regards , simbas

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 16:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 36 in Discussion

i seriously believe its an education thing - animals here are treated 100% different than we would treat them. Its not that they are cruel or anything, its more a feeling that animals come fairly low down on the old food chain as it were. This is both historical and cutural, as dogs were either working animals or guard animals for sheep etc. Cypriots that I know, refuse to get their animals wotsits cut off because its less manly!! therefore they obviously breed like rabbits and subsequently you have dumping going on.

I share a dog (well she prefers living with me!) with my cypriot friend, an American Pit Bull Terrier, but I was insistent that we train her as effectively as possible due to their reputation and strength, and when she goes to him for a few days every now and again, she is fed proper dog food and biscuits instead of slops now, which is great. I also fought tooth and nail to have her spade as well, as they were scared she would become moody and dull. Far from it, she is a wonderful, energetic and friendly dog.

They saw that her condition and personality were improved due to the way I cared for her, and now they are really proud of her. Previously she would probably have been chained, which you should NEVER do with a Pit Bill. she is a real gem of a dog and would be completley lost without her!

Hilltop

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 16:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 36 in Discussion

If the authorities are called onto a development to deal with stray dogs the dogs are usually shot. What else can you do with them? As they are wild/feral, they are almost impossible to catch, and if you did, what then?

HH, there is a reason for Pit Bulls being on the dangerous dogs list and being banned in the UK. We have all heard Mrs Bloggs on the TV saying " she was a lovely dog, very placid, I can't believe she tore that child to pieces".

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 16:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 36 in Discussion

I do agree, and the history of bad breeding has given this wonderful dog a terrible reputation. However, any dog can do damage, but these in particular, need some special care and attention with training. If this happens you can end up with one of the most loyal and people friendly breeds on this earth.

I do know what you saying, but looking at these types of attacks, you again cannot generalise - my dog has given nothing but affection to people and donkeys!!

As with all dogs, if you stick a bitch with a bitch you may get some threats between them both, and the usual 'food time' menace, but apart from that you cannot generalise.

Hilltop

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 16:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 36 in Discussion

I agree re' not generalising, but is any risk worth taking? These are very powerful and dangerous dogs who can turn in an instant. They only need to be annoyed by a child when your back is turned, and who knows?

Why take the risk?

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 16:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 36 in Discussion

I guess - can't argue with you really, but I have the faith in her that others wouldn't I guess. I didn't got into it blind as it wouldn't have been the first breed I would have gone for. I did my research, read the history, learned training techniques, and did what i could to make sure I could do my best, and so far so good. I have seen many dogs here, that are just a lost cause, powerful dogs that have been so neglected that they have been put down in the end because indeed they could be classed as dangerous.

Dog fighting is still a popular past-time here, and as the history books say, these fighting dogs had to be level headed and people friendly, as they were often taken out of the fight, so people needed to be able to handle them freely. They were often coated in poison years ago to repel their opponent in the pit, and the referees had to take the dogs away prior to the fight to hose them down. So, personally for me, its been the 'breed for greed' that has sadly given them the reputation they have now.

Anyway, could bleet on for ages about it, but I can appreciated personal opinion is hard to swing on this issue!

Hilltop

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 16:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 36 in Discussion

Fair enough. In your opinion the risk is worth it "you have faith".

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 17:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 36 in Discussion

dodger I think I have seen some of these dogs before at the Pia Bella roundabout - just running into the road etc. I wanted to close my eyes because I thought one would get run over.

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 17:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 36 in Discussion

they are wise old hounds, and have never witnessed them being aggresive at all. regulars there in the summer when the belediye come to water the grass! keep fingers crossed that they never get run over.

it is a problem though, as the amount of us europeans over here on holiday, are not used to seeing them pounding the streets, and when they are in a pack it can be quite daunting.

not sure what the solution is really - again something the TRNC gov't does not seem to be able to tackle.

newlad

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 20:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 36 in Discussion

Hot Hornet,

I it really true though that the dogs are taken into the mountains for huntng and then left there,

Paul.

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
17/06/2008 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 36 in Discussion

hi newlad

yes i believe so, although I have never witnessed it - maybe the dog has not performed well over the hunting season perhaps, or new batches of pups will be ready for the following year.

i think that these dogs have the worst lives, as many get chained up most of the year, and then get freedom for a few months over winter time for hunting. surprised more of them don't actually run away rather than there are abandoned ones!

lesleyd

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 17:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 36 in Discussion

As frequent visitor to North Cyprus I have seen the dogs that rome the streets and also been involved with quite a few of them and found that most all they want from you is maybe a few scraps and some love at the end of the day these poor animals don't ask to be born but like any other person or animal they do feel pain and have feelings and I think on the whole most of them are ok dogs. We visit the Kyrenia animal rescue every time we are over and take some of the dogs out for a walk they are always so happy to go back as they know that they have somewhere they think is home and also they get fed its just a shame that more people don't get up there to give a helping hand and witness the good work that these guys do.

newlad

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 21:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 36 in Discussion

Lesleyd,

We to have visited the animal rescue it really is a heart wrencher,

Paul.

lesleyd

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 21:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 36 in Discussion

Yes Paul it sure is but what a good job the guys up there do they must have well over a hundred dogs and god knows how many cats, but it amazes me that when you take the dogs out for a walk you can take them off the lead and they are just so happy to have someone with them even for a little while they never try to run off and always seem happy to go back to their pens I always think to myself that all these poor animals that have so much love to give plus fun why more people don't try to give them a home or just even give a helping hand to a very worthy cause.

newlad

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 21:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 36 in Discussion

Lesleyd,

If i had alot of land over there i would make sure that they never wanted for anything again.It breaks my wifes heart when we have to leave them,

Have to go the old bottom lips going,

Paul.

lesleyd

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 01:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 36 in Discussion

Yes Paul I know what you mean both my husband and I are the same we still live in the UK at the moment but when we come to Cyprus we try and bring things over with us that we have begged from pet shops my husband also does the web site for them free of charge of course as it was in dire need of a face lift, I take my hat off to the people that work up there as they are working every single day of the year to help these poor animals.

simbas

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 07:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 36 in Discussion

what can we do to help lesleyd ??????

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 13:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 36 in Discussion

food would be good!

The last article I read said that KAR had relied quite heavily on donations from the UK which have now finished sadly. They also get the armies scraps, but have to sift through them to pick out fag ends, plastic bits, metal etc etc. I really don't envy the volunteers, they do a fantastic job.

at the moment they are asking for squashed tin cans to be left at the office in Girne, so when you are all over, you can remember and take them some. They then pass them on and get paid pennies in return.

They are having to think really hard about how to raise money these days - very sad.

lesleyd

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 14:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 36 in Discussion

Hi Hornet

This is very true and some of the other jobs they have to do are quite bad also. Hi Simbas anything that you can think of really before we go over we always contact as many petshops and pet warehouses in out local area asking if they would kindly donate and had quite a good response last yr. Collars and Leeds flea sprays cat and dog shampoo's grooming kits cat or dog food but that's only if your already in Cyprus as its quite expensive to take out as well as heavy. Also they are doing special avents which I do post on the Cyprus 44 forum but people don't seem to be interested at all in these events, which is quite a shame really as they are good fun days or nights out plus you get to meet the guys that run the place who are a fantastic bunch who work their heart and souls out for these animals. Also if you live in Cyprus maybe volunteer to give them a helping hand as they are so very short staffed or maybe just go up there now and again to walk the dogs if your throwing anything out that might be ok to sell give it to their charity shop any little thing helps. They are getting quite desperate now as funds are quite low and they are not sure how long they are going to be able to carry on doing this work for the animals so any donations are very welcome, it would be such a shame after all the good work these people have done that all of these beautiful animals could end up all being put to their death.

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 15:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 36 in Discussion

WOW Lesleyd - you really are an animal hero - well done you for taking your time to help like that.

Wish there were more people like you around!

Good luck for all you do.

lesleyd

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 16:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 36 in Discussion

Thank you very much Hornet but just had a little good news from the animal rescue at KAR they have just re homed three dogs I know three isn't a lot compared to the number of animals they have up there but even one is better than none at all, I also do quite a bit of work for children in need which is also very important to me. Animals, Children & Old People I have all the time in the world for them.

phylray

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 22:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 36 in Discussion

For me children come first, then old people then animals. This post started as

a problem with stray dogs causing problems on our site. No-one is doing anything it so far despite numerous complaints to management.

lesleyd

Message Posted:
25/06/2008 23:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 36 in Discussion

I quite agree with you phylray but isnt this animal problem stem from thoughtless people in the first place??

phylray

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 01:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 36 in Discussion

lesleyd

Yes, it does. I know that students at E.M.university in Famagusta bought puppies & when they went back to Turkey they left them for others to care for

They were looked after pretty well, but grew in number. One day they were

all shot. I do know that a lovely Turkish lady, and artist was trying to save a bitch with litter after another was poisoned at Salamis, but there was no-one to

take over when we all had to leave. I brought my cat back with me from Bahrain as I couldn'tleave her not knowing what would happen after - a pet is for life & even though she ruins my house I will keep her to the end.

lesleyd

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 12:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 36 in Discussion

students at university?? then maybe its about time they went to university to learn how to be more responsible towards animals if only people would get their animals spayed or newted I am sure that this would be a great help towards keeping the number of animals down that are plainly not wanted once they have served their use. Plus I also think that the people that go to the Kar Rescue to get dogs just for the hunting then when its over leaving the poor things to fend for themselves they should be made to pay a hefty fine which should then go to the animal rescue to help towards the cost of vet bills and the keep of the animals that they have to pick up once again after they have been tossed aside.

Tiggy

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 14:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 36 in Discussion

lesleyd,

you are a real caring person and my respect to you.

Tiggy

lesleyd

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 18:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 36 in Discussion

Thank you very much tiggy.

Laptalocal

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 16:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 36 in Discussion

I think its worth contacting KAR.. Obviously they are limited in resources, but if they can help they will. If the dogs are healthy & adult, then where possible, they will neuter and tag them, although they will then be released again which won't really help with them hanging around. If any pups are dumped, or with the other strays however, then KAR will try to take and rehome them. Unfortunately, for every 10 or so dogs they get, only 1 is likely to be rehomed - there are just so many. If you can't actually rehome a dog, then any help at all is beneficial. Its probably best not to complain to the officials though, as in my experience, they just destroy them, or people end up putting posion down which is just awful.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.