North Cyprus Tourist Board - Television query- whats for free?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Television query- whats for free?

Television query- whats for free?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

mixie

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 06:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 21 in Discussion

Can anyone tell me what I would see if I brought a TV from britain to NC and plugged it in?

Someone told me I would see nothing as everyone subscribes to a Package.

Can someone clarify?

mx

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 06:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 21 in Discussion

mixie

First of all you will be able to receive terrestrial TV channels using an ordinary TV antenna but depending on your TV (multi-standard?) will depend on whether you will be able to receive sound as well as picture. Secondly if you manage to get that sorted then unless you understand the Turkish language you will not find anything of interest which is why everyone goes for a satellite package with which your television should work.

AJ

mixie

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 06:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 21 in Discussion

Thanks AJ so I might be better to take a telly that has a built in DVD so at least we can watch that.

I don't want to have any other costs for a TV for less than 2 months use a year

mx

Groucho

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 07:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 21 in Discussion

As AJ sys UK standard TVs don't really work for terrestrial TV which is mostly very poorly acted Turkish stuff, sorry and Turks or TCs out there but the acting is bettered by the Woodentops... it's all pregnant pauses, dodgy moustaches and odd facial expressions!

If you install a Nilesat satellite package (for £115 I see in the this weeks Cyprus Today paper) you will get over 500 channels, with about 10 to 15 you might be interested in. They are FTA (Free To Air) so no further payments are required...

There are other subscription based options.. they each have their adherents from 4.2m Sky packages down to Dopi TV.

The best compromise I think is what my neighbour has, 1.8 metre dish (on the ground for about 300 dollars) and a Sky card registered to their UK address.

We make do with DigiTurk as it has nearly all the programs we like to watch. We aren't into UK soaps. But it does get Eastenders and Doctors on BBC Prime if that's what you want.

susief

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 07:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 21 in Discussion

Actually there is some watchable stuff on terrestrial tv - there's two university channels, GAU and Near East I think, which both show US dramas and films in English. There's also ASTV channel which shows more US dramas, the Simpsons, and films in English. And there's a new channel called FOG which shows films non-stop - most are in Turkish but some are in English.

Plus watching films in Turkish (some have English subtitles) is a great way to learn the language!

Supplement that with DVDs and it's a nice alternative to forking out a load of cash

mixie

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 09:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 21 in Discussion

Many thanks all.

I didn't want to fork out too much money for something that wouldn't be used but I could run to the Nilesat deal

Mx

Groucho

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 09:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 21 in Discussion

Susief makes a good point about learning Turkish... the same applies to DigiTurk as most programs have Turkish subtitles. We find this helps enormously with putting Turkish phrases into context.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 10:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 21 in Discussion

susief

'Actually there is some watchable stuff on terrestrial tv - there's two university channels, GAU and Near East I think, which both show US dramas and films in English. There's also ASTV channel which shows more US dramas, the Simpsons, and films in English. And there's a new channel called FOG which shows films non-stop - most are in Turkish but some are in English.'

The problem is that because this part of the island is dominated by a mountain range it means that terrestrial tv reception is very hit and miss. What you can receive on your tv might not be available to some one else 50km's down the road. The same is true with VHF radio reception.

AJ

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 10:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 21 in Discussion

Susief

We have had Nilesat for about 15 months and are very pleased with the choice of programmes available to us.

For a one off payment of just over £100, it takes some beating.

Paul

susief

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 21 in Discussion

AJ - you're right, reception is a bit hit and miss at times!

Paul - Sounds like a good deal but sadly no spare £100 lying around. I'll stick with my local tv and dvds for now

negativenick

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 13:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 21 in Discussion

and they laughed when i said i was getting a 4.2m dish.....

andre 514

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 20:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 21 in Discussion

so nick, that was actually a "positive" decision you took? sorry!

at the risk of repeating what others have said, you have two free to air satellites that are accessible

with a cheap 90cm dish and basic fta satbox for an installed cost of about £100

there is eutelsat hotbird 6/7 that gets you french german russian italian etc

you also have nilesat which includes about seven free english/american services from the gulf

both of these offer bbc prime by card about a hundred quid a year and bbc world news, free

alternatively access programmes on the internet from iplayer etc...

you need a fake uk ip address, see earlier correspondence, otherwise you will find you are blocked

andre

Geoff

Message Posted:
20/03/2010 09:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 21 in Discussion

Re Msg 11: Yes, they laughed at me when I bought a 2.4m dish 5 years ago, but I get all SKY channels except BBC1, ITV2, BBC2 - and I can get those via the internet (WWW.filmon.com ). I buy the SKY package to a UK address and brought the card and SKY Box out here. I pay for the £23 pcm package. I also have a FTA box that when on the same dish I get things from the BBC such as Snooker Darts, Wimbledon, The Proms, The Boat Race etc etc.

You can ask on here about the price of 2.4m dishes, I sure someone will respond with a good price.

Geoff

Famagusta City

ronie

Message Posted:
20/03/2010 10:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 21 in Discussion

I think you will need a tv for more than two months a year.Winter weather goes on for ever.Not quite Sunny Cyprus you know.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/03/2010 11:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 21 in Discussion

Dear Mixie

You can bring your UK TV out and it will work FINE to receive sat tv..

DO NOT buy a UK TV with a built in DVD player.. buy the DVD player in Cyprus as you might have a problem with them if your DVD player is confined to playing region 2 DVDs ..most in CY will play a DVD from ANYWHERE

re UK TV - If you want SKY a well installed 1.8m will suffice in Kyrenia/Girne area ( save for BBC-1-4) but you CAN get ITV 1 if you have a current subscription card - it may have to be tuned in using add channels - but you'd get it..

A 2.4m is better in Famagusta district

A 4.2m will get you all the BBCs / ITV/ c4 / five,etc

a 1m - (don't accept less - you'll know WHY when it rains) will get you Nilesat- and about 8 watchable eng lang channels - ithout a subscription.

Sandcastle

Message Posted:
20/03/2010 16:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 21 in Discussion

I was once warned against the tvs with built in DVD. Dont know why but something along the lines if the DVD goes wrong then you need to buy a new tv and DVD. Dosent seem logical as you could just buy a new DVD and plug it in.

We bought over a seperate tv and DVD. TV from Currys with and extra £30 insurance to cover all things fo rth enext 3 years. Including accidental brakage (incase it broke in flight!!!). And a £13 DVD player from ASDA. Have to say it is the best DVD player we have ever had. Very small and plays every DVD and CDs we have ever bought. Including all the Cyprus ones! As it is small, if it brakes its very easy to bring a new one over in your hand luggage.

mixie

Message Posted:
20/03/2010 20:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 21 in Discussion

Hey folks thanks for all your advice

Mx

Jefferson

Message Posted:
18/05/2010 21:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 21 in Discussion

i have been told that signing up to sky player in the UK will give me access to all my now paid for UK channels through my laptop. Is this something that any one does or is this not cost effective.(I am looking to use a lead to play through the TV.

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
18/05/2010 22:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 21 in Discussion

mmmmmmmmmm

hi

i can get 4 itc and five on my 1.8 dish now

bought irdeto lnb much better then the original

best best bet bring your uk sky box out with you

or get a sat box unlocked from the albanians in denton nr manchester!!! they do work here seen it with my own eyes!!

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
18/05/2010 22:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 21 in Discussion

ps cost 200 quid and they will email you the code to update as many times as you want

usually done once or twice in 15 month ish period for a tenner

they keep em under the counter and they are a wizz with electronics

cant call the pot kettle thingy as this side is full of fake this and copied that

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
18/05/2010 22:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 21 in Discussion

pps blighters even have a web site!!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.