North Cyprus Tourist Board - Returned to Heathrow on BA yesterday from Larnaca
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Returned to Heathrow on BA yesterday from Larnaca

Returned to Heathrow on BA yesterday from Larnaca

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

TheScarlets

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 41 in Discussion

After being stranded for 10 days by BA (which was great) I was shocked to see how many empty seats there were on the plane, 28 in the back section and even more towards the front.

When I spoke with the stewardess she told me that this had not been uncommon recently but BA were happy to sell seats to customers at a premium rate despite many people still being stranded. She was not a happy BA employee! We know of a few who are going back over the next few days who could easily have been accommodated on the flight.

With people incurring extra costs and losing income through their inability to work I find the attitude of BA disappointing at least.

Has anyone else experienced similar?

Ian

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 09:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 41 in Discussion

Was your flight re-booked with BA?

Ours was cancelled from Heathrow on 19TH April and we were told by them that they were not taking any re-bookings until after the 28TH, even though looking on the website there were empty seats on most flights.

TheScarlets

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 10:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 41 in Discussion

We were due to fly on the 18th but on that morning took a call from BA to say that the earliest possible flight to return was the 28th. Asked to go on standby but was told again the 28th would be the first opportunity. They were selling seats for 625 Euros one way for the flight the day before and I know of a few who returned over the past week who have said there was spare capacity there also but no room for those stranded. Some planes coming over were half empty

Ian

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 10:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 41 in Discussion

It does make you wonder what they are paying at. Perhaps it was in the hope that people would pay the inflated fare if they were desperate enough.

Ailletoo

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 41 in Discussion

Disappointing, but Typical.

wattys

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 41 in Discussion

The answer is dont book with BA. they are already the most expensive without resorting to daylight robbery.

Perhaps Willie Walsh needs another bonus.

Geoff

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 13:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 41 in Discussion

Re No.6: He doesn't need another bonus, but I bet he'll get one anyway!

Geoff

stusimpson

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 13:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 41 in Discussion

I'm a Captain with BA and have been involved in numerous 'extra' flights to repatriate passengers over the last few weeks.BA have put on a massive amount of extra flights to return passengers back to the UK at no extra expense.This is after paying substantially more for hotels/meals than the majority of other airlines.

I can assure this disgruntled staff member that if she actually read the communications that her employer sends her, she would see that BA did not sell ANY seats over the last 10 days unless it was at the absolute highest seat rate.The rest of the seats were purely to return passengers stranded over seas. Hardly anyone paid these prices if she had bothered to check her emails once again she'd realise this, most other airlines continued selling normally, reducing the seats available to stranded passengers.

Maybe if she reads the feedback from passengers she would find that BA have been excellent at looking after passengers.

cont:

stusimpson

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 13:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 41 in Discussion

Most flights I have flown have been full, but during the crisis many people didn't turn up as they'd caught other flights, transport.There is simply no truth in BA flying empty aircraft while people are stranded, think about it.

Its all very well armchair generals second guessing and pretending they know an airlines strategy but having seen it from the sharp end and the planning involved, I'm glad BA pulled out all the stops.If Willie hadn't sent the jumbo up and put his neck on the line, we might all still be grounded by this ash cloud.

The cabin crew dispute in my eyes is now unacceptable , they may still go on strike because they now want all their cheap tickets returned for striking.Sorry but if a staff group wants to put the passengers through hell again over this minor perk(and it is) then thats sad.I suspect this stewardess was bitter about the dispute.

Also Walsh is a FTSE 100 CEO , his salary is lower than most, whats the problem?

I'm a regular LCA flyer and always

stusimpson

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 13:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 41 in Discussion

cont:

enjoy chatting to the passengers. I think its very sad how some people who work for the same company don't do there very best for the company.Crew should never slate their own airline when BA pay very well to crew and all staff, it saddens me immensely, they should keep opinions to themselves, thats being professional.

I love Cyprus and have looked after many families, all are happy, I just hope BA is still around after any industrial action, I suspect we'd all miss the regular LCA route if it ever disappeared.

All the best,

Stu

stusimpson

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 13:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 41 in Discussion

Wattys,

You're quite correct, book whoever you like. The market on a particular route drives the prices, I have no idea how much a ticket costs, though I booked for my family with Cyprus airways last year and it was pretty much the same as BA.

On other routes I'd challenge you to see how much more 'expensive' BA is, look on the BA website they have a comparison gizmo that checks all prices.

One of the reasons some routes are more expensive ,of course is the vast costs BA has to put up with, which is no surprise to those who've followed our disputes recently.

Your sweeping statement is inaccurate but its a free world and I wouldn't want it any other way. For every person who doesn't want to fly BA there is someone who does, you obviously don't want to fly with them which is your choice.

Even though I'm biased of course, if I can get my kids and wife on a BA flight then that'll be my first choice every time.

Cheers Stu

parky

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 41 in Discussion

Stu

Do you think the ash cloud ban was justified, or were they being to cautious, would you have flown ealier, and would you have had the option of refusing to fly if you personally thought it unsafe? Lots of questions but i am interested to here a pilot's opinion

stusimpson

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 14:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 41 in Discussion

In my opinion and my colleagues, as its never really happened in Europe before, they were correct in being cautious.

However there is enough technology and aircraft with enough kit to be able to analyse how deep the layer is and how fine the dust is and whether it sticks to fanblades or not.

To take a week is massive overkill, if you can get everyone back into the London airports they can at least get home via other methods.To close the southern part wasn't necessary, maybe 24-36 hours would have been sufficient.They could have sent a couple of 4 engine jets up and spent a day analysing the results, that way the manufacturers would have had the data much quicker.

I think the BA jet many years ago that flew through the actual plume probably made everyone cautious.

From my point of view I landed in Barcelona to be told if we didnt get airborne in 45 mins , we wouldn't make the overly cautious closure of UK airspace, think it was midday(the ash never even reached the south unt

stusimpson

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 14:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 41 in Discussion

cont:

until 6pm.

Having reached the runway within 30 mins they wouldn't allow us to take off as the UK said we wouldn't make it by the deadline. Both ,myself and BA tried to tell them that we would easily land within the target time but still they said No.

So my passengers then endured 7 days in Spain or worse travelling to N.France to get a train.This was far too cautious, lots of flights could have landed well before any ash cloud appeared.

I don't think the government and authorities realised the chaos it was going to cause, and of course its grossly unfair for airlines to pick up the cost having made huge losses in the last 12 months.

I suppose the only saving grace is next time they will be a bit more pro active in analysing the data and getting some test aircraft in the sky quickly.

We flew through what was supposed to be a thin layer and noticed nothing whatsoever on the way back.

Sadly some people still aren't back home , hopefully they'll be back soon.

stusimpson

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 14:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 41 in Discussion

Cheers Stu

P.S Think I need more characters for my posts !!!

nurseawful

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 15:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 41 in Discussion

Friends flew back to Belfast yesterday with Thomas Cooke . Only 20 people on the flight.

Chris

TheScarlets

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 15:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 41 in Discussion

Stu

It doesn't account for the empty seats on the Larnaca to London route over the past week. Stranded passengers could have been repatriated far quicker in some cases. I have spoken with two families who were on different flights that said there was plenty of room on the plane for more passengers. Perhaps you should keep your eyes on the route ahead rather than giving us the company memo. Why not take off your BA blinkers and have a good look around you! The delay by BA has cost me a lot of money and there are still many people who could have been on my flight yesterday!

Ian

booitsme

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 41 in Discussion

Nurseawful, my mum and husband flew back with Thomas Cook on sunday night - after being promised they would have "an overnight stay" in a hotel.............. 4 days previously - on a jam packed plane with passengers needing to get to Newcastle and Glasgow but the plane went to Manchester!!!! Becuase it was so chaotic the plane took off 3 hours late and they weren't met by the promised coaches at Manchester airport so had to stay yet another night in a different hotel (at least it was in the UK!) and didn't get home until 5.30 monday evening! I think your friends were very lucky but I really wouldn't recommend Thomas Cook to anyone after the shoddy way they dealt with their stranded passengers - this was AFTER emailing to say flights would be going. Maybe if they'd gone via Belfast they might have got home quicker!!! Happy days

TheScarlets

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 20:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 41 in Discussion

Chris I agree, some companies for whatever reason have been flying half empty planes when they could have been giving their customers options to get back home sooner

stusimpson

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 20:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 41 in Discussion

Ian,

I've just spoken to BA about your claim that BA knowingly left stranded passengers behind,they disagree. The Captain operating the flight you refer to would also like to know if you know something he doesn't.

According to BA , many passengers were voluntarily transferred to other carriers , some passengers chose to not turn up at all. It takes 12 hours for planning purposes to contact passengers about changes in itineries.If you think thats incorrect look at other airlines policies. When this all kicked off passengers were given the opportunity of rebooking.

How exactly do you expect a company to get through the backlog? You seem to have all the criticism but no answers. I offer some and you dismiss it straight away.

Do you think it is BA and the airlines fault as you keep blaming them for the whole episode, do you not think it is in BA's interests to get people home asap.

Did BA help with costs while you were stuck, I'm interested.Unless BA have passengers on stand

stusimpson

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 20:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 41 in Discussion

Cont:

every day, if people booked on a flight don't turn up, what should BA do about that?

On one of my flights 23 travel agents did not turn up having been rebooked, we left with 14 seats spare after accommodating anyone from other carriers who were at the airport.But is that the airlines fault.

To state after my explanations that I don't know what I'm on about and have blinkers on, means that you clearly don't give a monkeys what I'm saying to you, so we'll leave it there.

Blame BA all you like for the whole thing, from what I've seen they've handled the whole thing very well from the start, sometimes I was genuinely surprised.Inevitably some people like with all airlines, will have horror stories but I found your reply disingenuous and very dismissive.

Come and talk to my wife who's BA crew and she'd sing a different story to the one you spoke to, and she's as neutral as they come.

Regards Stu

chezzi

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 22:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 41 in Discussion

Well said Stu!

I agree with everything you say, and as a regular flyer to Larnaca, I have flown with most of the Airlines, inc Sleazyjet, Thompson, Pegasus, KTHY and Excel (Yuk the worst) and much prefer and try to stick to BA, price, if booked early is usually comparable to the cheaper options and you dont get ripped off for all the extras, ie baggage, meals, drinks etc!

I dont agree with the Cabin crew strikes and whats more, anyone I have spoken to about it does not agree or sympathise with it either, i wonder if the staff realise that so many people are against it.

Times are changing and BA needs to keep up with the changes and if this means changing working conditions, then so be it, we all have to accept change in our jobs from time to time.

Hope you are flying us to Cyprus in July!

Brinsley

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 22:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 41 in Discussion

Well, if they went back to 'bucket shop' ticket days with people on standby at reduced price tickets to take up 'no shows' they just might find their flights full and start earning themselves a profit!

Richard

scootex

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 22:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 41 in Discussion

I can sympathise with Stu I flew back to UK Wednesday last week with 60 empty seats on easyjet but what I understood from the cabin staff was that the whole ash debacle was nothing to do with the airlines just another knee jerk reaction by this shower we have in government who cannot handle any crisis with out cocking it up look at the billions spent on a flu vacine and the banking problems (did anyone get their money back from B &B or NC) so it's not surprizing they maded sure that those in charge of British airspace brought everything to a standstill talk about inept

stusimpson

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 22:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 41 in Discussion

Post deleted at Posters Request ........ Simbas

stusimpson

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 23:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 41 in Discussion

Actually I should delete that last post, anyone know how to do it, BA prob wouldn't be too chuffed!

Stu

Brinsley

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 23:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 41 in Discussion

Give me BA or CTA and I'll turn them round within 18 months!

Richard

stusimpson

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 23:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 41 in Discussion

I'll tell Willie Richard!

Any idea how to delete my last post?

stusimpson

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 23:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 41 in Discussion

Apparently I can't delete, might still email you directly Ian, but not for here.

Cheers stu

britvic

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 23:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 41 in Discussion

Sorry stusimpson, posts cannot be deleted by users, try emailing one of the Admin team or izzet@cyprus44.com

Vicki

Brinsley

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 23:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 41 in Discussion

Msg 29

You'll have to ask a Mod or email Izzet. By the way, I was being serious and know how to do it!

Richard

stusimpson

Message Posted:
30/04/2010 00:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 41 in Discussion

Richard,

How , what would you do that they aren't trying?, how would you deal with trying to push Cabin crew savings through, I think we'd all like to see that solved!

I think every airline needs a hand at the moment does it not?

Stu

Brinsley

Message Posted:
30/04/2010 00:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 41 in Discussion

Msg 32

Not a very clever idea to post how I would do it without being first offered the MD position, the Yanks call it something else these days!

Richard

dalartokat

Message Posted:
30/04/2010 23:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 41 in Discussion

I think this was a fair response from BA, sent to me today.

The volcano in Iceland resulted in the closure of UK airspace for six days and mass chaos across the country.

In the history of our business, we’ve never had a situation like this. The cancellations meant that in some parts of the world, we had backlogs of thousands of our customers unable to come home.

When faced with such challenges, I know that our customers expect British Airways to respond well.

We did everything in our power to secure the safe re-opening of airspace. Since then our number one priority has been to get our stranded customers home and I would like to thank you personally for your patience and understanding during this unique period.

As well as flying our normal schedule using every available British Airways aircraft, we’ve also flown 14 extra longhaul services from destinations such as Hong Kong, Bangkok and Dubai.

dalartokat

Message Posted:
30/04/2010 23:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 41 in Discussion

We made sure available seats on all our inbound flights were protected for British Airways customers trying to get home. We appealed to other customers booked to fly, whose travel was not essential, to accept a refund to clear more seats.

Although we will not rest until all of you are home, we will have flown between 70 – 90,000 people per day, including many thousands who were stranded.

While we continue to do as much as we can for you, I appreciate that there will have been occasions where we may not have been able to help as much as we would have liked. If, however, you do still need to contact us, please visit ba.com for information on how to do this.

This was an exceptional event in British Airways’ history and colleagues from across the airline came together to do everything possible to assist. In response, many of our customers have taken the time to write to me or other colleagues at British Airways to express their thanks for what we were able to do. I am very gratefu

dalartokat

Message Posted:
30/04/2010 23:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 41 in Discussion

am very grateful to all our customers for their continuing support.

Yours sincerely,

Willie Walsh

Brinsley

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 00:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 41 in Discussion

I'm still awaiting Willie Walsh's contract of employment for the 'MD' position!

Richard

sloan

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 05:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 41 in Discussion

British Airways repatriated us from Los Angeles after 7 days of being stranded, via an AirFrance flight to Paris. We are full of praise for the way that BA in Los Angeles dealt with the problem. I would like to point out (and it is an observation, not a moan) that our transatlantic flight via AirFrance was far inferior (hardness of seats, legroom, courtesy of the cabin staff etc) to the BA flight that we took out. My allegiance to BA has definitely increased and I hope that the strike threats are sorted soon and that the airline can continue to fly the flag ..... I hope to live long enough to see them landing at Ercan one day.

TheScarlets

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 08:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 41 in Discussion

Stu

I am a big supporter of BA and have used them on numerous occassions over the years, I am in fact using them again later this year. The facts are that on check in they knew there was spare capacity and the day before BA were selling seats from Larnaca for I 650 Euros one way and knowing there were people incurring unnecessary costs when they could have been got back sooner is my gripe.

Ian

stusimpson

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 11:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 41 in Discussion

Ian,

I appreciate what you are saying and I have tried to explain what might have led to an aircraft departing with empty seats above. Incidentally the 650 Euros is the highest matrix one way price, the system was showing only 10 seats available at this price, the rest were all restricted by reservations, implying to me they were(as BA suggested) blocked off for stranded pax.

The company are looking into it, they have assured me if someone accepted a booking on a later date, they then don't actively chase those people if seats pop up available.To do this would just be ringing around constantly to hotels/mobiles etc.I don't think you'll find any airline doing this at all.Trying to repatriate a million passengers and doing that would mean alot of phone calls every day.

Sometimes its easy to see something that isn't there, I can't convince you either way, I doubt whether a thousand Skippers operating flights could persuade you either, but I'll get back to you.

Stu

TheScarlets

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 13:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 41 in Discussion

Stu

You are very well informed of the background operation during this strategic nightmare for someone who flies the plane

I asked for an earlier flight when I received my call from BA on the 18th as I was given the 28th as the earliest and to go on standby if there was availability. I had people with me when I received the call who were surprised by the length of the delay.

I fully understand and appreciate the logistical issues regarding this nightmare but my point is that it has cost me a lot of money to remain on the island for another 10 days personally (I know the costs to BA also) and money that I can ill afford to spend. Also, bearing in mind there was availability of flights previous to this disappoints me with the double standards

Therefore, you are telling me that BA could have taken another 10 passengers back the day before but decided to sell the seats for 650 Euros

As I mentioned earlier, I am a regular flyer with BA and apart from this issue have no problems with th

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.