North Cyprus Tourist Board - thinking of moving to trnc, some concerns
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > thinking of moving to trnc, some concerns

thinking of moving to trnc, some concerns

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

khristy

Message Posted:
27/06/2010 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

hi

we are thinking of moving to trnc and have found this forum very usefull and a great help in doing our homework, but have a concerns about racism, as we are a mixed race family ie myself white my partner black and son mixed, all born in uk.

we have worked hard and now want to enjoy life at a slower pace.

i would be interested in everyones comments

rowlo

Message Posted:
27/06/2010 22:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

every one welcome mate , only racists would disagree , you and your family should enjoy , and i hope you do , all the best xxx

Teresa

Message Posted:
27/06/2010 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

Khristy i dont think you have anything to worry about. Racism seems to be a much smaller problem here then in a lot of countries. I know people from different countries including pakistan, sri lanka, nigeria, Germany, Russia so for a small island it is multi racial.

Good luck with whatever you decide

cyprusman3

Message Posted:
27/06/2010 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

the cypriots are not racists as there are black turkish cypriots too. I am a cypriot and I say welcome it really isnt an issue here its not like most europeon countries !!!.

littleme

Message Posted:
27/06/2010 22:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

Do not know of any problems have not seen any signs of racism. wish you well x

spider

Message Posted:
27/06/2010 23:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

I dont think this forum would give you any concerns of racism as thats how your post reads to me..sorry if i have got that wrong.good luck and welcome to the forum.

Spider,X

khristy

Message Posted:
27/06/2010 23:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

thank you that sounds reassuring, we have visited trnc and felt fine, but after seeing some comments on the forum felt concerned

Hector

Message Posted:
27/06/2010 23:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

khistry

I'm concerned that you should be researching more about living in the TRNC and it's many challenges rather than starting with racism. You seem to know little about North Cyprus and yet you are thinking of moving there. Big step. Many have gone before you, unfortunately many have come to grief as you will see from the many topics on the subject. There is racism in the TRNC but it seems government led against anyone who is non TC it seems to me i.e. getting a job, the justice system etc.

Well done for finding this forum. It could save you an awful lot of time, money and anguish. Ask your questions, someone will know the answer.

khristy

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 00:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

hi hector

yes you are right and i have been doing a lot of reserch about living in trnc, ie not to buy but rent first, banking, car ,schooling , cost of living etc, on reading the boards i noted some comments re nigerian scammers and felt i needed to check this out among many other things

any advice is good as it is a big move and a lot of money involved.

proger1

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 07:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

khirsty, the important thing about the first thread is that you are british, my wife is non-EU and as such has had problems going to the the South but never any in the North.

As for the Nigerian Scammer, you would need to follow his threads to understand that every question he has posted is the sort of question that allows answers to be twisted to make it sound like racism. The particular post you mentioned is not racist as much as anti-scammer most of which originated with the Nigerians.

I can honestly say that I find NC to be one of the least racist countries of the several I have lived in, they even talk to me and I am Scottish.

BigMart

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 08:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

The only racism I know of here is the blatent discrimination by the governmennt against anyone who is not Turkish/ Turkish Cypriot. It is an absolute disgrace and would not be allowed to happen anywhere else in the world. We (the ex-pats ) pump thousands of pounds into the TRNC economy every month and are penalised all the time by the corrupt police and and the twisted laws which are aimed at taking even more money off of us.

Apart from that its a great place to live.

Jodienjon

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 08:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

Khristy,

I agree with what people are say you do not have to worry, the people here are really friendly and this is a lovely place to live.

I have been here nearly 3 years and have had no regrets. My husband and my son also love it here. Jake goes to a good school and has plenty of friends, he has a fantastic time in the summer.

I feel safe here and its nice that you can go places and people always smile say hello and welcome you.

Yes there are people out there that have had bad exeriances but please lisson to what they have to say, make sure you make the right choices and most of all you make your own future and your own good exeriances.

Good luck and im sure there are alot of people on here that hope to see you moving here soon.

Jodie

khristy

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

thank you for all your replys , we have done lots of holidaying around europe and to be honest found trnc to be fine , no odd looks etc as we have in some places like spain from the older generation , my partner just has to speak and you know he is a londoner tho and tho lol

so on with our plans and reserch and am sure lots more postings for advice .

thank you

mikelapta

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 12:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

Christine,I have been going out with a Filipino for 4 months.We have never felt out of place in any restaurant,and always had a good reception.She is also 17years younger.Never been any discrimination of colour or ageism

Mike

khristy

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 12:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

mikelapta

that sounds reasuring , of course you get racism everywhere in the uk , and i look at it as the other persons problem and ignorence, my partner big enough to take it , growing up in 60/70s in london , our son has not had too much and i just want him to grow up proud of who he is.

good luck

mikelapta

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

Christine,I take my girlfriend to the Catholic Church in Girne Sunday 12o/c.I would say the congregation is 1/3 filipino,1/3 coloured,all of whom are so smartly dressed,and have big smiles,the rest whitesThe priest and helpers are coloured,and come all the way from Larnaca for the service.

In think,as a Britishman,now living here for nearly 2 years,we object to the scantily dressed British women,topless British men walking in the towns and in shops.Holidaymakers with no respect of the Muslim faith,and of the feelings of the Muslim women.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 17:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

No problems here - so long as you are not a Scotland supporter revelling in the England wipe-out yesterday LOL

khristy

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 17:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

no london and norfolk born and bred lol please no comments about norfolk please, left 30 years ago lol

Panchocat

Message Posted:
29/06/2010 10:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

My friends have the exact same family model as yours. They have been out here to stay with us and are coming again in the summer, their experiences were mainly good ones.

They did feel my friend's husband was both stared at and talked about when they arrived at the airport and asked if coloured people were accepted here. We told them that a lot of the students are coloured and yes they were accepted readily.

The only negative experience we had in the two weeks they were here was at Delta cafe in the new harbour where he was openly stared at and a child called him a funny man.

He is a highly educated man and took it well. We also think that a lot of the staring was to do with the fact that he had long hair and Caribbean style clothing and had nothing to do with colour.

Enjoy your time here it is a lovely place to stay and live.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.