North Cyprus Tourist Board - Squatter in North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Squatter in North Cyprus

Squatter in North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

Lloydsinspace

Message Posted:
06/07/2010 17:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

My family and I have a house near Catalkoy and had intended to come to live in Northern Cyprus. Over the last few years we have come to stay in the house as often as possible usually for around 3 months in total. We had intended to come this summer for seven weeks. In order to try to ease the current financial problems, we rented (for the first time) the house to a cypriot family between October and 30th June. This was all fine until February when the payments stopped and they are now refusing to leave. I am at my wits end over this and do not know what to do. They have also stopped paying the electric and water and both have been cut off. We are coming to Cyprus on 21st July in the hope that we can find a solution. I am hoping that someone may be able to give me some guidance as to how best to sort this out. Please - I just want my house back.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
06/07/2010 17:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Where did the Cypriot family come from - an agent?

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
06/07/2010 18:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Do not attempt to enter the property, as they will call the police who may prosecute YOU for trespassing.

This happened to close friends and cost them dearly in litigation.

I'm not sure if they will claim, or indeed have 'squatters' rights'; but by all accounts you're on 'a loser' in TRNC - especially if they're locals.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
06/07/2010 18:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Simple answer - don't rent your property out to anyone.

ROBnJO

Message Posted:
06/07/2010 19:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Bill

I don't think it matters whether they were tenants, or just 'got in' to an empty property,

squatters are squatters! :-(

Rob

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
06/07/2010 19:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Hi Rob

Good to hear from you.

I think in this case the problem has arisen through renting.

zcacmxi

Message Posted:
06/07/2010 19:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Are thugs, I mean Bailiff services available? If they owe you rent, perhaps the bailiff can pay them a visit to collect the rent?

Maybe, they won't like the inconvienience of being visitted by bailiffs and will move on?

dudakli

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 01:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

I have to say, there's not much you can do in this situation.. It happened to an estate agent friend of mine and in the end he actually managed to have the locks changed somehow and then gave them boxes, telling them they had to move out... It was a long struggle, unfortunately the system is against you..

Perhaps you can seek some legal advice on this over there, and see what else you can do about them? Horrible people, get your own place and pay for it.. TRAMPS!!

Lilli

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 07:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

so sad, i hear stories like this every day, one friend a builder here rented a house to mainland turkish, a man with two wifes and 10 kids. they didnt pay him for 2 years. He was powerless then took the law into his own hands and removed the roof from the house, they soon moved x

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 10:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

I'd make life as difficult as possible. If you have a pool - empty it. Take the fuse out of the electric. If you have a driveway dig it up so no vehicles could get in or out.

Lloydsinspace

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 10:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

The electric has been cut off as it hasn't been paid. Same with the water. Apparently he has a generator and is using the water from our well. Also, because there is no electric the pool is totally disgusting so emptying it would probably do him a favour. The pool is right by the house so it can't be very good for his children to be near that. I have heard that he has two children and another on the way - didn't know that before. I am coming out with my family on 21st July so I guess I will see for myself. Just feel like walking in and sitting down on MY sofa! Lots of my things are in the house too in what was a locked cupboard under the stairs but I have heard that he has taken the lock off - surely this is all stealing. How can the law be on his side?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.