North Cyprus Tourist Board - Unwin Estate Agents is NOT a member of NAEA
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Unwin Estate Agents is NOT a member of NAEA

Unwin Estate Agents is NOT a member of NAEA

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read All Unwin Estates North Cyprus Threads posted so far

hindsight

Message Posted:
05/07/2007 02:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

Mark Unwin as an individual or his company Unwin Estates are NOT members, as stated on the home page - http://www.unwinestates.com - of the National Association of Estate Agents. The overseas member - as stated on the logo, used on the home page, is not known to this association.

Confirmation can be obtained from

http://www.naea.co.uk

fastclick

Message Posted:
12/07/2007 11:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

Yes, Just everyone to be aware NEVER use Unwins. Always an established builder such as Fikri Terkan or Ozyyelsin.

McSteviet

Message Posted:
12/07/2007 12:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

Fastclick,

I see you have posted this on several threads, so give us your reasons, if you will.

You see I am buying through Unwins and using an established builder.

MC

Marvo

Message Posted:
12/07/2007 12:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

Yes fastclick, give us more info,

I am also buying through Unwins and so far so good, is there a vendeta going on here and why.

M

lovelife

Message Posted:
12/07/2007 20:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

Fastclick

We too are buying through Unwins, although we have had a few hiccoughs with the contract (in that we wanted it changed, things added etc) they have obliged, mainly we beacause we have stuck to our guns, our builder is reputable as they have had good reports- both on this forum and the doom and gloom website they are Greatstone.

McSteviet

Message Posted:
13/07/2007 08:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

Lovelife,

I've emailed you offline

MC

McSteviet

Message Posted:
13/07/2007 08:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

Lovelife,

I've emailed you offline

MC

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
14/07/2007 19:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

We bought through Unwins and not only no problems found them very helpful indeed

maid marion

Message Posted:
28/03/2008 15:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

looking for some good info on unwins as im buying form them also, builder kavanlagh construction if anybody has any info on them would be much appreciated

tonyhickey

Message Posted:
28/03/2008 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

So i take it she does like unwins

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
28/03/2008 17:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

Oh not Unwins again!! Over the past few years they have had a lot of really bad publicity from selling AGA Development properties (then washing their hands of the situation when it went belly up) to holding onto peoples money and not passing it onto the solicitors/builders until the last minute. Unwins have been around for many years, not quite as many as Ian Smith or Guy at Korinia but they do have a lot of years under their belt.

I posted recently one thing you must watch (and not just with Unwins) and that is the difference between the 3% and 5% choice. Each purchaser gets a one-off choice of paying either a 3% or 5% stamp duty on their property (5% is the norm). If you intend to keep the property and not sell to trade up to a more expensive one then opt for the 3%. Otherwise pay the 5%. I do know that Unwins charge the 5% from people as standard. If you then only pay the 3% Unwins will not automatically refund your money. You have to ask them for it. You will find that in your file there is a cheque made out for the refund and unless you ask about it it will remain on your file indefinitely (and in their bank account).

Karen

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
28/03/2008 20:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Kavanlar........Now there's a company who make promises and can't live upto them!

See posts on Kavenkoy Apartments.

Wide berth recommended on Kavanlar off plan sites.

So buying a kavanalr property through Unwins will make you one of those people who say Unwins are no good at what they do. But if you buy Kavanlar through Korinia, Ian Smith, Stringers, Donaghy and Beyler or other Estate Agents who deal with Kavanlar, will make you complain that they are inefficient and useless too.

Those who bought through Unwins and had no problems, well done for choosing the right builder. For in the end it's the builder, not Unwins, who builds your house. And the same goes for any other Estate Agencey.

It is up to the Estate Agents to ensure that all builders can deliver on their promises BEFORE marketing their properties, but all they see is "how big my proptfolio of properties is", without regard to actually knowing how good a builder actually is. So their logic is that, if a few rougues get onto our books; then don't worry, we have our commission anyway. The customer can sort it out themselves in court. Of course that was until the Estate Agent s Law came into effect. Can't wait to see the first one's in court when things go pear shaped and they've not done their homework on the builders correctly.

McSteviet

Message Posted:
29/03/2008 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

Well here's hoping we see no-one in court.....

Lemtich

Message Posted:
29/03/2008 13:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

Just to say that I bought through Unwins onto the Kavanlar development. Unwins themselves were very much at the mercy of the builders as were the purchasers and I felt they did as much as they could under the circumstances.

The quality of build by Kavanlar is exceptionly high, it just takes at least twice as long as specified in the contract.

I also purchased a white goods package through Unwins, again it was good value and despite being held in storage for 2 years, it was checked and tested by them before being installed. Their aftersales service is again very high.

Although my staged payments were initially made to Unwins I switched these direct to Kavanlar as this gave me a better handle on what progress was being made. Athough the delay was disappointing it is better to stay friends with your builder than banging the table complaining about delays and demanding compensation.

Lemtich

Janann

Message Posted:
30/03/2008 22:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

We have purchased through Unwins a Kavanlar apartment and cannot say they earned their money as it was very hard work getting honest updates on the build and we also switched to dealing direct with Kavanlar. Very lengthy delay so take their completion dates with a pinch of salt. Very good builders athough and we are very happy with the finish. Very much worth the wait.

brian24001

Message Posted:
30/03/2008 22:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

We bought through Unwins, most helpful, though was always aware that the agents do little more than hook you up withe the contructor.

If the constructor doesn't deliver, well, how did your homework go?

Our Constructor - Kavanalar, usual story, late delivery, but then our date was never realistic to begin with, ut they delivered, no empty shell here!

Would I deal again with Unwins - yes. I think Mark and Hayran deserve support for the forsight and invetsment they have made here. I am well aware that had they not founded the local school, then we may never have been in a position to be here ourselves as childrens education is very important.

Would I dela again with Kavanlar - yes, they have been most helpful in fixing a few items around the house with no argument or even discussion, just turmed up and fixed it, at a time to suit us, they are the only builder I have heard of who are actually perstering me to get my PTB sorted so they can give me my deeds.

Did a little bit of research about them before buying, and have to say all was correct.

Thanks to both Unwins and Kavanlar.

b_t

maid marion

Message Posted:
01/04/2008 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

hi brian reading your post gives me a little more hope on my purchase as im with unwins and kavanlar only paid fist 20% and paid this to unwins no work started as yet begun last september would you say this seems usual in your experience im reading paying direct to builder gives you more control would you agree with this

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
01/04/2008 16:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

Hi Maid Marion

For security reasons I would personally only ever send money to the solicitor acting for you (hoping you have an independent solicitor and not the same one as the builder). You solicitor would hold the money as stakeholder and only pay it over to the builder on your say so, ie when the stage you are paying for has been completed.

I would never pay money to either an estate agent or the builder.

Karen

brian24001

Message Posted:
01/04/2008 19:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

Hi MM,

Firstly, you are not 'with' Unwins, they have simply hooked you up with Kav.

I made my first payment through Unwins, they like you to do this as they take their commission immediately, sensible move.

All future payments I made direct to Kav.

Timing wise, expect 2-3 years. We bought our place as a standing shell, still look 2 years.

However, rest assured that you are dealing with a builder who, ‘in my experience’ and the experience of my neighbours has delivered what they said they would, yes a little late, but it's not an empty shell with a bankrupt builder never to be completed.

They have been most helpful to me with other matters, and are now moving to issue title deeds (will be within 4 years of purchase, pretty quick).

We paid our final payment when asked, a few things still needed finishing, but I was happy these would be done, and they were.

Since then, I have still received help and advice from Kav. And am confident I can turn to them for help/advice anytime.

Before buying, I spoke to another agent who showed me some other houses, I told her I was probably buying this Kav house, her response ‘you won’t have any problems in the future dealing with Kav’

You’re just going to need a little patience.

As I said, all of the above is ‘in my experience’ and the experience of our neighbours.

Good luck

Brian

BOJOY

Message Posted:
01/04/2008 19:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

Hi Maid Marion

We are buying through Unwins and so far everything has been perfect. We decided to pay the Builders direct, to make sure it went straight to them and was not "held" up anywhere. On rechecking our Contract, it does state in there that we would pay direct, however i forgot that. Have you checked your`s to see who the payments should go to?.

TheSaints

Message Posted:
01/02/2009 15:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

We are confused fastclick please enlighten us as we are buying of a reputable builder i.e. Fikri Terkan and we are using Unwins as our agent.

No problems at all, Unwins showed us the property, They told us the price, we told them the price we would pay (not the price they quoted) they negotiated with the builder including the extras we asked for. We paid a min holding deposit until our Solicotor whom I chose through several recommendations checked the land registry etc I paid over the rest of the money to my Solicitor to be held by her until completion.

No problems Unwins did a great job for us and we can not thank them enough.

Cabbie

Message Posted:
01/02/2009 15:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

if you have bought from unwins Please checkl that it is not army land ! or there is not an army base near by !!

snakes

Message Posted:
01/02/2009 15:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

hard not to have an army base nearby cabbie !!!

Cabbie

Message Posted:
01/02/2009 15:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

if it is to close you will not get p/p as some people are now finding out .

Forwarned is forarmed

gary-monger

Message Posted:
01/02/2009 21:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

What you need to bear in mind is that the estate agent is an agent for the seller not an agent for the buyer.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.