North Cyprus Tourist Board - Pressurised water system
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Pressurised water system

Pressurised water system

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

bashir52

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 20:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

Hi,

I have a villa in Esentepe. The water pressure is not brilliant, coming from the roof tank. Somebody suggested putting another water pump on the roof but I am worried that it might be noisy. Is there any other way of achieving good water pressure without a pump on the roof?

keithcaley

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 21:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

I understand that converting your system to a 'pressurised' one is possible, but that if it was only designed to be 'gravity fed' then you do run the risks of it 'springing a leak'

Best to speak to someone who has experience of doing this, or to the original plumbers who installed the system for the builders, if it is a 'new build'

colly

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 22:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

Have you checked the strainers on the taps for debris?

yrret

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 22:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

put a tank on the ground, pump it from the ground level so easy to maintain pump etc, and leave roof tank as gravity back up, our house has this very system, a very simple conversion and means you can hold all the water you want for times when it's not often on, I did my mothers in about 2 hours.

If you have plastic welded pipes (99% of houses here do), the pressure will not be a problem, run it at about 20psi ground level pressure, will give you about 15psi upstairs.

beno12

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 22:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

I installed a extra "house pump" connected to my ground tanks but this only gives you (3 bar )pressure on the cold water before hand you have to turn off the cold "gravity fed"(valve) to stop the cold line entering the roof tank, I have two connections on the house pump one connected to the main cold water for the house feed the other for the garden.

This gives me more pressure for e.g Dish Washer-Washing Maschine-Toilet etc.

I have a few Photos of the system if your interested e-mail me at

english@kabelmail.de

PS. House Pump cost 140 pounds + valve + a few pipes fixed it myself been running now for 4 years..

Chris

beno12

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 23:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

Also I have my gravity system serviced every 3rd year from the local plummer cost ca 100 tl he drains the system

gets rid of all the debris its only used for ca 9 weeks of the year would be different if it was in everyday use cleaner.

bashir52

Message Posted:
07/09/2010 15:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

Thank you every body. I have removed the strainers from the taps. Did not work.

Yrret, does your system need one or two pumps? I already have a tank and a pump at ground level to pump to the roof tank.

I have asked several local plumbers and received an equal number of different answers! The problem is every one of them is claiming to be "an expert"!

CJtill

Message Posted:
07/09/2010 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

You must realise that whichever TC workman\company you speak to IS the expert in that field, and everyone else knows nothing. This is why we get ripped off so often.....good luck.

Michael

yrret

Message Posted:
07/09/2010 19:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

bashir, msg 7

You need only one pump at ground level, the key matter is where the check valves are placed to run as a pressurized system, with it defaulting to a gravity fed system if the electric goes off.

The ground pump serves the house, and fills the roof tank, with the float valve on the roof shutting when the tank is full. One important point though is the use of check valves as if it is ot correct, the pump will run more than required, and in a worst case, you could pump water back to the mains.

Our system operates such that the pump is set to below the supply pressure when the min water is on (belediye), if the bele water is off, the pump takes over, and of the electric goes off, then gravity (albeit a little slower) is a last resort.

I would say come and look at our system, but I fly out for 5 weeks on Thursday afternoon.

You are more than welcome to have a look (and I can draw you circuit diagram) when I return in 5 weeks, email me at ttb@tesco.net if this is of any hel

JohnW

Message Posted:
08/09/2010 17:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

bashir52

We can help you with this but would need to see how the system has been installed before advising or quoting.

John

Cyprus Solutions

bashir52

Message Posted:
09/09/2010 16:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

Thank you John

I will be in Esentepe at the end of the month. Do you have a contact number?

bashir52

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 14:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

Just back from Esentepe into a cold, wet UK!!

A plumber has installed the pressurised water system using one pump at floor level, similar to what Brian suggested (msg 9).. Thank you Brian.

He changed the hot water tank on the roof to take the high pressure. He also changed the metal pipes at roof level into plastic ones (not sure if this was a good idea).

It worked for a day then one of the new plastic pipes leading to the cold water tank on the roof burst. The plumber said that the water pressure of the Belediya in my place is too high and a similar problem might happen in the future. Therefore, he modified the system so that there is no direct connection between the Belediya water and the main house. The new system would trigger off the pump directly into the house on demand. It is not what I hoped for i.e having high pressure direct from the mains water without needing the pump but at least I have pressuirised water now. How much pressure the plastic pipes would take?

yrys88

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 15:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

Hi guys

For those interested. We sell Hitachi water pumps. And I can put my life's savings on it that these are the best pumps in the whole world. We only imported a small amount of them as they are a bit pricey. They are strong and as quiet as a summer breeze. I highly recommend them to anyone who needs a quality solution to their water system at home. We also have a stainless steel version for restaurants and drinking water. I have one installed in my own home because I was fed up with the noise and inconsistent flow of water..

We have been importing Hitachi for over 30 years and we are the sole agents in North Cyprus.

Thanks

Yen

TECHMAR

deputydawg

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 18:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

As the foregoing includes comments from the knowledgeable I would be grateful if anyone can advise me regarding an anomaly with my pressurised water system. As the system includes radiator central heating, solar, immersion, etc, to me it has more routes than a map of the London underground system. I have a 2 HP pump at ground level with the electronics fitted so that at the turn of taps pressurised water arrives. There was also the option of turning the pump off and water was still available from taps gravity fed at a very reasonable flow. However, the electronic sender set failed and was replaced with a new one which operates OK. The problem is that even when the top and bottom tanks are full if I suffer a power cut the taps will not deliver any water whatsoever and the gravity facility seems to no longer exist. Am I in a silly Mr Bean Mode and missing the obvious or do I need to get my nearly empty wallet out again ? Any helpful comment will be much appreciated.

Geoff1131MK11

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

Hi Brian, it sounds as if you have a non return valve fitted to the outlet side of the rooftop water storage tank which has stuck. The reason the valve is there is to prevent water being forced up into the tank when the pump is running, But should release when the pressure drops when there is no electric ( ie the pump is not running ) it should be a simple job to free the valve so dont panic, you will still have enough for a beer!

yrret

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 19:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

Re: msg 12 - Bashir,

The plastic pipe is good for a lot more than the Bele water is supplied at ........... or everyone's pipes would burst, and the ball cock system wouldn't work to stop the water when your tank is full, so there is likely another reason.

The pressure is lower on the roof than at ground level by 0.43psi/ft so if any pipe were to blow (not likely and certainly not new pipe) it should be at ground level if anywhere where the pressure is higher.

More importantly, if a pipe did burst, he maybe didn't fit a pressure relief valve (4bar max), which is vital to allow for thermal expansion from the solar water system, and to allow a controlled leak path if the system does over pressure.

It's very common in Cyprus for air bleed valves to be fitted but not PRV's, it shows them on the drawing I sent you.

deputydawg

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 19:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

Geoff, thanks for that which is reassuring. Also thankful that my tanks are interior, ie within a Rotunda, so this idiot will avoid the risk of coming off a ladder, again ! I am sure that I have and recognise the pressure relief valve mentioned by Terry at message 16 though I am not so sure what the non return valve should look like ? If I monkey with a wrench had better get it right as the Wildebeest (bless her) will be sitting in the lounge immediately below !.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 20:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

Anyone wanting to purchase a 'non return valve' in TRNC should ask in the shop for a 'check valve'.

Pressure relief valves should be changed annually - not worth cleaning - remember a replacement 'over pressure relief valve' is cheaper at approx. TL16 than a pressurised hot water cylinder at approx TL350-450!

A blocked [clogged with lime] 'over pressure relief valve' will cause the hot water cylinder to burst - please take note of this!

janjin

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

Can I ask another water pump question PLEASE??

Our pump won't kick in unless the pump is turned off and on again at the electric switch.

It then only stays on for ten seconds.

It was installed this year and we attempted to use it for a weekend and we are now back home.

So the question is replace or repair? It is a cheap blue one...

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.