North Cyprus Tourist Board - When are the beaches open to dogs ?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > When are the beaches open to dogs ?

When are the beaches open to dogs ?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

» See All Forum Threads on North Cyprus Beaches

» Read about North Cyprus Beaches

» List of Beaches near Kyrenia North Cyprus

» List of Beaches near Famagusta North Cyprus

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
10/09/2010 11:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

Hi

I seem to recall that dogs are allowed back onto the beaches with effect from either the 1st of October or 1st of November.

Grateful if someone could confirm the dates for me as I would not want to break any laws.

Before anyone posts about irresponsible owners allowing their dogs to foul the beaches etc etc:

1. I am a responsible owner.

2. I always carry 'poo' bags with me.

3. I always walk my dogs away from the beach prior to them going for a 'dip' so that should they need to do their 'business' it happens away from the beach. However, dogs being dogs, on the very rare occasion that they do their 'business' on or near to the beach, I always recover any 'deposits'.

Thanks

Paul

Goonerboy

Message Posted:
10/09/2010 11:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

I thought it already was, could of swore I've seen some real dogs on the beach all through the summer

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
10/09/2010 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

titter titter ;-)

Whistler

Message Posted:
10/09/2010 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

Dont you know that this is where poison is deposited? Many dogs have lost their lives on the beach!!!!

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
10/09/2010 13:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

Whistler

Yes I am aware of this and take as many precautions as I feel are necessary including keeping them on the lead unless they are in the sea.

Thanks for your concern

Paul

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
10/09/2010 13:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

isn't it irresponsible to leave poison where young children may play?

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
10/09/2010 14:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

LaptaMike

I couldn't agree more. The laying of poison appears to be totally indiscriminate, not that I would support the laying of poison anyway.

However, it is what the locals do and nobody in authority appears willing to do anything about it. Mores the pity.

Anyway, does anybody know when the beaches become open to dogs ??

Paul

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
10/09/2010 14:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

love to know myself.

Groucho

Message Posted:
10/09/2010 14:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

It is my understanding that there is no time when dogs are officially allowed on beaches as by law they are banned.

Mostly because of Toxocara Canis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxocariasis

And nobody wants children digging in the sand to dig up dog shit....

neylandboy1

Message Posted:
10/09/2010 14:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

well said Groucho, I have witnessed an increasing number of Brits walking one or more dogs on the beach, not pooper scooper in sight and quite vicious dogs not on leads. I did'nt realise dogs were banned on beaches!

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
10/09/2010 15:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

Groucho

I take your point, any responsible dog owner should pick up after them - I do. I have also had the misfortune on numerous occasions to come across human excrement on my walks around the various coves and beaches - usually near to where people (I won't say locals) have been fishing off the rocks. Pretty unpleasant I have to say. The same could be said for the number of disused nappies left on Alagadi Beach after a busy weekend. It's a great pity that humans don't pick up after themselves also

My understanding was that (at Alagadi Beach anyway) dogs were not allowed on the beach only during the 'turtle' season (nesting, hatching and release to the sea).

Can anybody else clarify ??

Paul

Whistler

Message Posted:
10/09/2010 15:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

fiendishpaul. I hope you didn`t think I was being critical of you - I wasn`t. As for keeping them on a lead,

our dog was poisoned ON a lead and after we and our neighbours had scoured the road for any remaining poison, after my friend`s dog was poisoned. I never want to see it again, it was heartbreaking. We were lucky and he was saved I might add, but it was very distressing to see him suffering the way he did.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
10/09/2010 15:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

Whistler

Absolutely not and no offence taken. In view of your sad experience it may be time to invest in a couple of muzzles.

Thanks again

Paul

Maz

Message Posted:
10/09/2010 21:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

I think, and this is subject to confirmation from someone who knows more than I do (and that is not difficult!), the beaches concerned are turtle beaches where dogs c\an disturb nests. Unfortunately the 'Street Dogs' c\an't read the signs and are inclined to go on the beach anyway.

As the season is virtually over, the 1st October could well be the date when there are no more nests to disturb and hence those beaches are 'open'.

We all take a chance with our dogs here where poisoning is concerned and do our best to be responsible - but of course there is no one tolook after the 'street' dogs' who really seem very capable of looking after themselves.

I am afraid I am a horrible 'mother' as I won't evne let my dog sniff any exc\iting smells, just in case it IS poison, and she is ALWAYS on a lead (maybe she is getting a bit too chubby, but she is still alive)

But seriously, I am sure your assumption of 1st Oc\tober is correct.

CJtill

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 08:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

We normally wait until the end of October before taking our dogs back to Alagadi beach just to ensure the turtle 'season' is definitely over. Though you could get an idea from the departure of the students on the Turtle project. Once they go I don't think there would be any nests left.

bridie

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 08:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

Dogs are not allowed on beaches at any time, neither are goats or sheep, and a fine can be imposed. Check with an advocate, it is in the Cyprus Law books..Some signs have been put up to protect the turtles, but I think you'll find these are not official.

Groucho

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 09:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

Bridie,

You are right of course, the Turtle project signs are there to discourage the taking of dogs to the beach during the season. This is a pragmatic thing, acknowledging that some people will do so if there are no signs and the presence of the signs should not be taken to infer or imply that outside of the turtle season it's OK to take dogs to the beach. So don't blame the Turtle Project if you get caught and fined.

It is illegal to take dogs to any public beach in the TRNC at any time of year. And just so it is understood, apart from Military establishments and two privately owned beaches (I know of one in Lapta) ALL other beaches are designated 'public beaches'. Therefore there is little chance of it being legal to walk your dogs on a beach.

I hope it is clear.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 17:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

Thanks for your help

Paul

spanna

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 20:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

Hi All,

Assuming that Groucho is correct and dogs are banned from all public beaches; given that we are on an island and the number of dogs here, does anyone have any other suggestions as to where owners should walk their pets?

Like Paul, I always carry poo bags and only let the dog off the lead when she is next to the water's edge to allow her in for her swim... It is becoming more and more difficult to find places where dogs can go. I appreciate that some owners may not be as responsible, although, I think a lot of the time, poo that hasn't been cleared up is likely to be the result of strays.

Groucho, I hope that you understand that I am not trying to be antagonist at all, I would just really like places that I could take my dog and not break the law/offend/be a nuisance to others. I fear, however, that such a place no longer seems to exist here...? If anyone has any ideas - I'd be grateful to hear them..

Thanks,

Anna.

Quarmby

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 20:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

Surely you can walk yor dog anywhere as long as it is not on a beach.Make sure it is on a lead and so reduce the risk of it being poisoned.

spanna

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 21:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

I take your point Quarmby, but a lot of these dogs need to run - they are active animals and walking at human pace on a lead, although better than nothing, is not ideal. IMO, it's ok for smaller dogs - but you need somewhere you can throw a ball/ stick for them etc - give them a chance for proper exercise.

Groucho

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 22:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

Spanna,

Why not take them to the reservoirs.... I know loads of owners take their dogs to the one near Karsiyaka.

BTW we have a dog and have had to take to walking him on a lead due to the fear of poison and snakes. We'd love to let him run but it's just not safe here.

It would be good if there was a designated dog park in each municipality... alas the TRNC does not provide them.

Maz

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 22:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

Well, well well, I have been assciated with this island for more than 20 years and this is the first I heard that dogs are not allowed on beaches. We learn something new every day! But do the strays know that?

And does that mean that oure beloved pets are not allowed a swim? What a shame. Many dogs are more loveable than people and better behaved.

As to dogs on a lead, I agree about the fear of poison or snakes, and in fact am fast realising that in this laid back island there is less freedom than in other parts of the world.

Can someone point me to the legislation regarding no dogs on the beach. When was it brought in, and to what extent is it enforced. I am sure that many others would like to know too

HotHippo

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 23:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

Great post Maz!

spanna

Message Posted:
12/09/2010 01:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

Thanks Groucho - I may just try that...

As Maz said, it is such a shame tho - my dog loves her swim!! I think it's the highlight of her day... would be such a shame for her not to be able to do it... It's so frustrating when you see the sort of rubbish and debris that people leave on the beaches and they are 'allowed' to do so ... Yet dogs, who, as Maz suggested, are often far better behaved than people, are not allowed to use them.

The reservoir sounds like a good option - just a bit of a drive which, I'm not sure I'd have time to do every day...

May be I'll just have to take to running myself so that the dog gets a bit more of a run!!! Hmmmm.... I might have to think about that for a little longer....!!

You're right Groucho - a designated dog park would be fabulous but, as you also allude to, pigs might fly!!!

Well - onwards and upwards - we live with what we have and make the most of it...

Groucho

Message Posted:
12/09/2010 06:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

Of course people are not 'allowed' to leave rubbish on the beach... there is no one to police this but it ought to be self-policing of course.

Maz, it's not a new thing I'm told the dogs on beaches law has been in force for many years - again no one to police it. However should a local get nipped by a dog running free I'm pretty sure the owner would feel the full force of the law pretty smartish.

"But do the strays know that?" You can tell them but they won't listen... hence the locals put poison down in the dunes to try and rid the area of the wild dogs. Alagadi has a real problem in this respect - someone putting poison down indiscriminately - someone with a real hatred of dogs. Unless they are caught in the act what can we or the police do?

Apparently a young fox has been found dead from poisoning in our area, so this may have been the intended target... it's such a shame that people's beloved pets get caught up in this.

berilela

Message Posted:
12/09/2010 08:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

i do know that karsiyaka beach is not open to dogs all year the belidye are there most mornings checking beware

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.