North Cyprus Tourist Board - Jack Straw - No ifs or buts, Turkey must be part of the EU
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Jack Straw - No ifs or buts, Turkey must be part of the EU

Jack Straw - No ifs or buts, Turkey must be part of the EU

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

basil

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 11:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Each of the blocks on Turkey’s accession can be plausibly explained by reference to some failure by Turkey, or the TRNC, to meet formal undertakings in full. But there is a larger reality here, that failures by the EU or Cyprus are brushed aside. In 2004 the President of Cyprus, Tassos Papadopoulos, signed a UN accord for a referendum on a new power-sharing constitution. He then campaigned duplicitously for a “no” vote. He was rewarded with EU membership, while solemn EU commitments to the Turkish Cypriots who kept to their side of the bargain and voted “yes” have never properly been delivered.

Despite Turkey’s longstanding acknowledgement that because of its size, and differential wage costs, there would have to be decades-long transitional restrictions, especially on free movement of labour, it has been more toughly treated by the EU than any other applicant state.

sorry, you need a subscription for the rest:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article2798324.ec

wanderer

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 11:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

It was also an interview on Today programme radio 4 8:40 UK today He said "Tassos Papadopoulos ratted on his agreement for a yes vote" and that Greece said they would block all other accessions to the EUunless roc was allowed in pretty damning

Also Turkey was being pushed south to Iran

flossie44

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 11:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

It was a pleasant change to hear Jack Straw condemming the GC's. For once I was impressed with a Labour politician. Let us hope the UN sticks to their guns re the threat of withdrawing troops from Cyprus.

flossie

rigsby

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 12:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

flossie44 Jack Straw got involved in the Cyprus problem some years ago,he promised a lot but????

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 12:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

For me there were a couple of interesting statements by Jack Straw in the article.

".....with the government of the not-so-far recognised Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus"

"It is time for the UK government to consider formally the partition of Cyprus if the talks fail...........how much longer the EU and the UN can tolerate the current approach, whose only consequence so far has been to paralyse the development of relations with Turkey."

Swany

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Thanks Wanderer (re 2) Very interesting...

Well worth a listen starts at 2.42.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00vrcwk/Today_08_11_2010

wanderer

Message Posted:
09/11/2010 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

The slightly watered down Cyprus Mail version of straws comment when you compare with the today broadcast IMHO

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/uk-urged-consider-partition/20101109

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
09/11/2010 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Wanderer re msg 7

What is watered down, please ?.. his main points are there for all readers to see ..

I'd hardly say " With smaller establishments where a seperate room isn't available it should be up to the owners discretion whether it is smoking or non smoking (with a sign at the door)" is 'uncontentious' !

During his last visit as Foreign Secretary he wasn't exactly made to feel 'welcome' as he chose to meet Talat.

I felt then that this was a clear example of "Liealotopoulos' " regime cutting up their noses to spite their faces - a 'stunt for public consumption and a STUPID move..

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
09/11/2010 14:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

OMG - ooops re msg 8

I cut and pasted a quote from another thread in paragraph 2

THIS should have been the Straw's retort as an example to Wanderer :

>>“Greek Cypriot Cyprus is using what is a relatively tiny dispute to try to stop Turkey coming into the EU<<

wanderer

Message Posted:
09/11/2010 16:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

listen to the iplayer link post 6 starts at 2hours 42 mins 55 secs and compare gc ratted on the annnan plan greeks threatened to veto all other countries joining eu etc etc

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
09/11/2010 16:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Wanderer, re msg 10

I listened to it ..

It is hardly a revelation that Greece threatened to veto the 10 nation enlargement of May 1st 2004 - if the RoC wasn't part of it..I've posted this many times on here.. as I believe has 'TRNC' Vaughan ..

The new rt of centre govt that replaced that regime was VERY supportive of TR's entry .... Greece was VERY glad to be rid of Cyprus and make it an EU issue.

wanderer

Message Posted:
09/11/2010 16:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

my comment 7

"The slightly watered down Cyprus Mail version of straws comment when you compare with the today broadcast IMHO"

Exactly that CM watered down the comments comparing what Straw said on Today

andre514

Message Posted:
09/11/2010 23:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

it would be interesting to discover the trading block's official reasons

when the europeans originally rejected turkey's earlier 1959 application

to join the then-common market: at the time, cyprus was still a british colony

and the british conservatives had instead set up a small competitor, efta

I agree with mark that greek cyprus uses the "relavely tiny" cyprus dispute,

to block turkey's entry this time around

but they are seriously deluding themselves this is how the universe actually works

there are far more significant ethnic and political reasons why turkey is to be kept out,

like er... many europeans tell pollsters time and again they want no more muslim neighbours

and... franco-germany hope to remain the biggest voting block and not to be "usurped"

by others ie great britain with turkey

to translate the thing into diplomatic language turkish membership is "inappropriate",

said m. sarkozy in 2007, and he certainly wasn't referring to the cyprus problem

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
10/11/2010 11:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

re msg 13

>>I agree with mark that greek cyprus uses the "relavely tiny" cyprus dispute,

to block turkey's entry this time around <<

I'm 'sorry' .....When did I 'say' THAT ?!

The 'rump' RoC has talked up the veto, before and was wise not to play the card... It doesn't even *need* to - what with France, NL, Austria and may be Germany ...

With temporary derogations re population movements, TR and Cyprus could both be in the EU

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.