North Cyprus Tourist Board - How to haggle? when it comes to buying furniture in North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > How to haggle? when it comes to buying furniture in North Cyprus

How to haggle? when it comes to buying furniture in North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» Read Cyprus44 Article on Buying Furniture in North Cyprus

homeheist

Message Posted:
12/01/2011 13:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

How do you know what is a fair price to pay for something in the shops such as furniture and beds. We are looking to buy but we know that there is never a price displayed and the general advice is never pay the first price they ask - but is there a rule of thumb to know what something is worth? or is it just pot luck ?

We are looking to buy sofas and beds early next year and could benefit from some advice

shaun463

Message Posted:
12/01/2011 13:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

yes same as UK look around and see who has the best price for what you want, and haggle same as UK,

the best that works for me is get is suggest the price you want and if they say NO say you will look around at other shops if the price you suggesed is OK they will try not to let you leave,

also go back and try another shop assistant and that time offer and bit more than they tuned down the time before.

Remember lots of shops sell the same or similar items and they want to sell as well so bargain

breezyboy

Message Posted:
12/01/2011 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Olgun either in Karakum or Lefkosa do very good quality at reasonable prices. If buying a lot they will discuss discounts.If you want to fit out a holiday let then they are not what you want.

homeheist

Message Posted:
12/01/2011 18:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Thanks - have looked at Olgun site they have some nice things.

Its a different mind set to the UK where everything is priced and you know where you are -what you can afford - and compare prices . I just wondered if prices are comparable with similar items in the UK . Cheers

tonyf

Message Posted:
12/01/2011 20:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Unfortunately most items of furniture and indeed white goods are considerably more expensive than UK. Nearly everything is imported and there is a fairly high rate of import/purchase tax. Secondly, and unfortunately the quality of furniture falls well short of European/British equivalents, hence we shipped a considerable amount from UK even though our property is only a holiday home. Try for a 20% discount, the few bits of white goods we bought we paid well below the original asking price, although had to buy as a job lot.

deputydawg

Message Posted:
12/01/2011 21:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

I agree with tonyf. Initially I was well stiffed when shopping here but have become cheeky since. When buying a pool lounger I asked the price and was told £40, so I asked what discount do I then get if I buy two, and was told 10%. "Great", I said, "as I need four which doubles up to 20% discount". The shop assistant took to a calculator in some confusion so I quickly waved the fully discounted sum in his face and he grasped the money. If you are spending reasonably large sums aim for at least 20% discount.

Mindy

Message Posted:
12/01/2011 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Definitely have a look in Lefkosia, furniture is cheaper than kyrenia, turn left at the big Lefkosia roundabout, there are a few furniture shops left and right side of the road.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.