North Cyprus Tourist Board - Border Crossing problems
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Border Crossing problems

Border Crossing problems

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

andy46

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 13:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 23 in Discussion

We were crossing to the South today via Metehan and needed to renew our car insurance. We stopped to go to the booth and a young bloke came up to us and said our car was not legal and we could not go through. He was really aggressive. It appeared that the big yellow front lights on our Pajero did not conform with EC regs. He told us to take them off. Of course as we had no spanners with us so we were stuck. Luckily the lady in the Insurance booth took pity on us and gave us insurance for 6 hours only.

I noticed as we left that there were two men looking at all the cars coming through. They were obviously out to get someone.

They are always trying something new to make life difficult!

Andy

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 14:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 23 in Discussion

Just heard that local TRNC club football team was turned back at border by TRNC immigration as the kids didn't have a parents letter of permission to cross to Greek side to play invitation return match.

Apparently the kids with EU passports were allowed to cross but their TC team mates with ID cards were not!

How's that for giving the GC press a free hand?

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 14:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 23 in Discussion

Just heard that local TRNC club football team was turned back at border by TRNC immigration as the kids didn't have a parents letter of permission to cross to Greek side to play invitation return match.

Apparently the kids with EU passports were allowed to cross but their TC team mates with ID cards were not!

How's that for giving the GC press a free hand?

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 14:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 23 in Discussion

Thats a real shame. Bet the kids are disapointed.

I wonder if it was just pure beauracracy involved in this or more a case of mind games.

McSteviet

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 14:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 23 in Discussion

Andy,

They have been doing this for sometime. Friends of our who were being given a lift from Girne to Larnaca (to catch a flight) in July were told the same thing. "Your lights are too big and high, take them off" They had been on the Land Rover for about 20 years and he couldn't get them off, but was not allowed through.

Our friends had to get out of the car with their luggage etc, someone called a GC Cab to take then the rest of the way to Larnaca, but another Brit was going through the border just after them and gave them a lift kindly, leaving the GC Cab to turn up for passengers who had already left. shame....

MC

Nunu1

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 14:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 23 in Discussion

What a bunch of petty officials these peopl are!.....After all my positive posting yesterday in favour of finding a solution to the North and South.....I say today build a Bloody brick wall across the border as thick and as high as the great wall of China!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I certainly wont be going South side again!.........Ive only driven from Larnaca to Kyrenia twice before..

The last 3 times Ive flown in to Ercan and this time I will be flying in to Ercan!

GC can get on with it!

Angry nunu!

Krin52

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 14:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 23 in Discussion

We got into quite an argument with the GC customs inspection lady one day last month.

She was adamant that we could not take cheese into the South from the North.

She was not listening to our explanation that we had bought the cheese the previous day at Alpha Mega and my husband was taking it back to Kuwait with him!

She finally stopped blustering long enough to see all the Greek labelling on the packets and just walked away!.

There's just no winning sometimes

(We laughed all the way to the airport!)

brian24001

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 15:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 23 in Discussion

Call me optimistic, but doesn't stuff like this happen every time there is something politically going against the CG struggle, i.e. the 4 hour or so closing in the past of the border after the Oram's ruling when UK passport holders were illegally denied access to an area of the EU, maybe there is wind of change from the talks or some apprehension of the ECHR ruling due out in the near future??

A few months ago we were [not denied but] asked to remove the extra bumper from our 4x4 that 'reduces' impact to any pedestrian unlucky enough to be hit.

Nunu1

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 15:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 23 in Discussion

My first time I visited TRNC was Jan 2006. I flew into Larnaca then drove to the North. Had a lovely time! Drove back to the South to Larnaca airport, was stopped by a man in protective clothing (Bird Flu Prevention) had the wheels of my car disinfected the drove to the next point.

This is the bit I like, the GC Customs officer asked me if I had any cigarettes or Spirits in my car? I replied no....He said are you sure? Yes quite sure I replied...I need to search your car he said feel free go ahead I said....

He was not happy!!!!! I dont drink Spirits and I hate cigarettes!....He assumed he would find both!

He said you can go in a fed up voice! Afaristo I said and drove on!

nunu

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 15:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 23 in Discussion

Just a reminder that the Metahan crossing may be very busy some days next week due to Bayram. If you go earlish in the morning it may be ok but 10am onwards can result in an hour or two delay. Been there, done that - coming back after 5pm ain't too good either....and forget it if you have to renew your MOT or insurance, huge, huge queues. Other crossing points should be ok but remember you have to go via Metahan if you want your annual MOT certificate renewed, it can't be done at any other crossing - I know, I've tried!

ttoli

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 15:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 23 in Discussion

Depends which official you get on the day, some adhere to E.C regs more than others, Bull Bars for example are banned(same as UK), just a thought with the yellow lensed driving lights, what about buying elasticated covers for them?

PtePike

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 23 in Discussion

Nunu: "I certainly wont be going South side again!.........Ive only driven from Larnaca to Kyrenia twice before."

What, just because a pain-in-the-butt EU regulation was enforced? Presumably the above points would be MoT failures in the UK too. You're going to miss so much of Cyprus.

kibsolar

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 18:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 23 in Discussion

To ban bull bars is corret. Should be banned also in TRNC. Kids and most pedestrants have no chance to survive in a crash above 30kmh. This is why they are banned in most EU countries. The studies which were done wee just freightning. And please dont forget: GC has other rules and laws then TRNC. you aYre officaly also not allowed to bring in cheese, meat or milk from GC to TRNC. Also not backwards.. Or did they change that again?

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 18:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 23 in Discussion

John.

'You're going to miss so much of Cyprus.' The South side? yeh right.

tarry67

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 20:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 23 in Discussion

Went yesterday and they tried to hold back our passports for some reason but a lady came out of the office and returned them. The insurance has now risen to 25 euros from 17 euros.

PtePike

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 21:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 23 in Discussion

AJ: "John. 'You're going to miss so much of Cyprus.' The South side? yeh right."

You are in a very small minority if you refuse to go to the other side just to spite yourself. Unless there are warrants...

jock1

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 23 in Discussion

pike did you comment on the edinburgh evening news yesterday.

jock

kiwikid

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 21:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 23 in Discussion

Bull Bars are banned in the TRNC and if you are stopped with them you have to follow the police to the station and they will cut them off your car if you can not remove them with a spanner. My friends jeep has a rubber one and is forever getting stopped, she then has to go and bend it to prove its rubber.

jock1

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 21:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 23 in Discussion

sorry pike, in the Edinburgh evening news.

jock.

Littlenige

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 22:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 23 in Discussion

can you get insurace at another place other than the border at a better rate ?

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 22:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 23 in Discussion

Nige,

They used to sell it at Jubilee exchange but they got stopped cos they were pinching trade from those at crossing!!!!!!!

tarry,

They did this a few months ago, quite a valid reason for doing so. You had to get your insurance if you did not already have it. Then go back to show insurance and got passport back.

Personally think this is a good idea as there are some who just drive through and do not get the appropriate cover. I know it is only 3rd party but better than nothing. No doubt those who flout the law will bleat in CT when they are locked up for having no insurance.

mags111

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 22:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 23 in Discussion

I was stopped at metahan in February by GC official who said our bumper was illegal and an add on (which it was not!!) He denied us access to the south by crossing out our tax certificate. I had to go back to metahan armed with my log book showing the bumper to be standard and lots of photos of standard Hyundai santa fe's all with the standard bumpers. The guy at the office was very helpful, gave me a new tax certificate and said 'No problem'!!! So obviously the first guy had a bad day and picked on us. Welcome to South Cyprus!!!! Yeah Right!!!

fire starter

Message Posted:
25/09/2008 13:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 23 in Discussion

we bring meat, cheese and milk back every week. had the car search on the trnc, they had no problem with it.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.