North Cyprus Tourist Board - Book recommendation please
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Book recommendation please

Book recommendation please

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

AndyR

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 10:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 30 in Discussion

I'd like to have a better understanding of the recent history of Cyprus, say from 1900 onwards. Can anyone recommend an unbiased book that looks objectively at this period?

Thanks

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 11:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 30 in Discussion

@ msg 1, AndyR: Dangerous subject! You're looking for a narrow, safe footpath in a wide minefield. Search the Internet for books about Cyprus (thousands!) and read/judge the comments on the content by other readers. Then make up your own mind about bias and more.

lionel

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 11:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 30 in Discussion

Genocide files ...harry Scott Gibbons ..i think is the Author

AndyR

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 13:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 30 in Discussion

DC, I've done that and have a few titles in mind, but as you say, there are a huge number. Frequently there are less well known books that you only find through personal recommendation.

I've seen a couple mentioned on Cyprus44 before but have been unable to find the threads, so I'm still open to recommendations from anyone else.

Lionel, thanks, I've found it on Amazon and it is by Harry Scott Gibbons.

Carndi

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 13:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 30 in Discussion

The history of the Turkish resistance movementn TMT ( Turk Mukavemet Teskilati ) is given in the book

' In Reality No One Was Asleep ' by Ismail Tansu.

The Turkish army and politicians wanted to solve the problem by peaceful means as Turkey and Greece were alies in NATO but when EOKA ( the Greek underground organization ) started targeting Turkish Cypriots then TMT was founded with the support of Turkey.

A good read.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 13:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 30 in Discussion

@ msg 4, AndyR: Genocide Files: it's for sale in the book- and newspaper shop in Girnes main street (down the street from the Belediye (townhall), on you left hand - I estimate it's about 100 metres). 20 TL if I remember well.

@ Books: It would help if you mention in which areas of Cyprus's history from 1900 you're interested. It's impossible to write it all in one book!

AndyR

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 13:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 30 in Discussion

DC, I'm in the UK at the moment but thanks for the tip anyway!

I'm specifically interested in the origins of and lead up to the partition of the island (in all forms, enclaves to green line to ROC and TRNC) . I think I have a balanced view but am genuinely interested in the viewpoint of all participants. I also have an opinion on this, which I'd like to clarify (or even change if it comes to that) for my own reasons. It's also an opinion that I choose to keep to myself!

Has anyone read 'Aphrodite's Killers' by David Carter?

erolz

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 15:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 30 in Discussion

AndyR, there simply is no single unbiased book than can be read alone and provides a complete neutral picture.

A couple I would recommend are "Burdened with Cyprus: THe British Connection" by John Reddaway.

another would be

The Cyprus Conflict by Zenon Stavrinides

Zoots

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 16:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 30 in Discussion

AndyR,

You mentioned you're looking for objectivity and not bias so I'm afraid that rules out Genocide Files by Scott Gibbons right away. This book was a Turkish-commissioned and funded propaganda piece, though it clearly goes down well with some who have invested in the TRNC.

Try Cyprus - Hostage to History by Christopher Hitchens or The Cyprus Conspiracy by O'Malley and Craig. Another good one is A Business of Some Heat by Francis Henn, a commander of the UN force in Cyprus at the time of the Turkish invasion who clearly saw things on both sides. It also tells of the little-known Nicosia Airport Incident, when the United Nations came very close to going to war with Turkey.

Awrabest.

erolz

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 16:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 30 in Discussion

Christopher Hitchens first wife is Greek Cypriot. As to if this 'colors' his views on Cyprus or not and to what degree that is down to each indivdual to decide. My personal view is that it does clearly color his views and opinions about Cyprus.

It's also interesting that when the OP asks for books about recent history of Cyprus from say 1900 onwards, you (zoots) offer a book that starts in 1974. Now where else do we hear the thesis that the 'problem' started in 1974 I wonder ?

AndyR

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 18:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 30 in Discussion

Thanks for all the info everyone, plenty there for me investigate!

erolz, you're right, it's not just what happened in the 70's that interests me, it's where the problems originated and how they were allowed to escalate.

I asked for recommendation for books that are unbiased and objective, but I'm a realist and know that I'll end up with several books from different perspectives. What I hope to do is cut out the 'everything is their fault' attitudes, for every side.

erolz

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 18:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 30 in Discussion

Andy the reason I suggested the books I did is that they come close to being 'unbiased'. The John Reddaway recounts events from a 'British' persepctive , so is bias in that regard but it does tend to try and be balanced between the GC and TC perspectives, offering insight into each.

The other book is one written by a GC yet that is considered quite blanced by some TC and indeed 'treachery' by the more rabid right wing nationalistic GC elements. It is not unbiased but it is more balanced then most imo.

AndyR

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 18:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 30 in Discussion

Thanks erolz, I will look at these.

Do you have an opinion on 'Aphrodite's Killers' by David Carter. It's one book that I have seen advertised in several places (online)?

erolz

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 19:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 30 in Discussion

I am afraid I have not read it myself so can not comment really on the book itself. The now sadly departed author David Carter would be seen by some as being too sympathetic to the TC perspective based on his previous books the Cyprus Tapes and his having lived in the North and having written in the past for NC papers like the Cyprus Today.

AndyR

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 19:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 30 in Discussion

OK erolz, thanks.

Mods, my query has been pretty comprehensively answered over the course of the day. Feel free to close the thread if you want.

rowlo

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 20:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 30 in Discussion

try the death of friendship , good unbiased read .

Zoots

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 20:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 30 in Discussion

rowlo,

Death of Friendship is another Turkish-sponsored propaganda piece in the same vein as Genocide Files.

As for David Carter, the most significant issue was his self-declared personal friendship and admiration for Denktas, which I'm surprised has not been mentioned above. You can write for any newspaper and maintain credibility but the minute you start cuddling up to extreme an extreme nationalist who was ultimately rejected by the Turkish Cypriots, your credibility has gone.

erolz

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 20:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 30 in Discussion

Lets be clear here shall we. Books like genocide files and the death of friendship are propagandistic in the sense that they tell the story from one perspective, the death of friendship for example is the personal account of a TC nurse. It does not mean that what is recounted in those books is untrue in any way, just that they do not seek to tell the story from any other perspective. As such as long as you understand this they are valuable resources in gaining an over all picture in my view.

I also have to have a wry smile at the desription of Denktash as being 'ultimately rejected by the Turkish Cypriots'. I mean of what political figured can it be claimed they were no 'ultimately rejected' by their electorate directly or indirectly. Other than a handful who were have been assisnated whilst in power it pretty much applies to every political leader the world over. The fact that this 'extreme nationalist' was voted into power for over 30 years is of course not relevant.

erolz

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 20:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 30 in Discussion

just as a comparision try

"the extreme nationalist Churchill who was ultimately rejected by the British people."

Creates quite an 'impression' no ? Not quite a truthful or accurate description though I would suggest.

Turtle

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 21:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 30 in Discussion

Getting it Wrong by Martin Packard.

Martin a British officer in 1964 publishes his diaries on Turkish Cypriot evacuations into enclaves and some of the events which took place.

An interesting read.

rowlo

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 21:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 30 in Discussion

im not getting involved with you pikey , only suggesting a book , if he reads it , he can have his own opinion ? the author has a british passport by the way ?

erolz

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 21:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 30 in Discussion

Indeed rowlo, Turkan Aziz the author who recounts her life in the book the death of friendship was also awarded an MBE in the 50's for her services to Nursing in Cyprus under British rule in the 50's. She rose to become the Cheif Matron of Cyprus in this period, the highest post a Nurse in Cyprus could achieve in those times and was respected throughout the Island.

malsancak

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 21:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 30 in Discussion

David Carter's new book, Aphrodite's Killers is well worth reading - http://www.northcyprusfreepress.com/2011/04/06/aphrodite’s-killer-by-david-carter/

gooligan

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 22:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 30 in Discussion

AndyR,why on earth would you want the thread closed when so many others have something to offer,if a certain moderator was online when you made the request it would have been closed..unfortunately.

However,another good book is called Journey into Cyprus by Colin Thubron who travelled all through Cyprus in 1972 with just a rucksack,excellent read.

erolz

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 22:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 30 in Discussion

Indeed a very good book gooligan, well worth a read if you interested in the history of Cyprus' troubles or not. Dam I am now going to have spend the next hour finding my favourite passage in the book again.

gooligan

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 22:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 30 in Discussion

Lol,mine was when he got to Lefkoniko (Getcitkale) which was famed for it's massive cauliflowers and he asked a liitle old Greek Cypriot where he could find them,he replied "The Turks killed them" no said the author,cauliflowers are vegetables.Oh said the old man,"The Turks ate them"

Brainwashed even then. )

AndyR

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 22:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 30 in Discussion

Gooligan, there have been 11 posts since I suggested that the mods close the thread. In those 11 posts only 2 books not mentioned previously were suggested.

I was very concious when I started this thread that it had the potential for 'heated' discussion and did not want to start that, I simply wanted personal recommendations. Dare I suggest that discussions (as opposed to recommendations) on the merits or not of any particular book and it's author should be in a different thread.

I've used this forum for a couple of years now and the one thing that I struggle with is threads that veer off course and dissolve into bitter arguments and insults. I'm not saying that's what's happening here, I just wanted to avoid it!

Mods, please DO feel free to close this thread now.

erolz

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 22:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 30 in Discussion

lol that was the bit I was looking for myself Just found it (page 177,178 in my edition)

"Later I stopped an old woman. 'Cauliflowers....' she said suspciously . ' There aren't any. The Turks killed them.'

'But they aren't people....'

She said quickly:'They were pulled down. Demolished.'

'They're vegetables,' I said firmly.

She wiped a dirty sleeve over her mouth as if to speak better, then answered with finality: ' The Turks ate them.'

Politics aside what is so endearing about Colin Thubron's book is the gentle non judgmental humanity he brings to his accounts, of ordianary people living in distressing times. Well worth a read.

gooligan

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 23:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 30 in Discussion

That's the one Erol,it's been a few years since I read it,going to have to read it again.

AndyR,threads only turn heated if you let them,people like 'zoots' try to inflame them but just ignore him and let the thread evolve,that way everyone benefits,even the GC sympathizers (even though they wont admit it ) )

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
01/05/2011 17:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 30 in Discussion

This thread is now closed. Reason: Thread was addressed and no need for further posts.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.