North Cyprus Tourist Board - Turkey ‘needs EU less and less’
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Turkey ‘needs EU less and less’

Turkey ‘needs EU less and less’

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

basil

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Turkey’s chief negotiator for European Union membership says that the country needs the EU “less and less”. Egeman Bagis, the minister for European Union Affairs, told The Times: “The Turkish public is getting more and more discouraged and frustrated by the attitude of certain EU leaders towards Turkey. We are no longer a docile candidate waiting at the gates of the European Union. Turkey is the rising star of its region, a source of inspiration for the ‘Arab Spring’.”

Turkey asked to join the EU in 1959 and began accession talks in 2005 but the process is now at a standstill.

Of the 35 policy areas that candidate-nations must negotiate, Turkey has opened talks in only 13, with eight chapters frozen over Ankara’s refusal to open Turkish ports to Cypriot vessels and another five blocked by France.

The issue of EU membership has hardly figured in the Turkish election campaign. It appears only on page 151 of the ruling AKP party’s 160-page manifesto.

Times online, 11 June 2011

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 13:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

msge 1

Thanks for sharing the article

"The issue of EU membership has hardly figured in the Turkish election campaign. It appears only on page 151 of the ruling AKP party’s 160-page manifesto."

"Turkey is the rising star of its region, a source of inspiration for the ‘Arab Spring’.”

Turkey could see itself once again as the head of the Ottoman empire. The TV shows that it is exporting to the Middle east is changing Arab values. This has not really been mentioned as a possible catalyst for the Arab spring.

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 14:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Re : Msg1,

That's that then. Everyone is happy.

As for the 'Arab Spring', it is not that rosy.

Only last week I read in the Economist the article "Turkey is heading for a hard landing". The main points are that Turkish economy is in a serious danger of overheating; it has the record current account deficit and highest than ever core inflation.

The central bank has been trying to lower rates and to raise bank reserve requirements .But analysts say that the government should clamp down on spending, and the recent cuts don't yet reflect the extent of the tightening required.

YFred

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 14:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

It's called tacticks. When you play a game of cards you never show your hand and always make the person opposite think you have a better hand.

Turkey needs EU and EU needs Turkey. Full stop. What Turkey needs to do is reform to the EU standards and she will be in. The process of joining is one of criteria and not popularity vote.

It has nothing to do with Cyprus. British have soldiers stationed in Cyprus and does not seem to cause any problems.

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 15:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Re : Msg 4,

Agree re meeting the EU accession criteria. But when is it going to happen: in 20 years, or 50 years , or perhaps - the way it is going now - never?

JohnDownes

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 17:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Message 4. I don't think anybody needs the EU, and certainly not Turkey . Do the Turks realise that it would mean surrendering their right to make their own laws and control their own borders, set their own foreign policy etc etc? As for the EU needing Turkey that's also doubtful. The last thing it wants is the prospect of millions of uneducated Turkish farm labourers being given the right to arrive and settle wherever they like.

The peoples of Europe are beginning to identify the EU as a busted flush. The Euro project is directly responsible for the economic catastrophes in Ireland Spain Greece and Portugal. A vainglorious project for the enrichment of second-rate politicians and the promotion of an expense-account lifestyle among the political class. Nobody else benefits.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 17:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

We'll all be 6 foot under before it happens!

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 17:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Re : Msg 7,

Oh dear, ever so optimistic, No1.

I feel I should take you for a walk to find the Forth Fortress, but I'm not sure about your map-reading abilities.

Deniz1

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 17:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

A recent survey in turkey showe 69 percent in favour of joining last year it was 48 percent.

walkerscott

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 18:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

I totally agree. The UK doesn't either!

http://www.democracymovementsurrey.co.uk/dyk_eucosts.html

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 18:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Turkey has got the main thing it needs from Europe which is the ability to trade openly with EU countries. I guess its a similar deal to Switzerland. It would probably benefit from the EU handouts but there is a price to pay for this as noted by Johndownes.

As for the economy overheating, well high inflation often accompanies high growth, its often mature economies (where people have lots of savings) who get their knickers in a twist about high inflation.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 18:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

msge 9

You are right. I remember reading about this poll recently. Didn't someone post it on here?

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 18:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Re: Msg10,

walkerscott,

Then your man is Nigel Farage, vote him in as your PM, he'll take the UK out of the EU, and we shall all live happily ever after!

P.S. Nice to see all my neighbours supporting a deserving democracy movement.

YFred

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 19:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

I can never understand the mentality of the average westerner. They think that immediately the borders are opened millions will cross over for a better life and do what exactly?

Migration has always been going on and will always continue as it does today. If anything, if the political situation as well as economic opportunities improve by being in the EU why would anybody leave their land and go to a place for lowest pay. The Poles were supposed to flood into the EU, sure few hundred thousand did and most returned.

If Turkey joins the EU in 10 years, it means the justice system as well as social health and services would have been improved up to the EU standard. How can you begrudge that to the ordinary Turkish Citizen. Live and let live. Let go this dreaded nationalism, no good to you or your heart.

However I do fear for the RoC economy if ever Turkey gets full access to the south of the border. My fascist cousins will kiss mehmetcik's boots.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 19:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Clarissa. It's not my map reading abilities you should worry about! ) )

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.