North Cyprus Tourist Board - Lifting barriers is good news!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Lifting barriers is good news!

Lifting barriers is good news!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Follow North Cyprus News with Cyprus44 News

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
30/07/2011 22:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=lifting-barriers-is-good-news-anyway-2011-07-29

In Cyprus, there is a historical green line between the north and the south separating the two ethnic entities. People can pass through, but goods from the north can not. Turkish Cypriots from the north are allowed to work in the south, but they have difficulty in selling their products. That was one big reason why the regional disparity became structural on the island. There are two embargo regimes in the region: One is in Israel against the Palestinians; the second is in Cyprus against the Turkish Cypriots. Both are bad.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
30/07/2011 22:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Last week the Greek Cypriot government derogated the law – but just for electricity generators – because of the tragic accident at the Mari Naval Base that wiped out 52 percent of the electricity supply in the south. It has been years since the south has turned to the north.

I see this as a positive step forward, albeit a temporary one. Liberalizing trade is good for peace; making it permanent is beneficial to both sides and to the region as well. We are not there yet, but it is good to imagine.

Lilli

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 00:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

hold that thought xxxxx

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 00:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Lifting barriers has to be a two way thing.

elko2

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 00:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Cyprus problem has passed its point of no return long time ago.International players are minding their own interests. North Cyprus is well advanced in terms of integration with Turkey. Almost all Turkish Cypriot families have a bride or a groom from Turkey. Over half the population of north Cyprus is made up of Turks, some would say 70-80% are Turks.

So small steps like some trade between north and south makes good reading for the politicians and those who make a good living as mediators or special representatives.

ismet

dublinderm

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 01:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Hi,

The mixed village of Pile/Pyla has been supplied with water from the North for decades. No problem for the GC's to accept it (free of course).

Also in Pile/Pyla, the TCSF observation post on the ridge has been supplied with electricity from the South for decades (also for free).

DD

bertieboss

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 01:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Message 5 - unfortunately you are right. Cypriots are becoming a minority.Whether that is a good thing is debatable but it is sad.

waddo

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 08:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Ismet,

Always wary of asking cultural questions as it can offend even when well meant - but - I often read or hear about Cypriots complaining (both sides) that "such and such" is leaving them in the minority - i.e. To many mainland Turks are coming to Cyprus and the Cypriot Turk is vanishing.

The world has changed vastly in the last 100 years and I now think it would be simple to place a finger on a world map and state "The people of ????? are becoming a minority due to people from ???? going there to live". What is often not said is that "The people of ????? are becoming a minority due to them moving to other countrys".

Is it not possible that the Cypriot Turk is as much to blame for its own "minorityship" (new word that) as for its country being over run by Turks, British, Germans, Dutch, Russians, etc, etc?

Just asking.

pc4854

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 08:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Good point Waddo. This is what is happening through out Europe and the western world. The other day I saw a black french athelete in contest on the Tv and it was not something that had really registered in my brain, where did a black frenchman come from, answer of course -France. I it went through my mind that in all these countries and that includes south Cyprus, there has been immigration and intergration over the last couple of decades and this is set to continue. You only have to look at the UK to see it happening "before your very eyes!" (whose catch phrase was that?) So in the fullness of time both North and Soth Cyprus populations will have undergone this same change.

DoctorW

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 09:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

It is easy to say that turkish cypriots are becomig the minority, with the mainland turks moving in however things are a little more complicated than that.

You only have to look at Britain to see that mass emigration has led to there being more British than less. The first afro carribeans that sailed into Britain, in the main saw themselves a foreigners. Their children and their childrens children in the main see themselves as British, even though of a different ethnic background. There are asian, afro carribean and many incomers during the war who firmly see themselves as British and are proud to be so.

The process in TRNC is not so far down the line as in the UK, but will eventually reach this stage.

elko2

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 09:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

I am not complaining about the changes and in fact I find it inevitable. Now there is a lot of talk about white and green id cards and the opposition is up in arms.

The other day I met a Pakistani who knew me by name. He graduated from EMU, Famagusta as a Civil engineer and has been working as such in Famagusta for the last twenty years. He has no criminal record, not even a speeding ticket. His wife is from Pakistan as well. Yet he has not been granted citizenship. Almost all building construction workers are from Turkey, some have been here for over twenty years and they have to spent a lot of money and time in order to continue to live here. When they want to register their children to primary school, they have to obtain so many papers, pure officialdom and nonsense.

We must learn to be fair and humane before we have a right to copmplain about Greek Cypriots for their past actions.

ismet

waddo

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 11:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Ismet,

Thanks for the reply, I do try to understand but with a British background, having accepted that these days being British (true) really means you have been born in Britain and not just bought your way in. At first look the new white/green kimlik cards could be a way to solve this problem here in that one could eventually lead to citizenship whilst the other shows you to be resident but foreign.

Having looked also at the rules for gaining Turkish citizenship in Turkey they seem to have it about right and really only those who are born there or have married - and stay married - to a true Turkish citizen can gain full citizenship. If handled correctley (we can still all live in hope) then to be a full citizen of Cyprus and be able to call yourself "Cypriot" the only way should be that you have been born in this country - that will annoy lots of "London Cypriots" (born in UK) but you can't have it both ways!

Interesting times.

Pippie

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 18:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

I think that if you move to a country wanting to make it your home for the rest of time to come, pay your taxes, support your new country through spending and integrating with the communities around you, try to speak the language a little to fit in better, and accept and abide by (though not necessarily agree with) with the rules and regulations governing the place then you should be entitled to call yourself a citizen of that country.

Now if you don't want to do any of the above you should 'go back to where you came from'!

Over the years in the UK I've heard many people throwing that remark around. Unfortunately it's often used when someone has been stereotyped by a prejudiced person but you've got to accept it if you insist on acting like you don't want to be a part of the country. You can't be a part time citizen, it's a full time duty!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.