North Cyprus Tourist Board - is it OK to leave swimming pool empty?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > is it OK to leave swimming pool empty?

is it OK to leave swimming pool empty?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Swimming Pool threads posted so far

edd62

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 22:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

I haven't been able to get over to my holiday home for 2 years. The electricity has been cut off and i have been told by a neighbour that my swimming pool is half empty and the water has turned green and mucky. Is it advisable to empty the pool and cover it? would that do any damage?

I would appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Tango1

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 23:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

For your neighbours sake you should get it emptied and thoroughly cleaned (if nothing else). You have a potential mozzie hazard there - they love to breed in stagnant water.

Marion

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 23:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

do consult an expert, but I was told a long time ago that to leave a swimming pool empty is inviting cracks in it. But i could have been misinformed. However, cracks in a pool are probably better than the mozzies which will be attracted to your green murky water.

I thought that on this forum there were those who tend to pools - where are you now, guys. Please give edd62 some knowledgeable advice.

mozgor

Message Posted:
28/08/2011 01:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

I was told that the pool needs the pressure of the water to prevent the tiling from damage. If you get it emptied and cleaned, then cover it up, it does reduce the water evaporation a bit, but you would need to get someone to maintain it to keep the same thing from happening again.

We only manage over once a year and have our pool maintained, it is expensive, but so was the pool.

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
28/08/2011 09:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

In a word NO, Lots of damage to tiling and grouting. The Sun will bake it.

The dirty water will stain the grout, and also be a health hazard to the neihgbours.

martinD41

Message Posted:
28/08/2011 09:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

It should be law that if you have a pool, it must be maintained whether you use it or not...an abandoned pool is a definite health hazard...Mozzie breeding ground.........Pools should also be covered...

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
28/08/2011 09:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

If the pool was strongly built, no harm should come to it if emptied - but, and this is a BIG BUT - too many pools have been built by 'Dump It And Run Merchants'!

You can get the local Beledisi [Council] to dose it with 'anti-mossie' chemicals - usually, just a matter of asking them, or getting someone else to.

Geejay

Message Posted:
28/08/2011 13:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Some good advice already here. If you leave your pool to collect rain water over the winter season then the belediye may well fine you for providing a mossy breeding ground.

One cannot just leave one's house and pool. You have a duty to others to maintain it to prevent health hazards. Get an expert in to look after your property in your absence, like Stringers or other managers.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.