North Cyprus Tourist Board - The black rat or tree rat here in Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > The black rat or tree rat here in Cyprus

The black rat or tree rat here in Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

judyr

Message Posted:
02/09/2011 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 4 in Discussion

I have looked through previous posts concerning these rats but noone seems to mention what one should do about them. I have a very large laurel tree in close proximity to the house and these creatures have now moved into it, eating the berries. They were previously living in the pine and the palm trees further away from the house but now that they are much closer I am concerned if they can do any harm, healthwise. The internet suggests that the black rat is the one that carried the bubonic plague! Anyone any experience of these creatures and advice as to whether i need to do anything?

oliveoil

Message Posted:
02/09/2011 12:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

A good tip is to spray the area with cinnamon oil, if it can be found in TRNC am not sure but they dont like it but if you google it you will find lots of answers, here in England we call the grey squirrel a tree rat.

BoTanica

Message Posted:
02/09/2011 13:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

As far as I know the garden rats here aren't carrying disease like sewer rats, but they will start coming in your house if they can. I have 4 pomegranate trees and not one single fruit, that I can see, has been left untouched, they are a bloody nuisance but not (as far as I know) dangerous.

Panchocat

Message Posted:
02/09/2011 15:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

Our placid English Dalmation watched our two Cypriot hunters playing cat and mouse with a large tree rat the other week, he charged in and dispatched it rapidly and cleanly.

Seems he has learnt hunting skills from the other two!

Do you have a cat or dog? They would keep the rats down as of course do the black snakes who were introduced by the British to kill the rats.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.