North Cyprus Tourist Board - reclaiming land from the south
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > reclaiming land from the south

reclaiming land from the south

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Orams Case Land Dispute Judgement

» North Cyprus Title Deeds

» Is It Safe to Buy in Northern Cyprus?

madturk

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 21:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

I WONDERED IF ANYONE KNOWS IF LAND CAN STILL BE RECLAIMED FROM THE SOUTH.

my dad left his family to come to england prior to the conflicts , his family where re-housed only in the north

the family estate was about 100 donums near limassol, in a village called DOHNKI . not sure on spelling.

most of the family are now dead and we have know idea where to start tracing deeds ect.

so any advice would be grateful

Bradus

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 21:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Was he given title deeds/ownership for the property when rehoused in the North? If so has he not exchanged his ROC property with the TRNC Government. The TRNC Government would then have the deeds.

If not won't he need to go to the ROC Land Registry and trace ownership and get copy of deeds. See if anything has been built on the land or if it has been compulsory purchased. I have read that the ROC make it very difficult to get this sort of information so be prepared to spend lots of time going from department to department.

Good Luck.

madturk

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

As far as I know some of his sisters were given Greek houses, but not land

Because he was in England when they were re -housed he never got his entitlement .

I don't think they were given title deeds to their new houses.

So it looks like it's the roc we need to look at .

Bradus do you know what we will need paperwork wise

Bradus

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 23:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Madturk if you do a Google search by typing in,"claiming back Turkish Cypriot Land" Several case studies will appear plus some useful articles and questions and answers on this topic. I hope you find the information you seek.I am NOT TC so its not something I know a great deal about but hopefully one of the TC's will see this and help you.

Good Luck

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 23:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

noting that your family might have been given ın the north would be taken into consıderation since the northern part is not recognised and classed as none existing part of the island as far as the RoC is concerned.And since your dad left the island prior to 74,he does not fit into 'must reside for 6 months ın RoC',and the claim could be put forward straight away.

Gather as much paperwork as possible before hand,ıe.bırth certificates.

I have 2 friends in Vasillia,Karşıyaka,they are twin brothers from Dohni and their families now live in Aysergi,Yeni boğaziçi,if you need further help regarding location,etc.......and they are both fluent in greek since they both work there.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 23:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

ps.

I' say the best person on this forum to speak to is YFred.

mind you,he is a Luricadi........

Stonehousepub

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 23:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Madturk

Your first port of call is the muhtar in Dohni, you will have to give them your father & grandfathers name as it was at the time (nick names etc).

The muhtar will trace all land in the village of dohni under the names you give him, he/she will then give you a print out of the results which you then have to take to the relevant land registry office where you will pay a fee. They will ask you to come back after a couple of months at which point you will be given a duplicate copy of all deeds to any land property your father or grandfather have registered in their names.... The rest is very complicated but the above is enough to keep you going for a while ;)

Stonehousepub

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 23:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

msg 2

The TRNC goverment does not hold ROC deeds and no official exchanges of land or property actually took place.

Stonehousepub

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 23:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Salahi

Are you talking about the 2 little ruckers ?? Tuff as old boots us Aysergilis ;))

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 23:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

yes Ozi,I spent quite a bit of time with Mehmet abi and his lovely wife Selvet teyze.........

Bradus

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 23:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

stonehousepub,

I had read that when the TRNC Government allocated GC property to displaced TC, this was done in exchange for their "southern deeds" Hence the term exchange property. Are you saying this did not happen and the TC were given GC deeds and also kept their ROC deeds? Or were no deeds given to the GC property allocated in the North.

Thanks for clarification and all information.

I know no agreed exchange took place between the TC and GC owners but I always believed (obviously wrongly) that the TC's exchanged their Southern deeds with the TRNC Government.

Bradus

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 23:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Or have i simply fell for the Estate Agents Waffle?

Exchange Deeds - Or Esdeger:-

The North Cyprus Title Deeds in this case were given by the TRNC Government to the Turkish Cypriot refugees who escaped to the safety of the north after the 1974 war and who left all their possessions behind in the south.

The Government assessed the value of the refugee's forsaken assets in the south on a points basis. With the points granted the refugees could take a relinquished Greek Cypriot house or land valued at the sum of the points awarded - this was in compensation for the lost properties on the south.

The Turkish Cypriot then signed over his property in the south to the TRNC government to be held by them pending a negotiated resolution and settlement between the north and south Governments.

The owner of such a title deed is allowed to sell the property it relates to.

You will find that many Turkish Cypriots you speak to gave up considerable amounts of land in the South of the islan

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 23:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Bradus

what good is that,as far as your last your last sentence is concerned,when even if it did take place a tc can walk into RoC land registery office and claim all they had in the southern part pre 74?

a big f**k up by eu and the rest of the world,or what?

madturk

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 23:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks guys for all your advice . I will keep you posted on the progress .

If we get anywhere your all in for a free night out

Bradus

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 23:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

I copied and pasted the above from a well known house builder in the TRNC.I suspect most people assume that this is what happened in the exchange process. However I could have posted at least 6 builders/estate agents/advocates definitions that say exactly the same.

Because I'm a bit of a lady, I'll agree that it's a cock up rather than a f**k up. Oh to understand all that happened!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/09/2011 01:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Sorry to be THICK.. but where is Dohni ? Tochni I know of... the village infamous for the massacre of TC males - following the relaunch of hostilities (walking out of the peace talks in Zurich) - and a BIG military push - by the Turks in August 1974

"exchange land" is a total 'joke' .. which is why GCs should be approaching the IPC..

TCs can now approach the RoC Custodian of TC Property and the 'six month residency' in the 'rump RoC pre-requisite has gone - following an out of Court settlement - when an elderly UK based TC wanted to claim back her property in LCA district.

Good luck, 'madturk' !

Visitor

Message Posted:
20/09/2011 09:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Here is a link for the ROC with info on the Custodian of Turkish Cypriot property

http://www.cyprus.gov.cy/moi/citizenscharter/citizenscharter.nsf/dmltkprologue_en/dmltkprologue_en?opendocument

I think in the first instance you need to take up Yorgs offer. His friends may know where the land is located or how to find out if they are from the same village. That would at least give you give a starting point.

Let us know how you get on!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.