North Cyprus Tourist Board - UK TO RECOGNISE NORTH CYPRUS!!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > UK TO RECOGNISE NORTH CYPRUS!!

UK TO RECOGNISE NORTH CYPRUS!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

davidoff

Message Posted:
25/10/2007 17:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

Hi all,

Just read a recent article in the turkish daily news that gordan brown signed an agreement with erdogan to allow direct trade and education agreement between the uk and north cyprus!!

Can anyone else in NC confirm that aswell?

Any further news on what exactly this means etc?

Take care-D

davidoff

Message Posted:
25/10/2007 17:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

P.S-Sorry forgot to mention this happened on Tuesday this week apparently!!

Would have posted the link but I had problems trying to do it!!

ian-mary

Message Posted:
25/10/2007 17:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

http://www.topix.com/world/cyprus

ian

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
25/10/2007 18:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

On the BBC news page for tuesday it was reported that trade between north & south cyprus was now allowed & traders from both sides were registering to do so.

grahamlil

Message Posted:
25/10/2007 20:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

Does anyone have any idea what effect this will have

dodger

Message Posted:
25/10/2007 21:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

i know a man who will "message for uk turk"

dodger

Message Posted:
25/10/2007 23:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

just read the article davidoff,good old gordie,looks like the greeks have seen their arses though hope he doesnt back down.good things seem to be happening,towards the north,fammagusta ferry, ledra crossing u.k. wanting to trade etc.from little acorns eh,one can hope.

jetl3on

Message Posted:
25/10/2007 23:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

Conflicting reports going on in the UK, this was posted today on Reuters.

ATHENS (Reuters) - Greece summoned the British ambassador to Athens on Thursday to protest about the wording in a British document concerning Turkish-held northern Cyprus.

David,

The Greek Foreign Ministry said it called in ambassador Simon Gass after London and Ankara signed a cooperation agreement that included a reference to the "Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus".

EU-member Cyprus remains divided along ethnic lines since a failed coup in 1974 that was engineered by Athens with the aim of uniting the island with mainland Greece. Turkey invaded the northern third in response and has occupied it ever since.

The Greek Cypriot government in Nicosia is the only internationally recognised authority on the island. Only Ankara recognises the breakaway northern region as a sovereign state.

"The meeting ... was a strong demarche from the Greek side," a source close to the meeting told Reuters.

"The ambassador assured the Greek side London had not changed its stance on Cyprus and does not recognise any authority other than the Greek Cypriot government."

Talks aimed at reuniting the island have stalled since Greek Cypriots rejected a U.N. peace deal in a referendum in 2004. Turkish Cypriots voted in favour of it.

pilgrim

Message Posted:
26/10/2007 00:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

same old scenario, bottle gone out of british. pity

Bradus

Message Posted:
26/10/2007 00:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

Came across this....would appear that Michael Stephen is still fighting the corner for the TRNC

Cyprus article appears in Parliamentary Brief

AN ARTICLE urging British parliamentarians to lift the embargoes on Turkish Cypriots has appeared in Parliamentary Brief – a publication on British political affairs billed as the “magazine of the political in-crowd.”

Written by barrister and former Conservative MP, Michael Stephen, the article claims Cyprus is a case of “Christian fundamentalism-v-moderate Islam” and urges support for the moderate Muslims of Cyprus.

Mr Stephen insists that the driving force behind Greek Cypriot actions against Turkish Cypriots was and still is the Greek Orthodox Church, which, he claims, dreams of Hellenising Cyprus and annexing it to Greece.

He writes: “Today the Greek Cypriot ‘Government of Cyprus’ controls all the Cyprus embassies and prevents the Turkish Cypriots trading directly with the world; they prevent direct flights to airports in the north of Cyprus. They exclude the Turkish Cypriot voice from the councils of the world, (including the UK political party conferences). They will not allow Turkish Cypriot teams to participate in international sport; they try to prevent access by the Turkish Cypriots to international funding and expertise to protect the heritage and environment; they complain that churches in the north are in disrepair whilst bulldozing mosques and Muslim shrines in the south, and they are trying to prevent European recognition of Turkish Cypriot universities within the Bologna process.”

Mr Stephen calls on Britain’s new prime minister to press for the full inclusion of Turkish Cypriot universities in the Bologna process and for the right of Turkish Cypriot MPs to speak in the European Parliament whenever Cyprus is considered.

The article appeared in the October issue of Parliamentary Brief under the headline: “The moral duty owed by Britain to the quiet Muslims kept in purdah by the high priests of Cyprus”.

Michael Stephen is the author of The Cyprus Question. He is an international lawyer and a member of the Royal Institute of International Affairs (Chatham House).

Source: http://www.londragazete.com/popup.php/cat/19/news/11499/PageName/English_News

dy1259

Message Posted:
26/10/2007 00:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

I posted an evidence backed report written by Michael Stephen called 'Why is Cyprus Divided?' in the thread 'The Aftermath of the Turkish Intervention 1974-77'. It is a long read but worth it and it justifiably incriminates the GCs.

ukturk

Message Posted:
26/10/2007 03:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

hi there guys

as usual the greek cypriots getting paranoid and spitting their dummies out of their prams so the greek foreign ministry summoned British Ambassador simon gass to Athens on thursday in protest of the signing of a strategic partnership document earlier this week by the Turkish and British prime ministers that included a single reference to the KKTC

what its all about is on tuesday the Turkish and British prime ministers signed the strategic partnership document committing the two countries to cooperation on a number of issues, ranging from turkey's bid to join the e.u to joint work in the fight against the terrorist activities of the pkk and al-Qaeda. the document also pledged to end the isolation of the turkish cypriots will be supported, calling for diplomacy to allow direct trade between the Turkish Cyprus and Britain and between the KKTC and the EU in general.

what this basically means all the u.k is saying they will help and put in a good word to end the embargos have direct flights and let n cyprus trade with the rest of the world but at the end of the day thats all they are saying they will help not that they are going to start direct trade with n cyprus

but what greece and s cyprus are complaing about is due to the treaty signed between turkey britain and greece to be guarntors britain did not inform greece that turkey and britain was going to have this meeting and talk about n cyprus (even thou the actual meeting was more about turkey going in to iraq) even thou greece broke this treaty years ago when they were goin into cyprus to commit enois (hypocrites)

do they think they can break this treaty when they want and then uphold it when it fancies them or they have forgotten there is no treaty left once you broken it how can a treaty remain in place

also they are complaining that out of this meeting even thou the greeks were not there to know what actually was said that britain favoures north cyprus to be reconized as a seperate country because the greeks only want unification but under greek conditions with the government having a 70/30 majority so again the turks being a minority with no turkish army there and we all know what happened the last time this happened

so in my summary what good will come out of this simpley nothing all britain are saying is that because of past history and ties (being a guarator) they will help turkey to resolve the embargos placed on n cyprus which they should do because it is a human rights injustice!!!!!!

thats my lot!!!!

p.s all n cyprus and their people want is a slice of the pie not the whole damm lot like the greeks this is good thou once again the greeks are showing their mentalality to the rest of the world they are helping us more than they ever will know

davidoff

Message Posted:
26/10/2007 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

Hi all,

But it proves agin how quickly the greeks pounce on people at the slightest mutter of NC!

Sooner or later there going to be one who tells the Gs to get lost and will ignore their demands!!

Hopefully!!!!

People are growing increasingly agitated by their bad attitudes!!

Oh well at least its rattled their cage again and they are paranoid!!

Take care-D

dodger

Message Posted:
26/10/2007 23:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

we need to do more then just rattle cages though.its so bloody annoying,how can they break treaty after treaty and be allowed to get away with it its not a level playing field and the goal posts always seem to be moved in their favour i cant see how it ever will.The gcs are like the big bully in the playground that everyone is frightened of,or the spoilt brat that always gets their own way.but i suppose at the end of the day someone will always stand up to a bully.but i cant think who that someone will be.n.c. has so much to offer if it were only given a chance,christ you would think i was born there the way i am ranting on.over the last year i have taken a very keen interest in the country and done a lot of reading on the conflict etc and only over the last few weeks thanks to you guys on the forum have i managed to piece together what really happened.keep the faith guys one day, maybe.

ian-mary

Message Posted:
27/10/2007 00:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

nice one dodger

davidoff

Message Posted:
27/10/2007 00:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

Hi dodger,

I know what you mean until I started to dig deep did I too start to understand the truth about the cyprus past and how so many people are mislead from the truth by G propaganda!!

After a while its as if you become obsessed with it the more you learn!!

It s a bit like you want to tell everyone the truth and hope that they stummble across it aswellso they can make up their own mind!!!

You feel frustrated that so many people DO NOT REALISE WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED BEFORE 1974 ??

Take care-D

Take care-D

lovelife

Message Posted:
27/10/2007 13:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

Hi D

Talking of people who do not know, I tell people I will be moving to NC and they say 'how nice I've been there' so I ask them where did they stay? answer Phapos!!. Then I have the rigamarole of telling them the difference, then they start on about the land 'stolen' from the GC,so then I have to tell there that there are in fact 2 sides to a story and the GC's are not as innocent and hard done to, as they make out.

It gets fustrating having to explain every time, but I look on it, the more people who become acqainted with the basic facts, then hopefully as you say people (if they are interested), can start making their own minds up,

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
27/10/2007 14:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

I know what you mean lovelife. The worst ones are those that stare at me blankley. I know they are thinking, 'that is stolen land', although they don't say so directly to my face.

So many Brits have stayed in the South, and everytime they go they have to listen to the GC view. Some of heard the GC storey so many times that they have now convinved themselves that this is the truth. They have internalisd it and are not prepared to see the other side.

McSteviet

Message Posted:
27/10/2007 14:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

I have never stayed in the South, or even visited yet, but from what I hear, it's just like Spain in parts, over developed, full of English Pubs and shops etc.

No thank you.

I will visit there, but That description is why I love it so much in the North. Quite, unspoilt etc etc.

MC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.