North Cyprus Tourist Board - Advice: To fly or not to fly
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Advice: To fly or not to fly

Advice: To fly or not to fly

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

NorthernJoy

Message Posted:
22/01/2012 23:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

I am sitting here in Alaska prepared to buy my plane ticket to TRNC for my move to the Girne area in mid-February. I heard about the power strike and came to see what is being posted about the problem on cyprus44. I am unfamiliar with the politics and why there is a conflict between the Turkish government and the TRNC government on the issue. I am left with a feeling of apprehension. If you were me, would you buy a plane ticket at this time? Is this a temporary situation?

rowlo

Message Posted:
22/01/2012 23:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

what airline you on ?

NorthernJoy

Message Posted:
23/01/2012 03:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Buying ticket from Alaska into Instanbul (airline undetermined). Planning on picking up a one way ticket out of Istanbul to Ercan once I am in Instanbul. Am bringing 3-50 lb suitcases.

andy2b123

Message Posted:
23/01/2012 11:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Booked my tickets for return in March.You have lots of time keep checking this forum

andre514

Message Posted:
23/01/2012 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

northern joy,

you do seem to have worries about coming to the trnc:

last october you posted about the possible difficulties of

buying vitamin supplements and flakes etc in north cyprus

as regards this query you should be familiar with all the

austerity and cuts arguments in the western world at the

moment, and our trnc electricity dispute is rather similar

assuming you really have any serious apprehensions

it's maybe best to trust your feelings and keep your money

on the other hand it is always very difficult to predict the

outcome of industrial disputes, especially seeing as the

government of turkey acts as protector and has been the

main donor of financial assistance to the turkish cypriots

I am sure they will see fit to continue the most vital of

all these committments, despite grumbling and cutbacks,

far into the forseeable future

and cheap portable generators are freely available here

yrret

Message Posted:
23/01/2012 16:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

NJ

Get on the plane and have an adventure.

Hector

Message Posted:
23/01/2012 19:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

"Get on the plane and have an adventure."

or a nightmare.....

NorthernJoy

Message Posted:
23/01/2012 23:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Thank you Andre. The only apprehension I have of coming to North Cyprus at this time is when I read that Turkish military and police are guarding the power stations now. My ears did perk up at that news. I began wondering if now is the time for me to arrive is all. And yes, I have asked for feedback on what is available for me to maintain my nutritionally focused lifestyle. I only want this move to be as smooth as I can control and am so very excited at the idea of experiencing yet a new culture!

Yes, I am too familiar with austerity politics nowadays. Your words have given me comfort and put the electrical strike matter in perspective.

Thank you so very much,

Joy

NorthernJoy

Message Posted:
23/01/2012 23:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

I am with you vrret. I am an adventurer at heart and it's definitely when I am happiest. Now that I have tied up my family's "loose ends", it's my turn again.

MoBry

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 02:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Life's too short to spend it worrying about "what if's" and if you can control a move. Let go, jump off the cliff, Joy, and enjoy the flight to new adventures. We're just sold our home in Australia to move to North Cyprus. Sure there might be hassles, but there are hassles in any country. It's just a case of being respectful, letting things flow and surrendering to a new life. We're 64 (me) and 75 (husband) and the one lesson we learned when I nearly carked it two years ago is that you need to seize opportunity and don't live in regret of what might have been. Good luck, perhaps we'll bump into each other as newbies in North Cyprus!

NorthernJoy

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 03:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

It would be great to meet you MoBry.

I totally hear what you are saying. I read a book once called The Artists' Way that said "Leap! The safety net will always catch you." I have proven over and over that it works. Just spending my last weekend with my amazing daughter and my leaving my family behind may have me subconsciously second guessing my choices? I suspect that won't last long once I leave. ;)

MoBry

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 04:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Yes, I know how you feel, Joy. I'm remembering my mother and father, who both died in Australia, and our little Jack Russell, Rosie, who died of old-age in our present home, and all our pets long gone. But I have had a wonderful time in Australia and made heaps of lovely friends, had lots of adventures, and our family is waiting for us in the UK which we intend to visit once we get settled. I think the presence of the internet and face-to-face talk on Skype makes travel so much easier and remaining in contact with good friends and family really at your fingertips now. And yes, I've read The Artist's Way too, great book!

breezyboy

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 18:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

I was over last week and with a gas hob and a gas fire and a duvet it wasnt that bad. Only 3 or 4 power cuts and you knew it would come on in time for all good little union members to have their tea on the table when they got home.

But the timed central heating and hot bath were welcomed on saturday back home!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.