North Cyprus Tourist Board - Pool advice needed: Emptying
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Pool advice needed: Emptying

Pool advice needed: Emptying

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Swimming Pool threads posted so far

Texas

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 19:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Once a pool has been emptied, are there any recommended tasks to be done?

I have a 10 x 5 overflow with roman end.

I have heard about acid cleaning and re-grouting where the acid has eaten away the original grouting. I am also interested in any other jobs regarding the balance tank, overflow channels, coping stones, lights, etc.

Can concrete pool seats be made as part of the pool?

Thanks.

yrret

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 19:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Are you sure you haven't got the cart before the horse here?

I would question why you are emptying the pool if you don't have known jobs to do up front, not empty it, then ask what you can do in it to fill your time.

However, if you have only 'heard' about these jobs may I suggest you do a little research before dumping about 80tons of water

All jobs on the BT can be done without emptying the pool, in fact empty the BT first, do what needs done in there, then re-fill it from the pool before emptying that, saves 7-8ton water instantly.

Yes you could fit a concrete sofa, and tile it, suggest you make it a different colour tiles to the floor in case some unsuspecting person dives in on it not realising it's a bit shallow there.

Good luck, if it's re-grouting, a god awful job to do.

Texas

Message Posted:
25/02/2012 23:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Good point.

I have to have the grouting re-done, I have no choice, so that's why the pool has been emptied. So now it's emptied, I am looking at other jobs that would be better done without a full pool.

I have bought one of those grouting guns, that you fill up with your own choice of filling, so at least it will hopefully "force" the grout into and under the tiles that need it.

Good idea about the pool sofa. Has anyone had this done?

Thanks.

Panchocat

Message Posted:
26/02/2012 00:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Be careful that the tiles on the bottom don't all move once the water has been removed from the pool.

Acid cleaning is a pretty awful job, we had Cyprus Pools do all of the above to our pool, not a job I would like to have under taken myself.

Have you asked a pool company for a quote? Would be money well spent IMHO.

yrret

Message Posted:
26/02/2012 07:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

I'm sure you will have, but have you looked into the grout situation?

Be ure to mix in plenty of PVA (Marshalls do an actuall pool type called Ceresit).

When mixing get a mixer thingy that fits in a drill, available from Mr4tl and mix it really well.

As a mixing guide, when I grouted our pool, I used the Ceresit and a drop of water, only used 2 gallons water for the whole pool, rest was Ceresit, makes the grout very plastic so less likely to crack, and sticks to the tiles like the proverbial sh1t to a blanket.

If you have never changed a pool bulb, while the water is out, check your cables are long enough to change in the future above the water line.

Don't bother with an acid clean, after you take out the old grout, I ground out to about 4mm, you can tell when you are deep enough as you see the comb effect of the adhesive, and re-grout, you will end up scrubbing of the excess when dried with a scourer, pool will be cleaned then.

Texas

Message Posted:
26/02/2012 07:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

I have checked a few websites regarding pool seats.

This one looks interesting as you could remove it (with some help) if necessary. You could also make a table in the same style: http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-28033669/stock-photo-underwater-seats-in-the-pool.html

As far as the Acid Bath, I would not do it myself, even though a few videos on you tube, do make it look quite straightforward: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxJI2ZZQ6B0

I also wanted to get underwater speakers. I thought about this when the pool was being built, 6 years ago, but the builder couldn't stop laughing! As I have a friend coming here from Columbus, Ohio next month, I could have this model: http://www.lubell.com/9484.html

Groucho

Message Posted:
26/02/2012 08:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Steve,

The underwater furniture sounds like an invitation to a stubbed toe to me.... either that or a broken limb of worse... remember people have a habit of falling-in!

I can't for the life of me see what the attraction of the underwater speakers is unless you want all your music to sound like Enya! Mind you, I thought shower radios were a gimmick...

Texas

Message Posted:
26/02/2012 10:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

yrret,

Thanks for the advice. Why do you think it unecessary for an acid wash?

Also, I am a bit confused with your following statement:

"I used the Ceresit and a drop of water, only used 2 gallons water for the whole pool, rest was Ceresit". If I understand this correctly, there must have been thousands of drops of water in two gallons?

Groucho,

Whilst in Germany, they had underwater speakers in flotation pools. You can hear perfectly well. As I can spend up to 10 hours a day lying on my underwater (well, I am underwater) lilo, I think it makes complete sence.

There was also a company making swimming goggles that had a little earpeice. You plugged in your memory card and hey presto. Strangely enough, you do not hear through your ears, but through a small bone under your ear, as this is where the little earpiece went.

Stubbed toes, just a small inconvenience to us experienced sailors!

Groucho

Message Posted:
26/02/2012 11:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Steve, mad as it seems - sound travels faster through water than air!

Texas

Message Posted:
26/02/2012 14:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

I have cleaned some tiles with a simple solution of lemon juice. It easily removed the smears/marks etc. Presumably limescale. These were wall tiles.

The floor tiles have some rust staining. Lemon juice removed these too. I also have rust spots. These arrived at the same time some metalwork was being done near the pool. Angle grinding! Anyone have any ideas how to remove these? Lemon juice did not work!

Groucho. You still amaze me with your endless knowledge. Fancy making a team at a quiz?

Next weeks questions will be on re-sealing gulleys and the best value grill covers.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.