North Cyprus Tourist Board - UK Registered Car Can it go South for a day whats the implications
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > UK Registered Car Can it go South for a day whats the implications

UK Registered Car Can it go South for a day whats the implications

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

wanderer

Message Posted:
22/08/2009 12:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Can a UK registered car that has entered the TRNC as first port of entry go south for the day ?

Will the car be allowed back into the TRNC ?

Will the car still be able to be registered as a TRNC car after going south of the border?

Or would it have to go to Turkey for a day trip to make it suitable for TRNC registration ?

Also will the south recognise the UK insurance for the that covers the EU usage ?

Isn’t life complicated !!

Mr Vince

Message Posted:
22/08/2009 13:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Yes did it last year. Had to have insurance for EU countries and show that car was road taxed. No problem

CapeWines

Message Posted:
22/08/2009 14:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

"Also will the south recognise the UK insurance for the that covers the EU usage ?"

Yes, but make sure that your UK insurance provider knows in advance about the trip.

Cape Wines

wanderer

Message Posted:
22/08/2009 14:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Mr Vince CapeWines

Thanks very much for that

Her indoors wants to see the snow on theTrudos so a bit of await yet!!

elkiton

Message Posted:
23/08/2009 11:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Hi, Until I registered my uk plated car driven / ferried in through Kyrenia ealier this year, I travelled to the south monthly.

Whilst I could not say that I had definite problems, I did receive ongoing hassle from one particular GC customs officer, and this has happened to my neighbour too. When he was on duty I was subjected to a loud harrangue re "entering Cyprus through an illegal port"...and "these import papers are not valid, they are TRNC and worthless", plus several full inspections of the vehicle and its contents. When I asked what they were looking for the reply was simply "contraband".

Towards the end we were being asked why we would possibly want to live in the North, where we lived, our house location etc etc. This all stopped as soon as we had TRNC plates.

So if you get any excessive questioning don't worry, it is just another example of the ROC attitude problem towards the North and its sympathisers.

best regards

TonyE

kiwikid

Message Posted:
23/08/2009 11:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

My friend goes across at least once a week in her uk reg car and never has any problems, but as elkiton said there is always one GC custom guys that seems to give everyone a hassel, I'm sure he just likes to make people feel uncomfortable, just smile he can't really do anything as long as you are not breaking the law.

Angela

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
23/08/2009 23:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Hi Wanderer

re msg 1

You have right of freedom of movement in a EU registered car, and provided it has a current EU green card, UK RFL and MOT ( if necessary) - and you have prove of ownership and entitlement to drive the vehicle there is NOTHING the RoC official can do. *I* recommend entering the "south" via SBAs - if you don't want hassle, but remember the clock starts ticking - as far a s the Roc - are concerned - when the car lands in Cyprus, and your UK car MUST be registered in the RoC after six months - under EU law - if it is going to stay in CY.

Naturally, as the RoC can't enforce this in "TRNC".. but if you drove that car in the RoC on UK plates after six months you ARE breaking an EU law, and the RoC authorities can fine you for non registration.

As for "illegality" - YES - there is a RoC law re the legality of ports of entry, but the RoC have never fined anyone, and even dropped a case against a GC using Tymbou / Ercan.

Can't speak for "TRNC" "customs" S t

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
23/08/2009 23:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

(cont) Can't speak for "TRNC" "customs going south to north ... plenty of posts re that on here..

minertor

Message Posted:
23/08/2009 23:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Crossing to the South via SBA are the only times my car has been searched before being allowed in.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
24/08/2009 10:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

re msg 9

>>Crossing to the South via SBA are the only times my car has been searched before being allowed in.<<

Quite.. they do the job they are supposed to do, and should know their onions about a UK reg'd car .....

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.