North Cyprus Tourist Board - Where to find GCSE Results for TRNC Schools?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Where to find GCSE Results for TRNC Schools?

Where to find GCSE Results for TRNC Schools?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Schools Posts

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
07/09/2010 12:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Does anybody know where one can find the IGCSE/GCSE results for those schools in the TRNC offering those courses?

Would be particularly interested in learning ALL unexpurgated results for:

Sunny Lane (now British Academy North Cyprus),

Near East University,

GAU.

I understand ESK has yet to start GCSE courses. Is this correct?

I would prefer to learn them from the relevant Examination Boards as I'd like a complete picture of where schools are strong and weak.

Also, does anyone have similar details for UK curriculum schools in the ROC close to the border?

Many thanks.

malsancak

Message Posted:
07/09/2010 14:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Gordon, the school would not be allowed to sit exams as Sunny Lane, for example, as I doubt there are any exam centres in the TRNC. Students would have taken the exams in the south and their results would be as part of that exam centre. I've been responsible for iGCE, iGCSE and GCSE exams for Cambridge and only the RoC centres were on the list.

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
07/09/2010 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Msg 2, you are wrong. Sunnylane, now BANC, and GAU are approved centres for IGCSE exams. Both my children have taken IGCSEs at SL with excellent results, they both took Maths a year early getting A/A* grades.

Msg 1 - check this link http://www.britishcouncil.org/cyprus-exams-results.htm which shows the results for the whole of Cyprus - you should be able to identify the TRNC schools in the Cambridge exams but the Edexcel listing does not include SL for some inexplicable reason. SL has been a centre for 3 or 4 years.

Crumpy

Message Posted:
07/09/2010 19:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

IGCSE and 'A' level exams for CIE (Cambridge International Examinations) in the KKTC are done through the British Council in Lefkosa. Schools, such as the British Academy, are called "attached centres". However, although just an "attached centre", the pupils at the British Academy sit their Cambridge exams in the school building. About a third of the GCSE and 'A' level subjects at the British Academy are done with the Edexcel board. For Edexcel, the British Academy is a recognised exam centre.

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
07/09/2010 19:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Just checked the CIE results and it looks like they have tidied up the documents, previously it named the school in the file heading when you clicked the link.

Crumpy

Message Posted:
07/09/2010 19:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Message for Come_On_Aylin :

I need to speak to Rory (the lad that got the A in Maths a year early) before school starts. On Friday, some friends and I will travelling up the coast ... and I could easily call into Esentepe on the way. I only need to talk with him for about 10 minutes.

It's probably best that you reply to me by email - my edress is on my profile.

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
07/09/2010 20:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Msg 6, emailed you.

malsancak

Message Posted:
07/09/2010 21:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

well I stand corrected if a TRNC school is an authorised centre I understood that candidates would have to take their exams in the south. Any idea what their centre number is?

Groucho

Message Posted:
07/09/2010 23:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

The British Academy and GAU are examination centres... as you will see if you investigate the links given already.

Crumpy

Message Posted:
08/09/2010 00:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Re : message 8

Malsancak wrote "Any idea what their centre number is?"

If you are asking as to the British Academy's numbers, I can tell you tomorrow, but let me remind you that for (your) Cambridge board the British Academy is only an "attached centre" of the British Council in Lefkosa.

"I understood that candidates would have to take their exams in the south" - that's definitely not the case ...

Lilli

Message Posted:
08/09/2010 00:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Well thank you for clearing that up. Well done rory. we knew you were a bright boy.

Groucho

Message Posted:
08/09/2010 07:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Ian the "attached centre" distinction is a moot point. They take the exams at the centre with a British Council invigilator.

The relevant point is, they don't have to travel to any other place to take their exams. Certainly not the south and they are able to take exams very highly regarded in the UK.

Because coursework is not assessed by the school in lieu of part of the exam - all marks are based on performance under the more telling and stressful exam conditions IGCSEs and are more highly prized by the academic establishment (Universities in particular) than ordinary GCSEs.

That's why many UK private educational institutions had in the last few years adopted IGCSEs over GCSEs. A trend that has only dropped back as they are not assessed for the schools' exam pass statistics. i.e. they are forced to go back to the lower standard GCSEs only to increase their apparent performance on paper.

malsancak

Message Posted:
08/09/2010 09:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

I agree about the iGCSE and IGCE exam only approach for academic subjects but not for vocational subjects such as Business and ICT. Having marked the ICT iGCE exam, and having moderated GCE ICT coursework based on practical tasks, I know which course best prepares candidates for the world of work.

Groucho

Message Posted:
08/09/2010 10:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Mal,

Preparing for the the world of University is, as we would probably both agree, not the same as preparing for the world of work.

malsancak

Message Posted:
08/09/2010 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Groucho, when I trained teachers of A level Vocational GCE Business Studies I was stunned how little they knew about the world of work so that, for example, they could not help students create a realistic Business Plan as part of that course.They preferred to teach theoretically. I was a rarity in education, having owned and run businesses.

Groucho

Message Posted:
08/09/2010 13:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

I'm sure that to a large extent the world of education has't changed much.... with a few exceptions we've had the privilege to know.

It would be interesting to know how many TRNC start-ups have put together a realistic business plan. MBA's seem to be two a penny here but it would seem nobody has much of a clue how a business should really be created.

Crumpy

Message Posted:
08/09/2010 14:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Groucho

Re ; msg 12 - "They take the exams at the centre with a British Council invigilator" - In fact for both Edexcel and CIE the school employed their own invigilator: The British Council asked the British Academy to use the teachers there as invigilators, but the school's management felt it was less disruptive if someone without any teaching responsibilities was employed.

Ian

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.