North Cyprus Tourist Board - [ RECIPE ] A Mush or Pap for a Royal Sunday lunch
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > [ RECIPE ] A Mush or Pap for a Royal Sunday lunch

[ RECIPE ] A Mush or Pap for a Royal Sunday lunch

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Restaurant threads posted so far

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 21:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

In medieval Cyprus (Lusignan era, 1291-1489) apricots were used in a variety of ways. They were baked in earthenware pots with meat and wine for the Sunday dish known as "psito tis kyriakis" and they were converted into a paste that was served as a confection or used to ornament elaborate dishes during a period of fasting (the Lusignan era was dominated by the Roman Catholic faith).

Be patient now - the recipe will follow...

One such Cypriot court recipe has been preserved in the medieval German cookbook "Daz Buoch von guoter Spise" (translation: Book of Goodly Fare), compiled about 1350-70 or 1365-70. ((There are several other Cypriot recipes in this book; they appear to have been translated into German from a lost Frankish (= medieval French) text)).

In this apricot recipe - be patient now, the recipe will follow... - the Cypriot clue lies in the Frankish name for apricot: hrosomille, a word often misconstrued as Jerusalem. [ more ]

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 21:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

The dish in question - definitely a specialty for a British Sunday lunch! - is a pap or thick soup made from a purée of cooked peaches (substituted for apricots, which were not easily obtainable in medieval Germany) and almond milk.

Here's a translation of the recipe in the German language:

"A Mush or Pap

If one chooses to make a nice pap for Lent, take peaches, mix with thickened almond milk and cook it well in the milk. Then sprinkle it with sugar. This pap should be called "de hrosomilles". One eats it cold or hot."

The medieval upper-class Frankish Cypriots ate this with a spoon from silver or gold and from Chinese porcelain bowls. This may be a problem for the C44 readers, so you're free to use the stuff from the 1001-shop.

Enjoy your meal!

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 22:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Anyone interested in the recipe for a medieval Cyprus Sunday stew (consisting of small pieces of goat or pork lungs or some other type of offal) cooked tender in sesame oil, to which fried meatballs, cinnamon and cumin should be added? This stew should be sprinkled with rosewater before serving, so prepare yourself... (This stew was popular in circles of wealthy Greek speaking Cypriots and petty Frankish noblemen).

If you need more ideas for a special meal, let me know in this thread...

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 22:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

not to my taste mate ;-)

Jeannie

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 22:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Hans - interesting recipe, but, sadly, not to my taste

Warm regards.

Jean

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 22:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

There is another food called Pap, that i have never actually enjoyed, but is a staple dietary component in South African cuisine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pap_%28food%29

Personally, i find it rather gross, but if you are raised on it, then i guess it's as tasty as your mothers Sunday roast!!

DD

spider

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 22:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Think I would much prefer some Parogie or galomshgie we had as children AHH I can taste it now so I may well just make it for this Sunday...very nice.

Spider,X

swyflot

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Messages 1, 2 and 3.......WHY ?????

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
31/10/2010 08:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

RE msg 8, swyflot: (...) Messages 1, 2 and 3.......WHY ????? (...)

▶ Swyflot, I'm so glad you're back on the board and - of course - finding one of my messages to ask one of your silly questions. Food (in this case: medieval recipes) is part of Cyprus' history. And so is clothing (I'll do that later), transport (camels and donkeys, later), building, religion etc. Do you have a problem with threads about (Northern) Cyprus on Cyprus44? Write to Izzet and/or the moderators.

matula

Message Posted:
31/10/2010 10:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Msg 6 Mielie Pap is a staple in South Africa. At any Braai (BBQ) pap will be served for those who enjoy pap en vleis.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.