North Cyprus Tourist Board - Taking a TRNC registered vehicle to the UK
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Taking a TRNC registered vehicle to the UK

Taking a TRNC registered vehicle to the UK

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

girnegeeza

Message Posted:
30/05/2011 00:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

We have had many posts asking the cost of import duty to bring a vehicle from the UK to the TRNC.

Would anyone know how it would work the other way round, that is to take a vehicle purchased in the TRNC back to the UK to keep.

Has anyone done this, or looked into the duty payable, would it be worthwhile or too costly?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Navek

Message Posted:
30/05/2011 01:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Hi girnegeeza,

There has been a post about this previously.

I think it all depends on the spec of the car.

Is the speedo in KPH/MPH?

How old is it?

Would it pass a UK MOT?

Good luck.

Navek

Groucho

Message Posted:
30/05/2011 06:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

You will get a much better price for your car here as prices are very high. One that will enable you to buy an equally good if not better car in the UK where second-hand values are low. One that is already fully UK spec. If you bought the car here sod's law says it does not meet full UK spec, which is a costly thing to put right and they are very hot on this.

Then factor in the costs of transporting it back to UK - not cheap - and it's a no-brainer.

Sell it here...

Jefferson

Message Posted:
30/05/2011 07:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Listen to Groucho he has got it spot on.

bazzagirl

Message Posted:
30/05/2011 09:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

dont bother I tried it a couple of years ago and it is not worth the hastle and cars are cheap as chips in England

girnegeeza

Message Posted:
30/05/2011 14:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Thank you all.

I suppose it makes more sense to sell here and buy back in the UK.

I think my car would be to UK spec as it is a Ford Focus with MPH on the speedometer so it would not need any expensive changes to pass a UK MOT. Also I would drive it back rather than ship it, so would be able to take some belongings and make a holiday of it.

Would the UK import duties be to much?

55tone

Message Posted:
30/05/2011 15:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

just to give you an idea to compare prices..bought a 04 focus flight 1.6 70k miles for my daughter back in the uk 2months ago for £1900..if your focus is uk spec costs to consider..17.5 %vat(as car is coming from non eu state + import duty which was between 3-5%..first registration fee was £35 might now be £55..mot £54..road fund licence depends on age and emissions between £125-£250..last but not least number plates £10-£20..the only bonus is the process is far far easier!!!!

blade

Message Posted:
30/05/2011 19:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

I am not sure you would pay import duty on the car if you were relocating back to the uk?

From what i understood if you had/ or the car had been out of the Uk for 5 years then no tax would be payable?( if it came from the UK in the first place) not sure of current rules if i were you i would email dvla & customs directly and ask them.

Any car over 2001 has new tax road tax brackets you can see them on the UK dvla website, it depends on the emmisions.

VAT in the Uk i belive currently is 20% not 17.5 % it went up i think on the 1st Jan this year.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.