North Cyprus Tourist Board - new banking code of practice
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > new banking code of practice

new banking code of practice

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Banks Related Threads posted so far

» See North Cyprus Interest Rates

PIPIE

Message Posted:
29/01/2009 21:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

WE have been told by Julie at HSBC that customers need to provide evidence of UK address by June this year , new banking code of practice all customers must adhere to , by this new ruling , by a certain date !!!!! strange .

elko2

Message Posted:
29/01/2009 21:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Funny that I do not have an address in UK, what shall I do?

ismet

girne 29

Message Posted:
29/01/2009 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Does seem strange ,my uk bank doesnt ask for my TRNC address.

Might be something to do with the supposed arrangement with the UK,to take TRNC off the moneylaundering list and let them become respectable.In return for that ,I believe TRNC banks will have to give details of British account holders. I suppose by giving UK addresses ,the bank can supply inland revenue with list of people liable to pay UK tax.

PIPIE

Message Posted:
29/01/2009 22:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

.Move in with me Elco LOL !!!!!!

I feel uncomfortable giving this info out as it is another channel for would be fraudsters to access my personal details !!!!

eager

Message Posted:
30/01/2009 01:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Oh Eric Blair...it's all coming true, Won't be long before everyone has to be microchipped !!

Menace

Message Posted:
30/01/2009 11:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Dont understand this,like message 2,what are you supposed to do if the TRNC address is your only one?

dozza67

Message Posted:
30/01/2009 15:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Very strange. I bank with First Direct which is part of HSBC. They know my TRNC address and send my statements here. They have never asked for a UK address and they know we don't have one. HSBC are always finding problems.

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
30/01/2009 20:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Hi, I had my internet banking ,blocked for most things a couple of weeks ago, and was told I had to go into HSBC bank and fill out a new form giving all my details. When I got their I asked why and they said it was because I had been with the bank a long time -( 5 years!!!!!!). They didn't ask for an English address, just my permanent address, which is here.

fire starter

Message Posted:
30/01/2009 23:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

girne

i have been told they do that already! from a unhappy customer,lol.

kiria

Message Posted:
31/01/2009 04:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

PIPIE,

I strongly suggest you do not cooperate.

It has to do with the dictatorial, undemocratic laws that the EU is slowly and quietly introducing. In this case with the "savings directive".

According to this law all the finances of EU citizens or residents has to become fully transparent to the authorities. If i.e. you are liable to UK taxation (and you probably still are, even if you did not live in the UK for many years), than your savings/income anywhere in the world are subject to UK taxes.

The EU went to ALL the countries on this planet and forced them by a combination of threats and benefits to cooperate. Most of the countries surrendered to the heavy preassure, and the banks have to report to the tax authorites to which their customers "belong". So if you have interest income in the TRNC, it will be reported by your friendly TRNC bank directly to the tax authorities in the UK.

Very few countries were able to resist the preassure and stiil do not

kiria

Message Posted:
31/01/2009 05:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

continued---

cooperate (i.e. Singapore and HongKong), but they are under very heavy preassure to comply.

If you are brave, tell HSBC that you refuse to cooperate with undemocratic laws, and if they don't like it they should close your account. If you are less brave, just tell them that your only address is in the TRNC.

It is only through our ignorance and fear that the EU is able to do such things, and if we shall not resist and fight back, we will indeed end, as eager wrote, microchiped and under total control.

Just stand up and DO NOT COOPERATE. We still have the power.

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
31/01/2009 08:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Went to HSBC yesterday. They got us to sign a revised "HSBC Banking Agreement (TRNC)". The revision date was 01-04-2008 and the revision number was 03.

It's 14 pages long and you have to sign every page.

It asked for our address. We gave them the TRNC one. They asked us if we had anything "official" with the address on, we showed our TRNC driving licence. No problem. They never asked if we had a UK address. We asked for a copy and they gave us one.

Perhaps the girl at the Bank had a rudimentary grasp of English, or was fairly new, but seeing as we were Brits, (no, we didn't have an England shirt, or knotted hankie), did not prompt her to demand a UK address.

Off to the launderette now, have lots of washing to do!!!

Bloody EU.

PS. Did you know that if you work for the EU, EVERYTHING you spend your money on, is without VAT. So you buy a bottle of Stella for 1.50€, get a little receipt from the mini-market, hand this in at the end of the month, you get a refund!

PIPIE

Message Posted:
31/01/2009 17:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Kiria ,

Thanks for advice will definitly not be giving out this information . And yes if need be will cease banking with HSBC .

Just to clear up any confusion at present we reside in the UK and we own property in TRNC .

We also have other bank accounts in TRNC and up to now we have not been asked for this information

fire starter

Message Posted:
31/01/2009 19:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

can i just ad to this?

as a resident of the trnc but only on tourist status.

residency issues legally are very hard.

if you spend X amount of days out of the uk you are classed as a resident of?

but most people here only have tourist visa's!

something needs to be sorted out.

breezyboy

Message Posted:
01/02/2009 22:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Very misleading title. Not a change in banking code of practice just something said by one bank. Some people just like scaremongering for no good reason!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.