North Cyprus Tourist Board - pigeon problem
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > pigeon problem

pigeon problem

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

pilgrim

Message Posted:
29/12/2007 16:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Advice needed anyone have any good ideas of how to rid/discourage pigeons as every time we visit we our villa the mess they leave is terrible, even when in occupation they leave their droppings continuously. all ideas considered, mind you I dont like firearms!

thanks in anticipation.

p

Graham

Message Posted:
29/12/2007 17:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Pilgrim

When we first moved in I bought a supa soaka water pistol and used to give them a bath, after seeing where they perched I fasten rows of clear fishing line to stop them landing.

Graham

Tiggy

Message Posted:
29/12/2007 17:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Hello Pilgrim,

I have a leaflet here at work regarding pigeons and people. I could send it to your England address. The problem is that they have a homing instinct and building sites are places for nesting etc. If food is discarded or left for them then they have the ideal environment to breed and become a nuisance.

They also carry disease on them, Salmonella, Tuberculosis and Ornithosis. They can also cause repertory ailments, like "Pigeon fanciers lung" and allergic skin reactions which are picked up from contact with droppings, feathers and parasites; or when dead pigeons get in to food or water sources (tanks)

People feeling sorry for them and feeding them are the main cause of problems and they in the long run are not helping the birds. They should be discouraged from leaving bread etc for them. This also attracts rats & mice.

It may be worth having a word with your site rep to see if they can stop food stuffs being left around by builders and also to stop them nesting in unfinished villas/apartments.

I wish you luck with the problem, but be aware some people have blinkers on when it comes to this kind of thing and will look on you as an animal hater!! I consider them to be flying rats to be honest but would never harm them.

You could also trap them and eat them as a humane way of getting the numbers down.!!

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
29/12/2007 18:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

The best way of getting rid of them is to put up a sign saying "pigeons not allowed"

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
29/12/2007 18:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

My parents had problems in their garden in the UK with pigeons. They were advised to get a plastic owl and perch it on their wooden pergola and it seemed to get rid of them!

grahamlil

Message Posted:
29/12/2007 18:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Sorry,

But the best way is lead poisioning, but don't forget they make good eating.

Regards grahamlil

dodger

Message Posted:
29/12/2007 19:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Birdlife may have the answer to this one,i think lead poisoning is a bit harsh graham,shoting would be better as it is instant.

pilgrim

Message Posted:
29/12/2007 19:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Many thanks, I like the sign idea mind you I don't think they'd understand as my pigeons are thick as they never even move much when I chase them. They stroll around like its there place and I,m the intruder! ( I can understand their logic as their there more than me). 'Lead posioning'in what form, how do you administer? not sure I want to kill them, but my patience is waning and action is imminent.

cheers

p

pilgrim

Message Posted:
29/12/2007 19:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Tiggy , thanks offer appreaciated I,ll email you my uk address.

tonyhickey

Message Posted:
29/12/2007 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Rats with wings kill um,

Bradus

Message Posted:
30/12/2007 00:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf815960.tip.html

Looks like its a common problem Pilgrim.

marik

Message Posted:
30/12/2007 09:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

hI dodger I think Graham was possibly referring to shooting when he said lead poisoning lol ;,)

pilgrim

Message Posted:
30/12/2007 12:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

thanks marik, I ,m a bit slow after all the christmas fare!

ukturk

Message Posted:
30/12/2007 16:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

hi guys

i had a problem with these flying rats on my roof, so what i did which is the most effective (killing does not work) is some sort of anti perching device, what i did is install spikes all along the edge of the roof and between these spikes i joined them up with steel barbed wire this stoped the problem, if you need any more info or advice ive posted a link take a look there many other options you can go for

http://www.picasuk.com/deterrents.htm

hope this helps

ukturk

Tiggy

Message Posted:
30/12/2007 17:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Discouragement is the key to getting rid of these vermin. Once they have been moved on then you need to keep up the campaign.

Putting spikes up all over the building is unsightly and not what you really want your new home covered in.

I have looked on http://www.picasuk.com for all the conventional bird control methods and the results are not good and expensive. Scientific proof shows that lethal control is completely ineffective, as I said earlier to discourage the nesting and feeding sites is the key to a mess free home.

Hopefully neighbours in the area are not feeding the flying flea bags and may need to be spoken to if someone is.

If this does not work then maybe they will need a lead pellet !!

pilgrim

Message Posted:
30/12/2007 17:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

thanks folks, have considered plastic spikes, good for ledges, but I'd have to cover whole roof and as tiggy says unsightly. pity there is'nt a 'painless long sleep pill' to diminish the numbers. ( currently about 40 commuting between my neighbours villas and my villa)

grahamlil

Message Posted:
30/12/2007 19:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Pilgrim

Yes sorry lead poisoning is shooting, however if this is a step to far, constant harrying will work given time, don't let them nest, make sure there is no food around to attract them, buy yourself a supply of small fireworks "bangers" and keep harrying them, as Graham said a water pistol if you can get in range, the owl or bird of prey will work to some degree, but you have to keep moving it around, if you let it stay in one place the pigeons will get use to it and it will become inefective, try to mount it on a spring or hang it so it is constantly moving, so as not to be obtrusive fishing line is good the birds cannot see it and as they land they fly into it, this will also help.

Regards grahamlil

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.