North Cyprus Tourist Board - Imported Cars
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Imported Cars

Imported Cars

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Amber

Message Posted:
06/02/2009 10:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Have heard that customs officers have recently taken cars, mainly from British that were imported from UK. Not sure of the circumstances, but think it is because duty not been paid.???

My advice, serioulsly, if you decide on bringing a car from the UK, would be to import a classic car. That is one that is over 25 years old. It is much cheaper than bringing a newer car. We can offer advice to anybody who maybe considering doing this.

Hatty

Message Posted:
06/02/2009 11:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Amber

I would be most interested in some advice on this, costs, proceedure etc.

Thanks

joandjelly

Message Posted:
06/02/2009 12:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Please bear in mind that it is not just the vehicle being over 25 years old that is important, it has to be a classic that the Classic Car Club class as a classic (if you see what I mean) not just some old banger. Also bear in mind that you will need to have proof of the car's original sales value.

Hatty

Message Posted:
06/02/2009 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

I am aware of the criteria, I have contacted the Classic Car Club and tried to download forms etc but the web site keeps telling me that the pages are "under construction". Does anyone know how to register and get forms etc.?

sparta

Message Posted:
06/02/2009 13:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

i have a dodgem car that i won from the fair ground, can i export this car to TRNC, i was told it was a classic by the local pikeeee, and worth more than the goldfish.

Amber

Message Posted:
06/02/2009 14:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Any car over 25 years old is considererd as a classic car in the TRNC. (Although not Kit Cars). Before importing to NC, the car must be registered in your name in address in the UK. You will need to become a member of one of the 2 Classic Car Clubs in the TRNC. You will require proof of the price of the car at its year of manufacture. If the manufacturer is no longer in exsistance you will require an official letter from the Classic Car owner Club for the same model.

The Classic Car Club in NC will apply on your behalf to antique department confirming it is a classic car. Yo will then need to apply to Ministry of Trade & Commerce for an import licence.

Then the car can be shipped to a TRNC port.

You will be charged custom for the price of the car on its year of manufacture.

ie Austin Seven 1928 was £145 new, container cost from UK approx £1000 and cost of clearance approx 600 YTL. After tax cost will be approx £800.

For more info ............

Amber

Message Posted:
06/02/2009 14:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

For more info Contact Mr Salih Celiker - Chairman of main Classic Car Owners Club in TRNC Mobile No 0533 862 3578.

This man is very helpful. He is the owner of The Rally Centre for car accessories in Lefkosa, near to the main bus terminal.

Hatty

Message Posted:
06/02/2009 14:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Thank you, most useful

joandjelly

Message Posted:
06/02/2009 18:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Hatty I would recommend you go and see Tamer Konat who can arrange the import licence for you. He did all our paperwork for us and told us where to go and what to do. His contact details are on the Classic Car Club website and he has a garage called Tamcar on the main road heading from Lefkosa to Girne on the left hand side just before the roundbout.

We gave customs a letter confirming the cost of the car when new and this had been stamped and authorised by both the Classic Car Club and the Ticaret Dairesi but when they calculated the YTL value they used an exchange rate of 3ytl to the £ which was far higher than the actual rate on the day. So be prepared to still pay more than you think it will be.

We paid £1000 to ship the car in a container from Felixstowe to Famagusta and about £200 for customs clearance. You will then also have the cost of registering the vehicle and road tax which cost about 1500ytl in total.

Finally, import tax has to be paid in TL, cash or local cheque onl

Hatty

Message Posted:
06/02/2009 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

We are thinking of taking 3 - 4 weeks and driving the car down through Italy, Greece, Turkey etc.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.