North Cyprus Tourist Board - Work permit needed if we freelance?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Work permit needed if we freelance?

Work permit needed if we freelance?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Residence Permits

» Read about Work Permits

croft

Message Posted:
10/02/2009 08:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Hi,

This is our first post on the Cyprus44 forums, so apologies if this has been asked before. We'd really like to move to Northern Cyprus soon but we're not sure if we'd need work permits in order to carry on our line of business.

My wife and I both work as freelancers to publishing houses in the UK and the Netherlands. So we get paid in GBP or euro. We're hoping to continue that but we're not sure what the position would be in Northern Cyprus.

Having read advice on other posts here, one thing we've understood is that this is not an issue to be taken lightly!

Cheers,

Simon

nostradamus

Message Posted:
10/02/2009 09:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

As your income would be derived from sources outside the TRNC, I cannot see that there would be any problem with work permit issues here. You would not need them. It would be best if you continued to bank your earnings in UK as presumably you do now rather than banking these in a local account here.

kibsolar

Message Posted:
10/02/2009 09:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

as far as i know you dont need to have a work permit.

but you ought to have a permit, a visitors permit.

for that you have to have a home and an adress in the TRNC, and a regular, proven income from abroad which has to to shown, fe bank transfers..

best thing is, come here and sort everyting out.

but to start work in the TRNC with a visitors permit is worse than having no permit, if this makes a difference.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
10/02/2009 10:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

..or you could form a Ltd Company in the "rump" RoC, and pay Nat insurance and tax in the RoC...cheaper than the UK.. RoC debit /credit cards work in the "north" and TR and can be used to draw TR Lira !

The problem will be your status.. You have to show how you can support yourself...

It would be great if someone could tell us how TCs do it.. if they work in the "rump" RoC how do they handle their taxes and national insurance? Surly they don't pay TWICE...

I've asked before, but never had an answer...

fire starter

Message Posted:
10/02/2009 12:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

i think lots of them work cash!

i do know someone who works for a supermarket so next time i see him i will ask!

lots of people employed in the roc, work on a self employed basis, so one boss was telling us.

it sounds like a better deal than self employment in the uk.

mmmmm, can you recommend a good bank in the roc, who will give us a bank account with an address in the north?

Hatty

Message Posted:
10/02/2009 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

Is it possible for a RoC based company to carry out trade in the North?

croft

Message Posted:
10/02/2009 14:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Thanks for the input. guys.

mmmmmm, we'd thought about setting up a ltd co, as we have in the UK but the idea of setting up one in RoC is new to us. We're assuming there must be advantages over setting one up in TRNC. We'd be grateful for more on that.

fire starter

Message Posted:
11/02/2009 11:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

croft

i don't know about the south regarding a ltd company.

i do know the earnings limits are higher for self employment than in the uk.

why not use your uk company to fund a bank account here, hence you are paid in funds from the uk.

my son is coming up 18 and will need to do his residency soon.

he has an online business based in the usa/ cyberspace and paid into the uk, so i'm sure we will be finding out soon, the trnc approach regarding this.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
11/02/2009 11:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Re Firestarter msg 5 / Croft ( as in Scottish dwelling?!!) msg 7

Re the Bank - When I opened loads of accounts on May 1 2004 - I wanted to see if the banks were geared up for EU citizens being allowed the same accounts as the locals ;) .... All I needed was proof of ID and and I gave my local "rump" RoC addy and a PO Box number..

So.. I think you should get a RoC PO box and a prepay sim card, and find a friend to allow them to be your local address... Banks will send correspondence to the PO box.

IF you have a legit title address in the "north" and GC land reg deds - then LEGALLY I can't see how they wouldn't open an account.

Which bank.? They are all the same, really ... The Hellenic has the best internet banking ( mostly ex Barclays staff) LAIKI / Popular Bank or the Bank of Cyprus.. the latter two have the most branches- followed by Hellenic..

French bank Societie-Generale in Nicosia

Ltd co in "rump RoC?.. pm me, and I'll give you some ideas/price

caulkhead

Message Posted:
11/02/2009 11:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

mmmmm - please can you tell me if why I might need GC land registry deeds (?) to prove the legitimacy of a pre 74 British title address in the North?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
11/02/2009 11:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Dear Caulkhead.. re msg 10

Only to "help" if dealing with a GC who might be "brainwashed" that ANYONE in the north is a "property thief" ..!

caulkhead

Message Posted:
11/02/2009 12:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

mmmmmmm - thanks. Do you know if anyone has tried registering North Kocans in the South and what it costs, even if it is a bit 'belt and braces'? (Maybe going off thread a bit.)

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
11/02/2009 13:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Caulkhead re msg 12 No probs..

I'm confused about the "north Kochans" .. Sorry to seem "dense ..

If you have pre 74 Foreign title - presumably the property is listed with the RoC land Registry, any way?

Are you saying you wish to prove you are now the owner of said property and it might be still registered as being owned by someone else?

You can reply by pm if you perfer.

croft

Message Posted:
11/02/2009 16:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Thanks for all the input. I think I need to talk to our accountant in the UK next.

Suffice to say, I have a shed load of other questions but it probably makes more sense to start another thread 'as-and-when'.

Msg 9: 'Croft as in Scottish dwelling'? Well, I suppose so, but that's not why ;-}

caulkhead

Message Posted:
11/02/2009 18:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

mmmmm - I have my own kocan and copies of the other two kocans going back to pre 74. However the 1973 Kocan, issued by the Land and Surveys Department, says it is registered at the Kyrenia office. The subsequent two kocans are also issued in Girne. Therefore I am assuming they are unlikely to be on records held in the South.

goldfish123

Message Posted:
11/02/2009 20:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

we are out to trnc at easter withsome relatives who are really keen on thai food.has anyone been to bo~thai ?is it good?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
11/02/2009 20:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Caulkhead re msg 15

The one you have that is issued in 1973, that would / should be registered in the "Kyrenia" land Reg office in "south" Nicosia.

If you were the owner then you have a right to check the records are correct.. if it was a relative who passed them on then I guess things get more "complicated".... like do you REALLY need to worry about some sort of Capital gains tax liability?!

fire starter

Message Posted:
12/02/2009 11:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

we asked this question at the roc lands office.

we were told no. as it is registered in the north.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.