North Cyprus Tourist Board - Turk Bankasi charges on Deposit account
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Turk Bankasi charges on Deposit account

Turk Bankasi charges on Deposit account

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Banks Related Threads posted so far

» See North Cyprus Interest Rates

ustwo

Message Posted:
14/02/2009 16:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

I opened a deposit account 4 years ago with Turk Bankasi just to cash a cheque so that I could open a Lira account as advised by the Bank .I didn't bother to close the account and left £20 in it .Last week I went to the bank when I asked for a balance on my accounts ,I only had £3.83 in my deposit account, I thought earned 1.5% interest, not the case now they charge if you don't use the account ,from 29th August and a total of £16.03 has been taken from my account without my knowledge.I tackled the Manager no joy there usual shrug ,needless to say all accounts closed and I'm moving on, I am ashamed to say I know when I'm beaten and you cannot get past a shrug .Just thought I would let you know in case anyone else has such and account.P.S.I asked for a code of pratice and was told there isn't one.

Lilli

Message Posted:
14/02/2009 16:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

they take it off you anyway they can. even charge for cheque books. would you really think they would know a code of practice when they make up the rules as they go along. good for you for moving its what they need.

Rogerdoger

Message Posted:
14/02/2009 17:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

ustwo,

Thanks for the info, we are out next week and will speak with our branch about this

RD

eager

Message Posted:
14/02/2009 23:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

ustwo, .... Could you expand on this please, was thinking about opening an account with them with a decent amount and just letting the interest roll over.

Will they take money from this account if i don't use it ? If so when and how much ? Also is this the same with other banks.

scruff

Message Posted:
15/02/2009 00:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Are you certain it was a deposit account & not a current account that was opened? Which branch of Turk Bank did you use?

No charges are made for a time deposit account. Turkbank do & have always made a small quarterly charge for a sterling current account with a cheque book.

I also have a lira current account (no cheque book) where no charges are levied but I do earn a small amount of interest.

This is the TRNC I'm afraid. Even in the UK. now, the days of "free" banking without strings are over.

scotsguy

Message Posted:
15/02/2009 09:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Surely, you don't expect a bank to give you free banking for holding 20 quid, for 4 years and also expect interest. Its not worth the paperwork for them. Most banks only offer free-banking if you deposit and maintain a certain balance. Good luck in finding another bank with free banking for your 3.83

negativenick

Message Posted:
15/02/2009 09:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

no doubt Turk Bank rep will be along soon telling you they've been going since 1438 and their owner is the richest in the world etc etc....

In my book it's all about good old fashioned service, where the customer is always right...

Tyr Creditwest in either Cattlekoy or Karangalooaloo - they pay good interest rates and nothing is too much trouble...

Nick

clarets

Message Posted:
15/02/2009 10:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Nick,we are singing from the same songsheet.Creditwest are very consumer friendly.I have recently transferred funds from Turk Bank to them!

RedRooster

Message Posted:
15/02/2009 11:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

We also transferred our money from Turkbak to Universal because they kept dropping our interest rate on quite a substantial sum of money without telling us. Best thing we ever did. The service with Universal is brilliant

ustwo

Message Posted:
15/02/2009 17:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

The Manager said it was a deposit account and my book says it has 1.5% interest.No interest was ever paid and they only started charging me in August. It was only a bit of luck that they gave me this balance along with my others that I noticed that they had charged me ,I only wonder had I not known would I have eventually owed them money for having this account open.I really wouldn't know about any other accounts,I think we all have to keep our eye on the ball and ask for statements regularly so we know where we stand at any given time ,just in case they change the rules again again and again!!! Sue

maddy

Message Posted:
15/02/2009 17:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

I would also recommend Credit West Bank, nothing is too much trouble and so easy to transfer monies online.

Regards

Maddy

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.