North Cyprus Tourist Board - Greece poking their nose in?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Greece poking their nose in?

Greece poking their nose in?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
22/02/2009 21:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

Why am I not surprised.

Greek PM to visit Nicosia to discuss direct talks on Cyprus issue.

22 February 2009 | 16:39 | FOCUS News Agency

Nicosia. Greece’s Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis is to visit Cyprus at the end of April, the Cypriot Phileleftheros daily writes.

He will meet President of the Republic of Cyprus Dimitris Christofias to make an analysis of the direct talks with the leader of Turkish Cypriots Mehmet Ali Talat, as well as to discuss the perspectives to solve the Cyprus issue.

They will assess the new political arena in Northern Cyprus after the parliamentary elections there on April 19th.

Karamanlis will meet the leaders of the political parties in the Republic of Cyprus.

dodger

Message Posted:
22/02/2009 21:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

Jack,

Sounds like there ganging up on Talat,

Paul.

juliet

Message Posted:
22/02/2009 21:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

AJ

Why do you say Greece is poking there nose in? Mr K is meeting with Mr C & Mr T, unlike the top knobs in Turkey who only ever visit Mr T on the north to issue there orders...

dodger

Message Posted:
22/02/2009 21:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

Juliet,

Maybe they are meeting to issue their orders,

Regards,

Paul.

Turtle

Message Posted:
22/02/2009 21:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

I think we must all agree that Turkey & Greece are pulling the strings here, but Im sure someone quite soon will put me right.

Macha

Message Posted:
22/02/2009 21:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

Paul,

Greece and Turkey are buddies now, more or less, and Athens wants to knock heads together and clear the whole mess up, which has bearings on its own geopolitics. Bear in mind also that Greece is a guarantor country of Cyprus and along with Turkey and the UK has troops there, albeit a token force.

Hector

Message Posted:
22/02/2009 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

I think that Cyprus is a thorn in the side of both Turkey & Greece. I can't help wondering just how much the current financial crisis for both countries is concentrating the minds of their respective governments?

rowlo

Message Posted:
22/02/2009 22:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

me thinks eu needs turkey, more than greece????

dodger

Message Posted:
22/02/2009 22:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

I have said it before and here i go i am saying it again.Its time to move on, not forget the past but stop dwelling on it.Both sides have commited atrocities over the years but thats history.How many people have the brits murdered over the years but it doesnt stop us trading with the likes of Japan Germany and many other countries.Its 2009 for god sake lets start cracikng heads together and wise up.Lift the embargoes on the north,now wouldnt that be a positive way to kick start the process,

Paul.

Bradus

Message Posted:
22/02/2009 22:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

Well said Paul,

One may not forget the past but its time to learn how to live with it and move on. I am not optimistic about a settlement because of the inability to compromise on both sides but I am still hoping for one. I'd be happy for some issues to be sorted so that we are seeing movement in the right direction and the others to be revisited at a later date. Continual dialogue has to be the way forward.

dodger

Message Posted:
22/02/2009 23:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

Hi Sue,

Hope you are well.I am with you on the settlement cant see it happening as the south have to much to lose and the north hav no bargaining power.But i do honestly believe that come the summer we will know one way or the other what the future holds.You will have to trust me on that one.Remember where you heard it first,

Regards,

Paul.

redtom

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 00:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

Greece and Turkey are buddies now, more or less, and Athens wants to knock heads together and clear the whole mess up, which has bearings on its own geopolitics. Bear in mind also that Greece is a guarantor country of Cyprus and along with Turkey and the UK has troops there, albeit a token force. Turkey and Greece are buddies now, more or less, and Ankarka wants to knock heads together and clear the whole mess up" which has bearings on its own Geopolitics. Please bear in mind that Turkey is a guarantor country of Cyprus and along with greece and UK has troops there, albeit a token force. Theres only one winner!

andre 514

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 00:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

yes as macha said, britain, greece, and turkey were guarantors,

but only of the unworkable 1960 power-sharing agreement

it was turkey that chose to take their guarantor-ship at all seriously

while downer of the un recently said he cannot understand why britain did nothing whatever about the '74 samson coup: if britain had carried out its obligations we wouldn't be where we are now, dissipating our energies

(I regret having had to tone down my original and rather crude phraseology),

over a re-uni deal that will never happen

andre

elko2

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 00:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

I do not expect an agreement at all and at the end of the day it will be an official divorce but we are not there yet, may be about 10-20 years away. However if there is a settlement ( which will not last long) it will be something worse thatn annan as far as the Greek Cypriots are concerned. When the chips are down, Turkey always dictates their position and don't be mistaken for their APPARENT desire to join EU.

spider

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 00:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

britan did.o nothing except take back all who wanted to go with them,that was their only role as we all know,and to keep the Basees on the south..they did and thats how it remans..often ask how on earth do any of them think the giving back of land CAN WORK.it might have if us brits and our new homes had never have come,but we did and the whole thing will never get resolved whoever talks....that my views on it,,, entitled to them too...

andre 514

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 00:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

ismet made a perceptive comment about turkey's application to join the eu:

the turkish government know very well they are being obstructed and indeed

there are serious real disagreements between turkey and the european union,

as well as the red herrings from states like france, austria and you-know-who

perhaps the government of turkey simply wants to be seen by its electorate

as open to the west, and open for business and still kemalist, as it were...

there is also the association agreement with the eu, twenty years old and going from strength to strength with ever-expanding trade between the two

andre

fire starter

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 08:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

andre

please, when things go wrong both the gc's and tc's blame the british.

this is unfair.

the' it wasn't me attitude'

its about time both sides face up to the reality that it is they who caused this situation and continue to do so.

lets hope its not to late for a solution, which would benefit all cypriots in the long run.

lets face it, its now 2009, things need to move on.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 08:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

Dear Elko2, re msg 14 ( Scarlett Pimpernel!)

Hi there from "Mad Mark".. ;)

THANK YOU, for pointing out the position re Turkey as who influences a TC leader re the direction of talks!..

Not sure I *quite* agree re Annan, though... I think that the GCs will gain less of a proportion of the island, but more "ownership" rights... but that they will take the form of VERY long leases. but the existing occupants will not pay anything - the land on which the property if built on - if still owned by a TC / GC will just be leasehold rather than "freehold" .

In this way the GCs cannot "flood" back - not that I think they would.. but the "principle" of retention of ownership remains.. Of course this should work for dispossessed TCs, too.

Whether it all "works" does depend on TR's seriousness re wishing to accede EU, for sure, but the property issue will STILL remain - esp. if GCs wise up to the fact that Turkey's IPC is actually a chance to test TRs intent.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 08:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

re msg 1, AJ

Dave, I can only imagine you posted this for a "bet" - to liven things up ;) !

I think you'll find TR is far more "involved" on a day to day basis:

1/ Govt. ( ECHR - and of course the Scarlett Pimpernel - back this up)

2/ Financially

3/ Militarily

Greece got the RoC in the EU and are far busier pushing to get TR in the EU, to but a buffer between them and the illegal immigrants from the east !

The Greeks leadership - if you remember - were pro Annan - much to the chagrin to "Liealotopoulos" - and the Greek PM and the TR leader have formed a good personal relationship.

You MIGHT find - if he IS - "sticking his nose in" - that it is not what a GC would want to hear....!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 08:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

re msg 13, Andre

Can you point me to the source of Downer's comment -re Britain's non intervention in 74- I'd like to read it in context...

Think you know that the UK did not to stop the Turkish, as the Americans had asked them NOT to stop any TR "intervention" having agreed a plan with TR about how much of North Cyprus they could take..

Kissinger / CIA had even encouraged the Greek Junta - as he saw this as a way to secure Cyprus and TR as bases for Military operations - and to get rid of the "Commie in a Cassock" - Makarios...

Tiggy

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

Ismet,

You are most respected by the forum users and I agree with your thoughts.

Pity someone like you was not able to sit down at the table of alleged peace talks and do some straight talking.

spider

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

so right mmmmmm,and thats how it will contnue..sit back and see how Obarma turns out,Guenuine we think !! has a lot to change.so fingers crossed.and wait,

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.