North Cyprus Tourist Board - moving to cyprus with dog
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > moving to cyprus with dog

moving to cyprus with dog

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

catrina

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 15:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 30 in Discussion

hi all

have just joined the site and wonder if anyone could help me out with a little information. we are moving to north cyprus in august and will be bringing our west highland terrier with us. we have read previous posts on the subject but they are reasonably old posts, just wondering if there have been any updates on rules/regulations. it seems our best bet is to fly with cyprus turkish airlines and then we can fly abbie out as excess baggage, are we correct in assuming this.

any further info would be greatly appreciated (costs etc)

flightholiday

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 16:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 30 in Discussion

Travel kennel vacinations etc. etc.

We use a professional animal carriage company for pets (at rates that I understand are very competivtive) so if you want to contact us with details [what you have already done size weight etc]. We can pass the enquiry to them and they can assist in all parts of the move for you.

Tom

info@flightholiday.co.uk

Elliecy

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 17:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 30 in Discussion

Hi Catrina, try Animal Airlines:

enquiries@animalairlines.co.uk or 01625 827414. They handled my dogs for me and were really good. Unfortunately there is more to it than just booking them as excess baggage, so probably best to talk to someone first. Of all the quotes I got, they were the most reasonable and also dealt with all of the UK airports (I know some would only route via Heathrow etc). Hope it helps and good luck.

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 18:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 30 in Discussion

Hi Catrina,

I used Airpets to bring my 5 cats out and they were brilliant. But a word of caution. You are bringing your dog out in the hottest month of the year,when it will be 40+ degrees , and the quarantine has no air-conditioning so it will, very, very hot, smelly and probably if the animals are unhappy. then noisy. What with the strain of the travelling, and being away from you in strange surroundings, it is really the worst time to bring Abbie. You do know that you have to go to Lefkosia each day to look after Abbie, to feed her, clean out her pen and walk her, so for dogs that is normally twice a day. Is there a way that a friend of relative could send out Abbie in October, when it has started to cool down a little bit.

I don't mean to sound negative, but that's the way quarantine here is. My cats got through it with no problem, but that was in March.

Stella

catrina

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 19:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 30 in Discussion

thanks for the advice everyone, good point stella with regards to temeratures, we have considered the downside of moving at the hottest time of year and you make a good point about leaving abbie with friends till october, it would be kinder to abbie and its something we will have to think about some more

decanddyl

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 19:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 30 in Discussion

Do not forget to get hold of an import licence from the Veterinary Services in LEFKOSIA their contact number is 03922253751 and ask for Mr Mehmet who is very helpful. Animal airways are very good, the one we used is based near Manceshter. Also contact your local DEFRA regarding export licence.

Bootz

Message Posted:
23/02/2009 22:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 30 in Discussion

Hiya,

Could anyone please give an idea of price and quarentine times for a large 2 year old dog to come here from the UK?

Thanks

fire starter

Message Posted:
24/02/2009 08:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 30 in Discussion

what type of dog is it bootz?

you may have problems with the airlines as they have a maximum hight restriction.

our giant schnauzer was the top of the limit, she only just made it.

quarentine is up to 21 days, you may do less at busy times, when they will allow you to take the dog home but it will not be allowed out until 21 days are up.

prices are in turkish lira and are usually minimal, sorry i don't know current rates.

when your dog arrives there is also an unloading fee at this end, again minimal paid in turkish lira.

check out the defra website this should give you all the current info, and you will need a import certificate from this end as well.

for anyone bringing their dog give pine farm kennels a try.

you need to speak to dave on 01842-860432.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
24/02/2009 11:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 30 in Discussion

Hi Firestarter - Yes there is a restriction due to hold entrance height and that can vary a little with regard to different aircraft on the same route.

There are only a limited number of aircraft with the correct hold conditions. One reason to use a "professional service" is that the aircraft on any one route can be changed without much notice so sometimes your pet needs to be kept in the UK for another flight which means extra kennel fees etc. can raise their ugly head too.

Hippo

Message Posted:
24/02/2009 12:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 30 in Discussion

Hippo moved to cyprus with the wife

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
24/02/2009 12:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 30 in Discussion

why bring a dog here, they get poisoned and there are plenty of unwanted dogs looking for homes already..

aripointer

Message Posted:
24/02/2009 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 30 in Discussion

Speak with Kyrenia Annimal Rescue (KAR). kar@kyreniaanimalrescue.org

They will have all the information you require. When you do fly out I would use Turkish Airlines very good service and ground staff very caring to the pet.

Some advice. Do travel with your pet. On boarding the plane tell the flight crew you have a pet in the hold. Ask them to inform the flight deck. It has been known for pets to be put in the wrong hold?

AP

fire starter

Message Posted:
24/02/2009 13:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 30 in Discussion

dee

i can see your point but how could you leave your beloved dog behind?

we flew with cta, we had a delay, they made sure our dogs had extra water and that they were ok.

so no problems with cta!

go to the defra website they are the only people with the up to date information, and they are the people who have to issue you an export certificate.

catrina

Message Posted:
24/02/2009 14:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 30 in Discussion

i hear what your saying dee

but im sure there are plenty of children in north cyprus but i would still like to bring my own

catrina

Message Posted:
24/02/2009 15:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 30 in Discussion

hi firestarter, i saw your dit on the earlier post about maybe getting your pet quarratined at home instead of kennels for the 21 days, is this possible and how would we go about it?

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
24/02/2009 15:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 30 in Discussion

Firestarter I do understand ppl wanting to bring their dogs but this place isnt safe for them,,,I would have left my pet dog with a member of my family rather than bring it here... Incidentally I didnt have one when I came here, so maybe i am being a bit harsh .

fire starter

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 09:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 30 in Discussion

catrina

they will only allow home quarentine if they are busy, (with no room for incoming dogs) after you have done most of your stay there.

sorry there is no easy way!

dee

i think it is safe but you have to becarefull.

everyday before my dogs go out we do a garden check, to make sure nothing has been thrown or blown in.

i never take my dogs to the beach, but they do go into the mountians and love it.

had no problems with snakes as i gave my 2 uk dogs a little reality training in the uk with a plastic one!

the shar pei was actually bitten by a snake in the uk. luckily he was ok.

when i take dogs out in the village, i never let them off lead or allow them to sniff about. heads up all the way so to speak.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 09:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 30 in Discussion

Fs you are a responsible pet owner..and thank god for ppl like you but many are not..

booitsme

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 15:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 30 in Discussion

We used a company called airpets http://www.airpets.com and our lead person was Cheryl Sinclair. They were absolutely brillian and guide you through everything you need to know. WE brought our 2 dogs out in October last year and were worried as one is getting on a bit and has a heart condition. They stay at Heathrow in kennels and are checked by their vet every day until they board the plane - usually 2 days. They arrived safe and sound but did look odd coming around on the carousel with all the bags! They have feed and water bowls in their crates (specially made to size) and notices to keep the water topped up. Quarantine here is basic to say the least but as least you can visit your dog twice a day and get them out for a run and feeds. Take plenty of disinfectant and wipes to clean out the run and the'll be fine. Our 2 have settled in like old hands and LOVE their new life here. Keep us posted how you get on

Bootz

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 13:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 30 in Discussion

Thanks everyone for your help

FYI Dee - I already live here, this is for my daughter and her 'Rescue'dog' from the UK. So her family are here!

(Ones dog is part of their family).

My daughter has already been to KAR and will undoubtedly 'Rescue' more dogs here as well. She is a sensible pet owner, who loves her dog.

jenfarrall

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 20:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 30 in Discussion

Our Westie only had to do 4 days quarantine,but she is blind and diabetic so extenuating circumstances I guess.

Why did we bring her? She is part of the family,how could we not?

fire starter

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 09:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 30 in Discussion

jen

i have a friend whos dogs is undergoing tests for diabetes.

she will know the result today, any help or advice you could give them would be great.

i will email you tomorrow if thats ok when i here more from them and they have the results.

jenfarrall

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 19:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 30 in Discussion

Firestarter

Of course,any help we can give.Please reassure your friends,if results are positive,it is not the not of the world,Molly was diagnosed with type1 diabetes at 2 yrs,she is now 8,and an incredibly happy member of our family

fire starter

Message Posted:
28/02/2009 09:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 30 in Discussion

thanks for the offer jen

luckily their little dog is in the clear.

which is good news.

thanks again.

decanddyl

Message Posted:
28/02/2009 18:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 30 in Discussion

Hi Catrina, re import of your dog, you need to fax the following at least nfour weeks before your intended travel date; Rabies vaccination, blood test results, age,colour and sex of animal, a letter from the vet stating that the pet has lived with you. Other vaccination documentation. Three days before travel you neeed to fax flight details across so that a rep from the vets can be at the airport. There is a handling charge at this end to be paid before you leave the airport. By the way the cages come round on the luggage carousel. Fax number is 0090 392 225 3536.

Tinkie

Message Posted:
16/03/2009 20:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 30 in Discussion

Hi Catrina, sorry a bit late in responding. I brought my dog over from UK 5 years ago with CTA from Heathrow. They treated her very well, she came as excess baggage. I was fortunate to have my mum leave with her on the same flight a few days before I left UK and so I stayed with the dog right up until about 20 minutes before the flight, and then the handling guy came and took her away. Once the flight arrived in TRNC my mum waited for her to come through, she wasnt on the carousel, her box was too big and heavy to put on it. The airport notify someone at the Vet Dept and you have to then wait for them to arrive, they load the dog on to the back of their van and you follow them to the dept in Lefkosa where they put them in the pen, where they will remain for up to 3 weeks. You have to go there and feed them and clean out their pen yourself every day. It wasnt great but I think things have improved alot in 5 years. Good Luck.

Lilli

Message Posted:
16/03/2009 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 30 in Discussion

hi tinkie no its stil the same. the rules and regs have not changed you still go feed clean them and the cell out. Its not that bad if you are open minded. My staffi did 1o days and it took me 6 hours a day to see him and water walk him and any other poor soul that had nobody to feed. It didnt harm him at all . Yes the ve will collect them he was left from 2am ubtil 11am next day. Just go with plenty water fod and treats and let them know its temporary. good luck xxxxxxx

Tinkie

Message Posted:
17/03/2009 19:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 30 in Discussion

Lilli, youre right there, you have to be open minded...it wasnt awful but I was upset leaving her there every day. It seemed that if the owners didnt go to feed their pets and clean them out, then no-one did. We also gave food to a huge kangol who was there at the same time as mine, and his pen was full of poop, where his owners hadnt bothered coming to see him.

I had heard that things had got better, but a friend of mine brought a dog over a couple of years ago and the vet dep were not informed that he was at the airport and he was left in his container on the trolley for almost 24 hours with no water! Oops, dont let that put you off Catrina...my dog has been very happy here, she has coped well with the climate and apart from a nasty disease that she has contracted through a sandfly bite I think that her quality of life has been better here than it would have been in the cold and wet UK!

Good luck

x

negativenick

Message Posted:
17/03/2009 19:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 30 in Discussion

Moved out 4 years ago with two Rotties. Used Airpets who made the whole process painless. Would reccomend not arriving here in the summer as the quarantine kennels would be like the "black hole of Calcuta".

Don't try and do it your self, the stress will drive you up the wall.

Nick

Tinkie

Message Posted:
17/03/2009 22:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 30 in Discussion

Nick, I did it myself and it was fine and so much cheaper. The only problem I had was finding the right size container as the door height on CTA wasnt what was recommended by Defra...however I ended up taking my dog up to the airpets place near heathrow and they measured her and made a box especially for us. The whole excess baggage thing was fine, it meant we could keep her with us and was less stressful for her.

I agree about the black hole...we came in March and it was starting to get warm then, I would def do it later in the year if you can. My dog wouldnt drink if we werent there for some reason..stress I suppose... and as it was warm she would drink a whole bowl of water when we arrived to feed her and then wouldnt touch her water until we arrived the following day. Stress does odd things to them, so it being really hot as well would be a recipe for disaster!

x

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.