North Cyprus Tourist Board - Cars on British plates
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Cars on British plates

Cars on British plates

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Wiser

Message Posted:
24/02/2009 14:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 45 in Discussion

Customs is getting very hot! A lady that works with me has just had her car taken off her at work because it is still on English plates!

Hippo

Message Posted:
24/02/2009 14:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 45 in Discussion

Should have paid her tax, I had to

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
24/02/2009 14:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 45 in Discussion

Bloody good job.

What about the GC registered plates?

What about the ZT's?

I paid mine too Mr. Hippo. (Good luck tomorrow at 10:00, Stu hits a very straight ball, straight right...straight left...and sometimes straight straight).

I'm going for a little lie down now.

Hippo

Message Posted:
24/02/2009 15:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 45 in Discussion

Sometimes its better to be the underdog!!

spangles

Message Posted:
24/02/2009 18:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 45 in Discussion

Today's Cyprus Mail says that the Police in the South are also having a crackdown on foreign registered cars. They started warning people to register their cars yesterday and the purge will last until March 8th. It did not say what happens after that date.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 10:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 45 in Discussion

There is a little bit of holier than thou here, I feel, with people who proudly state that they paid their car tax and therefore why shouldn't others, no sympathy, etc, etc. Similarly, there is disapproval of those who work without work permits, don't pay tax etc.

Many people here in TRNC (no names, no pack drill) have bought a very nice little villa and are enjoying a nice (early?) retirement, some or all of which is being paid for by money which, by rights, should have gone to the UK VAT man, tax man, etc. I'm sure we all employed people in the UK, from time to time, who we were happy to pay cash to. Many here are proud to say they pay their way here. How many can put their hand on their heart and say they paid their full way in the UK?

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 10:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 45 in Discussion

TRNCVaughan take a bow ....you are a true star. and you have my respect..

david

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 12:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 45 in Discussion

TRNCVaughan Bravo

flightholiday

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 13:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 45 in Discussion

Yes Vaughan,

I have been asked for cash discounts on holidays where the profit margins are slim often 5 to 10% the comment was well you have a good profit and if we give you cash you will not need to put it through the books.

Everyone will hold out on payments of taxes and similar dues as long as they can but it seems unwise to take it up to or past the last minute as evidently some have recently learnt.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 13:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 45 in Discussion

I paid my full way in the UK and am retired here now due to bloody hard work and a bit of luck with the property market both here and there. I have imported a classic car here and paid the tax in full. Am I supposed to apologise to all the tight wads who either couldn't or wouldn't pay their dues?? I don't think so.

Hector

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 13:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 45 in Discussion

Unjust taxes lead to resentment and less revenue being raised. The NC way seems to be 'the Brits can afford it and will pay up' and the locals ignoring it.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 13:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 45 in Discussion

Hi joandjelly,

You are the exception that proves the rule and we take our hats off to you. However, my feeling is that you are much in the minority.

spangles

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 13:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 45 in Discussion

I would imagine there are more PAYE people here than ex self employed. We didn't have any flipping option but to pay (and keep paying).

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 13:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 45 in Discussion

PAYE or self employed, I'm sure most of us were happy to "pay cash" in the UK at one time or another.

Dodging taxes is dodging taxes - big time or small beer, at home or abroad.

Elliecy

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 13:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 45 in Discussion

I agree with TRNCVaughan. I know of a retired couple here who have been so ripped off by their builder etc, plus numerous other problems (including illness) that they simply cannot afford to pay the tax at the moment. I suspect they like many others will end up having to go home, having lost pretty much everything they too worked for. It doesnt necessarily excuse things, but there are always 2 sides to a story, but as usual, there are always those holier than thou. I also notice how many Brits seem to revel in the misfortunes of others. Its sad really.

chello

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 14:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 45 in Discussion

I think the main problem is communication. We had our GC registered car taken away by Customs and had to pay a fine and is not able to enter the North again. I had many times passed the Metehan, from North to South and back and nobody ever told us, pls. go to police pay this and this and get registration whatever. No, one day they come and took the car. This is unacceptable behaviour for me !

joandjelly

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 15:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 45 in Discussion

Why is it that when someone chooses to operate within the law of the country in which they live they are deemed to be holier than thou? I suppose all those advocating dodging taxes etc were more than happy to see their tax monies squandered on economic migrants in the UK.

There are always two sides to the story and I do feel sorry for people who cannot afford to pay because they have been ripped off by their builder but unfortunately there are also a lot of people here who do it simply because they can and it is about time they got a reality check.

spider

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 15:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 45 in Discussion

lived all my life in UK.paid into all,and like most worked hard,when it was my time to claim,after a opp..was given £6.50 a week.!! and told i could claim a DHSS LOAN..to be paid back...Laugh...it was not that funny when i needed some bread,let alone TEA...

so i for one will never go back. till am very,very old then will ask for a FLAT....

will i get THAT.....

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 15:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 45 in Discussion

Hi joandjelly,

You misunderstand me. I am not referring to people who pay their taxes as being holier than thou. The "holier than thou" attitude I was referring to was that of those who proclaim to be upstanding tax/duty payers here in TRNC who may have been a little bit less forthcoming with the tax men in the UK. We have nearly all paid cash for things in the UK and this is tax evasion too, like it or not.

I'm sorry to say your second sentence doesn't make any sense to me...if they were dodging paying their taxes how could they be squandered?

joandjelly

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 15:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 45 in Discussion

I'm talking about the people who are happy to dodge paying taxes here but moan about the UK tax payer funding economic migrants in the UK.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 15:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 45 in Discussion

How some come out of the woodwork to claim they have never dodged a tax..yeah right... I have found since being here that some of you are only happy when reading of another's misfortune.... what a sad bunch..ppl will always try to dodge the taxman it is called human nature so cut the pious crap.

ROBnJO

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 16:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 45 in Discussion

Surely it is all about:

Tax Evasion: Illegal

Tax Avoidance: Legal

Me? I'm a Tax Avoidance sort of guy!

Rob

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 45 in Discussion

Nice one Rob...

Lazy days

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 18:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 45 in Discussion

Vaughan,

Seems to me you are saying that most expats out here are on the (violin) so to speak and you are suggesting we bought our apartments/villas with black money, well i for 1 can say no way we worked damned hard for our little bit of heaven out here and we payed our dues, perhaps you didn't but dont tar everyone with the same brush, i'm glad you are SURE we ALL employed (mess 7)people from time to time to do work for us in UK who we were happy to pay cash to, bad statement to be so sure, yes we did but always demanded an official receipt before paying CASH, unlike here where we asked for an official Fatura from our pool people, only to be told 'dont be silly, we dont give faturas' know what i mean ??

giggler

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 19:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 45 in Discussion

trncvaughan,

what a great guy you are. I for one am sick to death of the hypocritical expats that are so holier then thou. Can they say honestly hands on hearts that they never did anything untoward.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 23:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 45 in Discussion

I am sure we have all "bent the rules" and taken part in the black economy.

However who in their right mind brings a car to TRNC knowing what the tax situation is and tries to evade it. You cannot because of reg number on vehicle.

To me this is breaking the rules not "bending" them and if you get caught do not whinge and expect sympathy from the majority of foreigners here.

Bend the rules and escape, you are lucky. Break the rules and you get what you deserve.

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 23:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 45 in Discussion

Vaughan.

I understand you run a business here and by the tone of your post, I take it that you are "as legal as poss".

What is your personal view, (as a businessman) on those businesses and individuals that do not pay what you pay? (In relation to taxes, permits, etc).

I ask this because if Joe Bloggs were to set up a rival business (but without the legitimacy) to yours and gave an equal service, etc. One could assume that if his charges were the same as yours, he would make larger profits, or less losses, and if he undercharged you, as he was not paying taxes, permits, etc, he may get more work than you, possibly leading to your downfall.

rowlo

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 00:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 45 in Discussion

msg 7 i payed 70k in tax last year , how much did you pay ?? ive worked my balxs off since i was 14 never asked anyone for a penny paid my own pension ,thats worthless now , but hey i just get on with it ,who died and made you god ????????????????????

pilgrim

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 00:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 45 in Discussion

Rowlo, 70k in tax , would have liked your pay packet!

cheers

p

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 10:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 45 in Discussion

Hi Lazy days,

I am not suggesting for a moment that you didn't work hard for your little bit of heaven, and I'm sure you deserve every bit of it, but I am suggesting that MANY of us were happy to bend the rules and be part of the "black" economy in the UK, even if it was only paying the window cleaner in cash.

Hi pinkchilli,

As a legitimate company Octopus Pools is in direct competition with similar companies with similar costs and overheads. There are people that we are aware of who do clean pools using their own vehicles and work "from home" who don't have those costs. This puts us at a disadvantage but there is nothing new in this situation - it exists in the UK. However, the biggest part of our business is pool repairs and construction and here these people don't compete as they lack the skills and resources.

Hi Rowlo,

I'm with Pilgrim on this one, but I'd have a word with your accountant if I was you.

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 10:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 45 in Discussion

Hi TRNCVaughan.

Thanks for your reply, message 31.

If I may, please let me ask you another question. This relates to pool cleaning and not your other services.

If these other pool cleaners continue to put you at a disadvantage, it's feasible that they could take business away from you. Eventually your employees, or at least some, could be forced out of a job. How does this make you feel?

You can probably guess at where I'm going with this. most individuals/businesses try and "get away" with what they can. It's human nature. Getting away with taxes is impersonal, it's appears not to be to the detriment of your friend, neighbour, local shopkeeper, etc.

IMHO, the problem is when someone is "SEEN" to be getting away with it. Seeing a vehicle with the "Wrong Plates" is akin to having your nosed rubbed in it. (Obviously, many vehicles with the "Wrong Plates" are here legitimately).

Regards PC.

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 10:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 45 in Discussion

I've thought about my previous post (Mssage 32) and have cloncluded that in all honesty I'm probably just envious of those who are able to get away with what I have been unable to get away with.

If I could have got away with it, I would have. All £9,000 of it!

Beers all round!

LOL

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 45 in Discussion

Hi pinkchilli,

Pool cleaning is a very competitive business. The competition from "unofficial" pool cleaners very rarely effects us as many of them start up being cheaper than us because they have no overheads, using their own vehicle and only paying themselves. As soon as they have too many pools to do by themselves they have to take on "staff" and at this point they need another vehicle, admin etc. i.e. overheads. Very soon they become not much cheaper than the likes of us and this, combined with the fact that some cut corners to save money to stay cheap, start to lose customers. We also lose customers from time to time for various reasons, as do our real competitors, and this tends to lead to a circulation of customers going from one firm to another without any real increase or decrease in numbers.

Bottom line is these "unofficial" firms are not really seen as a threat to our workers livelyhoods, thankfully.

spider

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 12:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 45 in Discussion

TRNCVaughan......I know someone who worked for you,for Quite a while. when him and his co-worker came for their pay..you told him to.F.OFF,short of Cash they were told.Is that the way to treat your STAFF,after you advertised the job and took him on.2months it went on in the end.and i belive he was driving you Vans too would that have been his own petrol.......

Come mate be HONEST.dont think you can..good day..SPIDER.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 12:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 45 in Discussion

Hi Spider,

I don't deal with staff, I don't deal with wages and I certainly never told anyone to F.OFF, but I might make an exception with you.

If anyone is owed any wages by our company I advise them to contact Billy on 0533 865 8314, who is our managing director, or make an appointment to come in and see him at our Girne office.

Stubs

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 13:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 45 in Discussion

Vaughan

Tax evasion is a huge problem out there. The biggest issue is that to make up for the lost revenue the government increase taxes to those who do pay to make up for those who don't.

It is very much a cultural things, although the constant changing in rules coupled with the mis-information means that the right hand doesnt know what the left hand is doing.

My neighbour was forever complaining about the power cuts, lack of infrastructure etc. After a while I pointed out to him that it was people like him who contributed to this. After all he had his car there on UK plates for 3 years without paying the duties and taxes ( he claimed it was too expensive), he got moonlighters to do his taxi to Larnaca, any work he got done was done cash in hand etc etc. Furthermore I pointed out that his car was here illegal and that if he was involved in an accident he would not be illegal as he had no MOT. Did it stop him driving around his family and grandkids? Of course not.

Stubs

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 13:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 45 in Discussion

Furthermore if someone has imported a car and not paid the appropriate duties and fees then surely they can't complain about it being impounded and being fined.

What I can't understand is why not just pay the duties when the cars first come in that way it is done and dusted. Why wait until the temporary licence is expired? Just do it right away.

Secondly as the government is obviously skint why dont they give everyone there PTP and collect the tax money owed from everyones property. That in itself is worth tens of millions of £££'s

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 13:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 45 in Discussion

Hi Stubs,

There are many things about TRNC taxation that people find confusing and frustrating.

If the gov made it easier for foreign workers to get work permits, they would probably get them and contribute.

If the gov made it clear just what vehicles could or couldn't be imported and exactly how much tax was due people would be better informed about whether to bring a vehicle in or not.

People are also not encouraged when they see that tax money involved in PTP and other property issues, to the tune of millions, are not pursued instead of easier options aimed at what may be seen as soft targets.

The fact that the un-productive, ever growing, ever hungry civil service here needs paying, consuming most of the taxes collected, also does not encourage people to pay their taxes. It is this last issue which is stopping improvements being made to infrastucture, etc., not the inability to collect tax - it's the inability to spend it on anything but the civil service.

Stubs

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 45 in Discussion

Vaughan

You have made some very valid points there.

If it was easier for foreigners to set up a business then there would be more tax going into the system many are forced under ground. Brits also as for an English speaking plumber, electrician etc which means that many do "homers" and this money is of course tax free. It is a bit of a vicious circle.

When we opened our business the government changed the rules with regards taxation. It forced us to relocate our main business as it was uneconomical to continue. I tried to explain to the relevent minister with my accountant, even my accountant tried to tell him but although he had sympathy for our case there was nothing he could do. As a result 3 people out of work and a lack of investment by us in the TRNC economy. When I say it was uneconomical to continue we would have paid more in taxes than we would have had GP.

spider

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 14:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 45 in Discussion

Perhaps it was not you then as he went into the office.and to the house.!!!

and i am sure you must know what was going on..i guess you get Paid then.!!

hope that keeps up.

No need to be rude.took it that you were the boss.,was it you he was driving about. shame that some get paid and some dont..he wa also promissed a work permit..

do all the workers have one. and its NAFF off,

spider

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 15:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 45 in Discussion

lets go back to the topic of Thred.if a car need taxing.lets all TAX..then.

spider

rtddci

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 22:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 45 in Discussion

I wanted to import our car after shipping it over. Tried several times as we want to be legal. Back & forth from Girne to Lefkosia, to the car tax office & customs & registration offices. We were told different requirements each time, another document needed, another stamp, oh and now you need a bank account, oh, we think you must apply for residency, oh have you got your in and out report? Each time, each office found they needed something else. Yes, you have until your UK car tax runs out, oh no you haven't, oh you've imported furniture you must be living here (no we are not, we want the car for when we visit) therefore you must do it straight away but don't worry, pay the fine next time you are over. In the meantime the import tax has gone through the roof. It just seems that it is a game for the various people and departments who either don't know what the rules are or are as confused as we are. Oh and yes we did seek advice but the rules seem to change whenever the sun comes up.

Dixie Normus

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 08:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 45 in Discussion

rtddci mess 43

Fully sympathise, my experience similar. I imported a pickup(double Cab) on an initial enquiry before bringing the vehicle over was told it was commercial import would only be 15%. On arrival was given 1 year,went to pay after this period was told it was'nt commercial Customs wanted £13000, went through a fixer (local TC with a rel in customs he charged a £1000) his rel wanted £500

paid and got the truck in for £5600 including the bungs. So for all you do gooders out there,why should we contribute to a system that is riddled with corruption and rippoffs, I now only pay when I have to and if you can avoid paying these corrupt nest of vipers a penny do so.

When rules and payment rates are written down in black and white for all to understand I may change my view.

D.N

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 08:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 45 in Discussion

DN couldn't agree more, also I would just like to add that other expats are informing customs that brit cars are here...nasty little grasses...

Sideways

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 08:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 45 in Discussion

Best of luck to those that don't pay.

If you knew where the taxes went it might help, it sure isn't spent on the roads. You are paying for the government workers to sit on their bums because they can't get sacked. If you look at your import tax bill some of it goes to the Turkish army!

I drove from the U.K. and paid my tax 2 years later and imported 2 cars and paid the tax on arrival at Famagusta.

Pete.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.