North Cyprus Tourist Board - Solution to Litter Problem?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Solution to Litter Problem?

Solution to Litter Problem?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

petez

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 19:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 35 in Discussion

Hi all,

I don't know about you, but the one thing bad about North Cyprus is the litter

I am trying to think of some way we can make a difference

,does anyone have any ideas?

Pete

Macha

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 20:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 35 in Discussion

Educate a lot of the locals/settlers, none of whom like being told what to do by foreigners.

Tell the authorities they are criminally irresponsible not to have anti-littering legislation with heavy penalties in place like they do in the south. But they don't like being told what to do by foreigners either.

Best get used to it. What do you expect from people with no pride in their country?

cronos

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 20:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 35 in Discussion

Subtle as a sledgehammer as usual Macha !

rtddci

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 20:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 35 in Discussion

One could be forgiven for thinking that some locals regard the TRNC as their meal ticket for life, job wise & financially including a good pension, that hard work is for lesser mortals, a flash car is very important and that with such a wonderful 'cushion' keeping the place tidy is of little importance along with tourists and foreigners in general.

dodger

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 20:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 35 in Discussion

Mess 2,

You are Pikey and i claim my fiver.

spider

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 20:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 35 in Discussion

I feel that the govenment should give heavy fines to Builders,thus the workers would have pay cuts,and perhaps pickup....WISH,

But have decided that if i am out,as always take my rubish home.if i were to see anyone leave theirs,a polite tap and just hand it to them back.Sundays seem the best day to impliment this.and belive all us brits should be doing the same...look foward to a tidy summer..

spider

petez

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 20:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 35 in Discussion

Thats a good idea Rastaman!

Macha

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 20:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 35 in Discussion

dodger: "You are Pikey and i claim my fiver."

I'll give you it when I see you.

I do seem to have support on this one, though.

fire starter

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 09:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 35 in Discussion

i think it is about pride and education.

i have six neighbours, three would never throw out litter anywhere or let their dogs run loose. the other three have no respect and trash everything, they live worse than gypsy's.

the decent neighbours and ourselves are always on the case of the local council to do something about it. they say they will but nothing ever happens.

i tend to throw anything which they have thrown my way back at them, something they don't like.

one neighbour every day threw his fag boxes onto our drive.

we spent a month collecting up ours in a bag, then tipped them out on his front path.

he didn't like it, but never threw his on our drive again.

asking nicely doesn't work, just treat like for like.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 09:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 35 in Discussion

Agree with message 9 (Nige?). Name and shame them.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 10:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 35 in Discussion

I too agree, as much as I love living here the rubbish is a problem and they should do like they do in the South, put up big notices..and fine the offenders...this is a small place and could be cleaned up in no time.....I also agree ppl need to have more respect..

magicart

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 10:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 35 in Discussion

Last year a group of qualified people studied this issue for a number of months and put forward proposals and solutions to the government.

Their findings and report are still gathering dust in some government office.

This is a pity as it was a real opportunity for the government to take action.

I think things will only improve if the government get behind the issue and start to implement financial penalties.

Art

petez

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 10:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 35 in Discussion

Hi Art,

i would love to know more about the study...

Do you know who did it or what the proposals were?

Turbo

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 10:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 35 in Discussion

It will take time to educate , in the meantime, make use of prisoners and have them clean up the mess.

I would suggest more rubbish bins but watching people drink beer around the harbour walls last year and just leave the bottles where they area sitting or worse, smash them on the rocks.

Bins were located within reach.

More police patrols needed in summer time around the harbour would help a bit.

Stop cars parking up on pavement, people throwing sunflower seeds and beer bottles makes the harbour area look really sh+++y.

When tourism starts to drop , it might make them think twice.

DONTY

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 11:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 35 in Discussion

Education is the key.

I grew up in the UK and the 'keep britain tidy' campaign was everywhere. subsequently I have grown up with a strong belief.

Without heavy duty marketing this problem wont go away as every bit of rubbish picked up is replaced twofold by someone who doesnt know any better.

The government need to sponsor an Ad campaign but, I am told they see it as the job of NGO's.

In the meantime I like the idea of businesses voluntarily sponsoring a stretch of road and getting a roadside placard to let everyone know about their community input. This is good advertising.

Another idea i like is to get businesses to sponsor beach cleaning with tractor and grooming machine. local councils can offset the cost of such a machine by asking local business to pay to have a logo on the side of the machine or a small placard naming the contributors at the beach entrance.

Of course the problem now is financing any project in the current financial situation.

Magbs

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 11:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 35 in Discussion

Mess 2 (Macha)

"What do you expect from people with no pride in their country?"

I think it has nothing to do with the pride. Turkish (Rep of Turkey) people for example are quite proud of their country but you can find the same picture around their dwellings. In most fanciest all-inclusive clubs just cross the road and see the same building wastes, boxes, bottles etc.

I travel a lot usually without any sensitive proudness toward the places, I just respect my environment regardless of how long I stay their and that's what the education should be focused on. You can't count only on pride because most people are just unable to take this too broad thinking no wider than their land fence or village borders.

Macha

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 35 in Discussion

Magbs,

Pride, or lack of, is only one of the issues I mentioned. Education was another and criminal legislation was a third.

It's a subjective issue, isn't it? I too have travelled extensively, also in Turkey, and can compare different places. But at the end of the day pride in one's country plays a big part in not turning it into a rubbish tip. I wouldn't suggest Turkish settlers are to blame for most of the trash lying around the TRNC, but I would say people who feel themselves to be second-class citizens and foreigners are less likely to be motivated to keeping the place tidy. That's the least of their worries.

Magbs

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 22:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 35 in Discussion

Macha,

Everything is subjective since we have no statistics. It"s all about personal feelings.

I must admit I agree about second class citizens and foreigners (again, the second class

spider

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 22:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 35 in Discussion

shame but even here,we are a Statistic.....and just pay the tax...on everything..

spider.

petez

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 22:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 35 in Discussion

Donty,

I think you have some excellent ideas, they sponsor sections of road in the US in a simliar way. Excuse my ignorance but what is an NGO?

Do you think inititives like these would be easier to get off the ground now the spotlight is on Cyprus?

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 22:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 35 in Discussion

Many of the points on this threadare extremely valid. All good common sense. Cleanliness would certainly help the tourist industry.

Studies in Holland show, that if you have lots of litter and graffitti in an area or wall it simply grows. If the place is dirty people see it as such and just add to the mess.

If you clean up an area, people see it as clean and are more inclined to keep it that way.

New York major Guiliani realised this principle. Whenever a window became smashed he got it mended immediately. The area was more likley to stay clean. When a broken window was left broken the area would soon become dirty and unkept.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 35 in Discussion

msge 22

NGO - Non government organisations - charities, community groups etc

Bradus

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 23:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 35 in Discussion

"I would say people who feel themselves to be second-class citizens and foreigners are less likely to be motivated to keeping the place tidy"

So that would be the Brits then Macha?

petez

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 23:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 35 in Discussion

Thanks ilovecyprus....

Its a very good point,

Maybe we could start a "rubbish in cyprus" photo group.

And take pictures of the litter.

We could shame the government into action before it puts people off coming here and affects the tourism income???

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, what would 10,000 pictures say?

What do you think??

I have friends in Japan who walk round with mini ashtrays outside when they smoke for the ash!

Tootie

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 23:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 35 in Discussion

When i was over two weeks ago i saw alot of street cleaners and the place was looking alot better than when i was over last november.

I think builders do make the most mess/rubbish because they seem to start a job and leave it for months and it dosent look good.

toot

petez

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 23:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 35 in Discussion

If you have a facebook account join

"Litter in North Cyprus"

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=131520585014

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
27/02/2009 23:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 35 in Discussion

msge 26

Hi petez

I love your enthusiasm. Politicians see the rubbish on a daily basis so I am not sure they would be influenced by photos, all they may be so accustomed to the rubbish that they might not actually see it and be unaware of its impact.

Macha is probably right in this regard.

I wondered what would happen, if everytime I came to the TRNC, I went out in to Lapta town with a dustbin liner and litter picker and picked up the rubbish. Now I know for sure that many locals would just laugh at me but a few might be curious and eventaully copy me.

I am not telling the locals what to do but I am inviting them to join me through my actions.

Now if 400 Brits did this same action consistently around Cyprus I wonder what would happen.

Also I know that some Brits and TC's have cleaned up some beaches but i wonder what would happen if teams of Brits cleaned up Kyrenia on a regular basis. This is right in peoples faces.

Just thinking outside the box.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
28/02/2009 00:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 35 in Discussion

follow up to message 29

The cleaning events would need to be random for greater impact.

petez

Message Posted:
28/02/2009 01:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 35 in Discussion

Will do some thinking on it, glad to see some people care though..

i was thinking more along the lines of the unwanted publicity a group like that could attract...

Hector

Message Posted:
28/02/2009 02:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 35 in Discussion

"When tourism starts to drop , it might make them think twice."

And where have you been lately? Tourists? What tourists?

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
28/02/2009 08:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 35 in Discussion

Most of the rubbish is caused by builders from building properties. These properties are then sold to foreigners, but for my argument, it doesn't matter who buys them.

They dump for free. They dump local to where they are building.

How much would it cost to dump correctly. £100 per 10 square metres, the dump site may be 30 minutes away.

So who is going to pay? Your property may cost a few hundred pounds more. Maybe even a thousand. How many of us, would insist upon correct dumping and pay the extra? I know you will say, how do I know it's being dumped correctly? Good point. You don't.

So, you need massive penalties. The driver, gets deported or 6 months or 5,000TL fine. The bosses (all of them) get double.

People who report this get a free Merc or BMW, there must be plently sitting in the showrooms!

Get the locals to move their coffee shops to possible dumping areas, they wouldn't then even have to miss their favourite past-time!

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
28/02/2009 08:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 35 in Discussion

I've had another idea.

Dump everything in an area that will be returned to the other side if there's a settlement.

petez

Message Posted:
28/02/2009 09:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 35 in Discussion

I like the BMW idea, could we extend it to Porches too?

ROBIN HOOD

Message Posted:
01/03/2009 11:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 35 in Discussion

They've got an army (literally) of helpers. All equipment etc supplied. So insteasd of sitting in barracks.....

Dawnie1

Message Posted:
01/03/2009 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 35 in Discussion

I was talking to the owner of the restaurant up in the montains at the end/start "tank track" Kokan or something like that (can't remember right now)& he had the minister of education there & asked her if the rubbish problem could be addressed in schools and by starting young, it would filter through, & she refused to acknowledge there was even a problem!!!! He said what chance do we have if we cannot get a minister to agree there is an issue.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.