North Cyprus Tourist Board - Anyone used Cyprus Car Hire from Larnaca Airport?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Anyone used Cyprus Car Hire from Larnaca Airport?

Anyone used Cyprus Car Hire from Larnaca Airport?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Car Hire in North Cyprus

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

AbbyG

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 15:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 32 in Discussion

Hi all

Looks like my easiest option is to fly to Larnaca via Malta (from Tripoli) as I'm restricted to certain airlines for the day that I need to travel, so have decided to hire a car from the airport. Does anyone have any comments to make regarding the hire company mentioned above http://www.cyprus-car.com , or the drive over the border. I've printed off the route from this site and have yet to decide whether to find a hotel close to the airport for the evening of my arrival (arrival time 18.10hrs) so I will be fresh for the drive the next day, or to just get in the car and drive over the border the same evening. For people who do this journey regularly, what do you suggest I do? I'll be driving to the Esentepe region.

BTW, Dusterbruce, if you're reading this, my brother James is confirmed on the same flight as you from Manchester on the 23rd Feb. I'll probably contact you off board nearer the date with his description so he can buy you a drink at the airport prior to picking your brains for information about NC during the flight!!!

Cheers, Abby

Perry

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 32 in Discussion

Hi Abby

We used Cyprus car hire when we came over last. They were very good - they meet you as you come through arrivals and take you to the car in the car park to complete paperwork - no problems taking car north - nut you must buy TP insurance at the border.

Drive to Kyrenia is easy - from airport drive straight to moterway, join it and follow sign to Lefkosia. 6 km before Lefkosia take exit for Troodos (by stadium next to moterway). Turn left at roundabout from slip road - now follow signs through the suburbs to Kyrenea - every roundabout or junction is signposted.

The final roundabout has big coloured hula hoop things on it. Take second exit again posted Kyrenea. Look for Coco Cola Factory / office on right hand side and take the next LEFT. Drive straight down road to the border.

Once across, straight over first roundabout, then first exit at the second one (posted Girne). Follow road (with humps ) to the end. At next junction/ roundabout, turn right (psted Girne). 0.5 mile to big roundabout with the fontains - first exit and you are on the main motorway to Girne.

It really is quite easy. Good luck.

JamesB

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 15:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 32 in Discussion

Hi Abby, I'm sure you cant take a hire car over the border - I use Acmenya car hire while I'm over -They pick me up from Larnaca - handle the border crossing ( you shouldn't even have to get out of the car) I think I pay about £40 ish - Most companies will do the same thing I think. I also hire a car from them too - Seem competitive - If its your first time might be worth letting someone else take the strain.

JB

McSteviet

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 16:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 32 in Discussion

Abby,

I would agree with James for the first trip, until you find out for yourself.

I will the same, when I go over later in the year, if I go via Larnaca.

Good luck.

Steve

lippylush

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 16:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 32 in Discussion

Abbey.

Dave and I have flown into Larnaca a couple of times though much prefer arriving at Ercan Airport. We have picked up a hire car from the Airport both times and driven through to Kyrenia with no problems. At the border we have purchased Insurance for the North and all in all the drive through including stopping at the Border took us about and hour and a half.

Sue

suntanman

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 16:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 32 in Discussion

Abby

You can take a car over the border from south to north, we have done it many times.

I have used http://www.easycar.com/ The prices are very good and they use Europcar as sub contractors from Larnaca airport.

McSteviet

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 17:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 32 in Discussion

Guys,

How much do you have to pay of NC insurance and where and how do you do that? Is it at the border post or elsewhere?

MC

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 17:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 32 in Discussion

If you hire a car in the south and take it to the North the insurance you get is only 3rd. party.

Also if you have problems, a breakdown or worse a crash it is your responsibilty to get the car back to the south.

Would you drive a hire car in the UK only 3rd party insurance????

suntanman

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 17:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 32 in Discussion

lovingcyprus

I think we've gone down this road before, I agree with what you are saying and good to inform any new members on 44 of the risks, but it is all down to personal choice, and to me the cost of flights and car hire outway the risks of breakdown in a hire car (which are generally less than 18 months old) or having a collision.

Steve

Last time we crossed the border it was 15 CYP for 1 month cover (Nov 2007)

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 18:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 32 in Discussion

You are correct it is of course down to personal choice.

The standard of driving in the TRNC is really bad, look at these stats, the UK has a very good record for road safety compared with most other EU countries. In 2004 it had one of the lowest road death rates in the EU, at 5.6 per 100,000 population. The population in the UK being something like 60million. In the TRNC the road deaths run at about 70 per annum and the poulation is only 200,000 - 300,000. Surely this shows that there is a much higher risk of being involved in an accident in the TRNC.

A simple breakdown would not really be a problem, having an accident would be.

For me gambling on saving £3-5 p.d is not a risk worth taking particulary as you say all the hire cars are fairly new, worst case scenario is an accident is your fault and the car is a write off that would cost you say £8,000 to replace.

jemjem

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 18:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 32 in Discussion

we have hired from portal at larnica no probs getting across border with hire car but you only have third party insurance which you get at border then its your responsibility if you break down etc . in my opinion find others on same flight and share taxi its cheaper to hire in the north and ive found when hiring in south to go north you get a high milage old banger. only our opinion and we have done both twice cheers bobnjulie. ps we think it would be good idea if we new when others were coming over to share the taxi cost im not to clever but could one of you clever people think of away?

Perry

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 18:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 32 in Discussion

To be honest we have done it both ways - if its your first time in cyprus, go the taxi route. The useful thing about hiring in the south is that you can then come and go and you open up the whole- last tie we spent a day in Troodos which was very nice - we still are Northern fans though

Izzet

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 15:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 32 in Discussion

I would recommend Fontana car rentals

http://www.cyprus-car.com

BILLY

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 20:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 32 in Discussion

I would also recommend Fontana.

I have used them at least 6 times previously although I am now living in the North now full time.

New cars, always there to greet you and you can hire for 3 days or more . No problems crossing and you can cross back to the south as many times as you want.

They do give you an emergency tel no to ring should you have problems north or south.

JamesB

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 20:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 32 in Discussion

Stand corrected!

Hope you have all the info Abby to make your decision

JB

simbas

Message Posted:
14/01/2008 05:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 32 in Discussion

abbyg i don't think i would take the risk , as i lovecyprus said the drivers in nc are not the best in the world , and to give you an example we witnessed 3 accidents in about 4 miles 2 of the 3 were taxi drivers , we are stunned at the amount we have witnessed over the past 6yrs . i would hire a taxi .

good luck simbas

marik

Message Posted:
14/01/2008 08:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 32 in Discussion

Hire a car in the north and get them to pick you up at the airport - north or south it dosent matter they will pick you up - at least that way you are contributing to the TRNC economy and not the GC one, nearly every car hire company in the north does this and they are mostly all good, and yes the risk of an accident should be very much considered, suntanman not the best advice but as you say personal choice !! but to 'maybe' save a few quid some choice, it would be interesting to know what the stats are for accidents where hire cars are involved ??

AbbyG

Message Posted:
14/01/2008 08:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 32 in Discussion

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I WAS thinking of hiring from the North (and therefore helping out the local economy) but as I now have to fly in to the South it's going to work out too expensive because I understand that I have to pay approx 40 pounds sterling each way from Larnaca airport and back, even if a car hire company picks me up. That 80 pounds would practically pay for my week's car hire costs!!! Can anyone confirm that if I hire a car from a company in the north they will pick me up from Larnaca airport for free and return me for my flight home?

I agree about the sharing a taxi idea from the airport; if I were coming direct from the UK I'd ask other passengers, but I'm flying in from Malta and wouldn't necessarily assume people on the same flight were heading over the border.

simbas

Message Posted:
14/01/2008 08:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 32 in Discussion

abbyg , are you renting an apartment ? i know that was your first choice ,if you have a hotel the chances are they will pick you up

good luck simbas

AbbyG

Message Posted:
14/01/2008 08:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 32 in Discussion

simbas: hi there, yes, I'm going to rent an apartment or bungalow (still waiting for James to make up his mind which one!) so no luck in getting a lift from an hotel.

AbbyG

Message Posted:
14/01/2008 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 32 in Discussion

Again, all you car hirers out there, can anyone confirm that if I hire a car from a company in the north they will pick me up from Larnaca airport for FREE and return me for my flight home?

Cheers, Abby

simbas

Message Posted:
14/01/2008 14:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 32 in Discussion

oh god abbyg , i dont think they will do it for free , after all they are in a business

regards simbas

AbbyG

Message Posted:
14/01/2008 15:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 32 in Discussion

simbas: I seem to recall reading somewhere (perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part) that some do, but perhaps I'm thinking of Ercan airport. Looks like I'll definitely be hiring a car from Larnaca airport then .....

whitemad

Message Posted:
14/01/2008 15:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 32 in Discussion

I have hired a car from Petsa & Son several times as we have to fly into Paphos out of season (no flights to Larnaca or Ercan from Belfast) - the taxi fare would definitely cover the car hire for the week from there! Petsas allow the cars to go north and will give you the name of an insurance broker who meets you at the border to give fully comp insurance. The cars have been excellent (don't order the one with air con you get it anyway without paying the extra!). Worth a try.

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
14/01/2008 15:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 32 in Discussion

whitemad

You do not get fully comp to drive a south hire car in the north

simbas

Message Posted:
14/01/2008 16:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 32 in Discussion

abbyg is'nt there someone on this forum going on your dates perhaps you could share their transport , i know its a long shot but you never know do you

good luck simbas

AbbyG

Message Posted:
15/01/2008 15:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 32 in Discussion

I'm already thinking about changing my flight details and coming through Ercan (the dates and times are much more inconvenient though). After careful consideration I'm too nervous about chancing using a car from the South in NC incase I have an accident, and all the warnings about it being my responsibility to get the vehicle back to the South is making me come out in a sweat, and I'm not even behind the wheel yet.... Even though I've had lots of experience driving in countries with no concept of 'safe' driving, ie, here in Tripoli, I just know that if anyone is going to be unlucky and get hit by a nutter in NC it will be ME!!!! So, I'm going to do my best to get a convenient flight into Ercan and then hire a North Cyprus car. I'll just be glad when I finally get there, all these decisions about making arrangements is doing my head in!

PS: I've missed ukturk's input on the forum these past few days too.

sylvie

Message Posted:
20/03/2008 21:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 32 in Discussion

yoy cannot rent a car in the north and cross th border - i am sure of that - it's a pity - you can only rent frm south to north or have someone - a friend or a taxi comming to pick you up -

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
21/03/2008 11:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 32 in Discussion

Abby I think you are doing the right thing by not hiring car in the south. I wouldnt want that responsibility if anything happened to the car. Some people just dont realise you cannot get fully comprehensive insurance for the north when hiring from the south.

trevor

Message Posted:
09/05/2008 23:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 32 in Discussion

Hi James B, have you any contact sites for this company as i want to do the same in October

Heathfield

Message Posted:
10/05/2008 00:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 32 in Discussion

Here we go again....I know it was January to March, but I hired from Petsas at Larnaca with TP AND own damage insurance for the North. The hire was made through http://www.yourway-carhire.com - the cost (Toyota Corolla) was just EUR12 per day, with about EUR1 per day for the insurance for the North - which was done at ther hire desk at the airport, so no messing about at the border. I agree - it's an easy drive to the North from Larnaca, so there's no need to stay overnight and drive the next day. The big adavantage (as far as I was concerned, apart from the low cost) was that I could go backwards and forwards across the border - which is impossible in a hire car from the North.

Jo Valentine

Message Posted:
10/05/2008 02:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 32 in Discussion

Hi

I flew into Larnaca for the first time a couple of weeks ago, hired from Fontana: http://www.cyprus-car.com/ they were very helpful & efficient, car excellent, directions from this Forum very good (and I was alone, no navigator). Got lost going back though and needed the Fire Service to rescue me!

Could someone who knows the way please post the return route from Girne?

Cheers

Jo

valentineremovals@hotmail.com

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.