North Cyprus Tourist Board - electricity
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > electricity

electricity

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Electricity in North Cyprus and KIBTEK Related Threads posted so far

lippylush

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 16:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Can anyone advise whether you have to have your contract stamped before being allowed to get electricity connected, I believe it's something to do with the 5% stamp duty having been paid. If this is correct then how can one get it connected prior to PTP etc being completed. My house is just about completed and we were hoping to get the electricity connected when we come back over in April, has anyone had experience of this possible problem?

Cheers Sue and Dave

Perry

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 18:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Sue

No you dont - you just need your contract and passport. Kibtec need to have signed off your house first that is is built to specification. Your builder should have arranged this. The stamp is literally like a postage stamp which you buy in Kyrenia next to the Kibtec office for 2 or 3 YTL. We are now fully connected and we have not yet received PTP and paid our taxes etc. Your builder really should assist you with this process.

Hope you get on OK

lippylush

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 20:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Perry

We have heard horror stories about visiting Kibtec to sort out electricity meters, some say take a picnic and books with you as it can take hours to even get served. Can you please advise exactly what paperwork we need to take with us including this stamp that is needed, any advise greatly appreciated.

Sue and Dave

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 21:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Lippylish

I think it depends on the time of day. Go into the office and you need the desk on the left hand side (don't queue with everyone else at the desk in front of the doors). there's normally a couple of people behind the desk and we found it was quite quick. Admittedly it was a couple of years ago now and we did go with our builder. From memory they took details from our passports, looked at the plans for the house, gave us a receipt and about 3 days later they turned up to connect us.

Karen

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
13/01/2008 22:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Lippylush

I have cut and pasted part of an e-mail we received from our developer about a week ago regarding electricity and this was addressed to anyone who hasnt changed their electricity meter into their own name yet:-

"We have been made aware of a recent change in policy affecting the transfer of electricity into the names of property owners. Owners are now required to prove they have paid their stamp duty tax before they can transfer electricity into their name. This involves going to their lawyer and getting the original contract which must be stamped to prove the tax has been paid. They should then take the original contract plus a photocopy to the electric office (Kibtec) in Girne show them the original and leave the photocopy with them. The original should then be returned to the lawyer."

We got ours changed in October before this came out. It only took about 20 minutes when I did it but had heard it can take a long time especially if there is a big queue.

flutterby

Message Posted:
14/01/2008 17:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

A new law has been passed that you do need to have your contract stamped before Kibtek will connect a meter, proving that you have paid stamp duty, which is not a 1ytl or 2ytl stamp. It is an actualy 'Stamp Duty', as we have in UK, 0.5% tax if paid at time of signing Sales Contract and if not paid then it rises in increments dependent on time elapsed.

united

Message Posted:
15/01/2008 13:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

A bit late now, but for all those intending to buy, get the Electric connection in the contract, give the developer an incentive, no electric, no money, it always works!

( Since I insisted on this in all my contracts, my solicitor now includes it for ALL contracts, a move forward! )

It is easier and quicker to change a name for billing purposes than to get connected ( ie only 30 mins and no disconnection)

lippylush

Message Posted:
15/01/2008 17:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

With regards to 5% stamp duty, we were told by Estate Agents, Building Contractors and Solicitor at the time of signing contracts that Stamp Duty would not be payable until completion of building works. Surely you can not pay stamp duty on building plans only without a house being built, so I don't understand flutterby's email can anyone else confirm her comments with regard to apying stamp duty at the time of signing contracts please?

Cheers Sue and Dave

stevie-d

Message Posted:
16/01/2008 17:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

I have just spoken to my lawyer in TRNC and he says he knows nothing about this stamp duty, before electricity is supplied, could you please clarify.

stevie-d

ricmo

Message Posted:
16/01/2008 19:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

I spoke to a neighbour in the same block as me in Alsancak, he went to Kibtec early December to apply for his electric meter and was told he would have to pay 1.5% stamp duty to the Tax Office before they would accept his application.

RicMo

flossie

Message Posted:
17/01/2008 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

How do you arrange to pay this stamp duty? Is it something your solicitor could do on your behalf (if you supply the money) If your builder has power of attorney could he do it?

This tax was never mentioned to us by the solicitor and there is no mention in the contract. Surely if it it is a mandatory payment we should have been told about it. In effect I presume we will now have to pay 1,5% rather than 1% through no fault of our own.

flossie

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
17/01/2008 15:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Flossie

The 1.5% is to be paid when you pay the valuation fee of either 3% or 5% (your choice which you choose but the lower of the amounts can only be paid once, each time you buy a further property afterwards it will be a 5% charge). Your solicitor will apply to the Land Registry who will send out the tapu men to make sure that what has been built is the same as the plans they hold and will put a valuation on the property/land. You then have 28 days in which to get the money to the Land Registry to pay the valuation fee, at the same time you go to the tax office to pay the 1.5% fee, cash only and they will only accept YTL so bear that in mind!!

To get your Kocan into your name you then have another fee to pay which is very minimal, I think ours was around £80.

Unfortunately everyone has to pay these charges but your solicitor should have told you.

I wouldn't expect to see these fees in the Contract as its nothing to do with the builder really.

Karen

stevie-d

Message Posted:
20/01/2008 19:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

When did all this happen???????? i`ve been waiting 2 and a half years for electricity i`m almost there, but this seems to be another stumbiling block.

stevie-d

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
20/01/2008 20:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Stevie-d

Where is your property?

Karen

stevie-d

Message Posted:
21/01/2008 10:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Orangekazzie,

I`ve bought in Karsiyaka on the seward side below where the Property Centre used to be.

stevie-d

stevie-d

Message Posted:
21/01/2008 10:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Orangekazzie,

I`ve bought in Karsiyaka on the seward side below where the Property Centre used to be.

stevie-d

stevie-d

Message Posted:
21/01/2008 10:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

opps, posted twice

stevie-d

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.