North Cyprus Tourist Board - Will a Skype mobile phone work in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Will a Skype mobile phone work in TRNC

Will a Skype mobile phone work in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

crystallady

Message Posted:
04/03/2009 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

We have a Skype mobile which has 'three' as it's provider. It works great in UK and will search for the 3g provider when we are on the move, but in TRNC the phone automatically links to Telsim, not Turkcell, & even though we can manually select Telsim 3g, still won't allow Syke to be used. Tukcell doesn't show at all as being an option for a provider. Any ideas?

WOODY

Message Posted:
04/03/2009 19:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

3 skype mobile will only work in the countries listed on skype (countries that are showing the flags) 3 only has coverage in these countries and they dont allow you to roam

crystallady

Message Posted:
05/03/2009 11:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Thanks Woody - do you have any idea why Telsim takes over as the provider on the handset & not Turkcell?

charb

Message Posted:
18/03/2009 00:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Hi crystallady,

My sister-in-law moved to UK in september, and I bought a Skype package that costs €4 per month, which lets me talk to her without limit. I use my laptop and my internet connection, and I dial her home phone via skype. I talk on the laptop and she talks on the phone. If you have a laptop, or a desktop, and an internet connection, it's quite cheap. Yo can even connect a phone to the laptop, but I don't know much about it..

crystallady

Message Posted:
18/03/2009 12:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

thanks Charb

Yes, we can use the laptop also & when we are out for a long time we purchase a monthly Turkcell 3g card for the internet which is great, but we have a mobile phone which has skype already on it, works fine in UK but just wont connect in TRNC. But I still can't work out why Telsim takes over as the provider when we are in Cyprus & not Turkcell. Strange..

seh2000

Message Posted:
21/03/2009 15:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Msg # 5 - crystallady,

Each GSM operator got roaming partners and preferred partners, perhaps "3" has Telsim as their preferred partner...check with customer care or someone who got service from "3"...

PMF68

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 08:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

There will be a new wifi hotpsot in the Crystal Bay Village soon which will give you a better signal than the 3g system which will help your speed connection when skyping friends/family. This will be available on a monthly basis same as the 3g is.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.