North Cyprus Tourist Board - schools
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > schools

schools

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Schools Posts

kamaks

Message Posted:
09/03/2009 15:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

I am cuurently living in Istanbul and seriously thinking about relocating to cyprus .I have researched schools and found 3 sunnylane,gau and the english school .What do you guys think about these schools? I have 2 in primary and 1 in secondary.

All opinions welcome

simbas

Message Posted:
09/03/2009 15:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

Hi Kamaks , welcome to the forum , if you scroll down to the bottom of the page of the topic page , and click on schools from the picking list . You will more than likely find all the answers to your questions .

Good luck Simbas

fire starter

Message Posted:
09/03/2009 16:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

hi kamaks

you didn't say which area you will be living in, if you can give us some info then people could advise.

we have friends whos kids go to the near east university in lefkosa, they have been there for a while and are very happy with it.

i do know its about half the price of sunny lane and with three kids you would get discount for more than one.

i hope that helps.

girne

Message Posted:
11/03/2009 10:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

Have been lıvıng ın North Cyprus for nearly 4 years now put my 2 boys ınto Sunnylane in Alsancak not the best of choices.

The school ıs not at all lenıent.

Havıng paıd for a full years educatıon upfront they also requıre the bus fare almost 2 months upfront!!!!

Havıng been a day late ın payıng as my workıng hours could not allow me to take ın the payment they called me to say that my son would not be collected the followıng mornıng unless my payment was taken to them by 5pm that day.

So ı took hım off the school bus totally.

Not too long ago l had a problem ın collectıng my sons so ı called the school to see ıf they could get on the bus, reply was as expected NO.

How can anyone run a school lıke thıs.

Have also heard that Gerry Leyland ıs leavıng wıth 3 other teachers!!!

Taken them both out now and am sendıng them to GA

kamaks

Message Posted:
11/03/2009 14:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

Is there anybody that sends their children to the schools in the south? Is it viable ?

the butler

Message Posted:
11/03/2009 16:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

Hi Kamaks,

I understand there is a new english school in Girne opening soon. I think that the fees are much more reasonable than Sunny Lane.

Some people have put their children into the local schools and if they speak some Turkish, I am sure they will progress. I hope you find what you are looking for.

The Butlers wife

girne

Message Posted:
11/03/2009 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

pupıls that go to school ın the South from the North get picked on and bullied is what l have been told from other parents which have sent their kids thhere

kruppp

Message Posted:
12/03/2009 19:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

Hi!

Do you know something about summer schools in the North Cyprus for international students?

kruppp

Message Posted:
12/03/2009 19:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

tell me please..

kruppp

Message Posted:
12/03/2009 21:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

I'm 14 years old, I'd like to practise my english in this summer. Who can help me with it?

Jennaa

Message Posted:
12/03/2009 22:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

can i ask why you always bitch about unwins, what have they actually done to you!!

delonghi

Message Posted:
13/03/2009 03:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Jennaa, I dont, and wont "bitch" about Unwins. Never had a child at the school, but I know a bit about the school. It is all factual BTW. Have documentary evidence.

Why did they employ an unqualified person to teach the children sometime back? A lady called ......Hayley Horseman Jones? who had her own issues in the UK? And more particlarly what did Ms Horseman Jones teach?

Because she DID teach the children without a teaching qualification.

Previously she was a debt collector/menial office worker in the UK, with no qualificatiions to teach in the UK but promoted as a teacher in the TRNC by Sunny Lane School.

How much do parents pay (pa) for Sunny Lane School these days Jennaa? Far too much.

How do they know who are teaching their kids?

Are they CRB checked?

With the history of THS calibre of staff - how can anyone know what is going on there?

Scythian

Message Posted:
02/04/2009 11:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

Hello, ask me to excuse, my robot-translator and I does not understand a slang, ask you to specify, summer English school, live in SWB, district of Tatlysu, 3 months summer to teach English, two girls 10 and 8 years, English is not understood, school bus not necessarily, my wife on a car will drive in school. Thank you very much for a help. There is much information on a forum. Much incomprehensible. It is not necessary to worry cost of teaching at school, price not problem, first it is good to teach English.

With kind regards, Sergey

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
02/04/2009 12:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

I have a son In Sunny Lane Primary and think that it is really rather good.

It is at least 60% cheaper than equivalent fee-paying schools in the UK or Istanbul.

The children are well-turned out, polite and articulate and are proceeding well with their primary education.

In point of view the children's progress is monitored quite closely by the Ministry of Education here, with the school submitting progress reports both according to the Cypriot system and, for the parents, according to the UK system.

Certainly, when ones children's education is at stake we're all highly sensitive but I consider Sunny Lane very good and at a reasonable price at the Primary Level. I have no experience of the Secondary Level but my Cousin's Son, who had been attending Sunny Lane, breezed the entrance exams for a good private school in London when they relocated last year.

kamaks

Message Posted:
02/04/2009 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

Thank you for all your input,when you consider the price of private English education in Turkey sunnylane is incredibly cheap.

I am worrying about my eldest son as soon heis in year 7 now and in 2 years will be choosing his options,what does sunnylane offer in the curriculum ?does anybody know?Any secondary parents out there?

essentialcyp

Message Posted:
02/04/2009 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

Hi Kamaks,

Maybe these articles on schools and education may help you a bit.

http://essentialcyprus.com/north/living/education

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
03/04/2009 08:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

Kamaks,

I have 2 children in secondary at Sunny Lane, both doing well. The school follows the English curriculum and the children can sit International GCSEs (IGCSE). They do not offer A levels so children can only continue until year 11. If you need accurate information it is probably best to contact the school direct, their website is http://www.sunnylaneschool.net/.

mishmash

Message Posted:
05/04/2009 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

Sunnylane fees are cheaper than the new English School's not sure about G.A.U.'s fees. There are some teachers leaving but alternatively new teachers are and have been recruited.

Scythian

Message Posted:
11/06/2009 17:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

English School's G.A.U.

3 hours a day for two weeks. Paying 450 euro. Not much? Crazy prices.

Offer a family where the child is studying the Russian language, in our family. And our child in an English family, to learn English.

Scythian

cyprussia@gmail.com

Pixie

Message Posted:
11/06/2009 17:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

scythian

try arti and libem. they have some sort of an english program for children

Scythian

Message Posted:
14/06/2009 12:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

Hi Pixie

Thank you.

I am not a policeman from New York. But still, tell me explain again. I do not understand. What do you mean?

scythian

Pixie

Message Posted:
14/06/2009 16:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

I found libems website http://www.libem.com/bizeulasin.htm

contact details :

94, Bedreddin Demirel Caddesi

Lefkosa (KTAMS Yani) KKTC (Mersin-10 Turkey)

Tel: +90 (392) 229 0137

Fax: +90 (392) 27 8369

I couldnt find any details about arti.

I didnt understand the comment about being a policeman in new york?

Scythian

Message Posted:
15/06/2009 17:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

Hi Pixie

This is a joke.

In Russia this is humor.

"You do not need me to repeat twice, I'm not a policeman from New York!"

And I on the contrary, I ask again, but I am not a policeman from New York.

Do not take to the head.

This is a Russian sense of humor.

I opened the website, but for me - it is a Chinese patent.

Try something found on the Russian site, not understanding in Russian.

Using a robot-only translator.

Madhouse.

P.S. My wife was in Girne, new school for Russian children studying summer - the English language. I am at work in Moscow, My wife on the island, tomorrow 16.06 the first day of classes.

God help them.

Thinker

Message Posted:
15/06/2009 17:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

I know the Unwin's get some stick on this site and as far as estate agency is concerned, maybe this is warranted. I would not be in a position to comment. However, my daughter goes to Sunny Lane and has progressed well within the last year.

She loves the school, which is very well run, in my opinion and the exams which are taken are recognised internationally, which may not be the case with local Turkish schools.

The cost is probably more than I would like to pay but this is purely because I often think of the free education system in UK!! We are in TRNC and obviously education for our children is v important, so really it is a small price to pay. She has lunch at school and if you check the menu, these are varied and very substantial.

Due to my monthly pay, I do often go over the time limit for the payment of the monthly fee, I informed the office and this has not caused me any problems up to press.

Pixie

Message Posted:
15/06/2009 19:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

Scythian is looking for an english speaking summer school for his two daughters.

There was an ad in kibris newspaper today. There is a school called guvence in Kyrenia. They offer english language education. They were quite cheap.I cant remember the exact amount but something like 400-500 tl per month.

Scythian ask your wife to call Guvence 815 9414

and ask about the english classes.

goodluck.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.