North Cyprus Tourist Board - Internet
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Internet

Internet

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

magalan

Message Posted:
12/03/2009 00:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

IF,and it's a big if, I can get hold of an unlocked dongle, is it possible to buy a 3g data sim card from Turkcell (or similar) to use with the dongle when we come out to TRNC next week. Or is what I am suggesting not possible?

erolz

Message Posted:
12/03/2009 00:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Maglan to the best of my knowledge the answer to this is currently 'unkown'.

This question (can I use Turkcell 3g with 3rd party modems or only with TUrkcell ones). To date despite having asked I am not aware of anyone who has definately got this to work.

As I understand it the issue is not one solely of the device / modem being unlocked. As well as being unlocked it will need to be able to 'authenticate' itself with the 3g Network and set up the connection. How 'standard' such a process is on 3g based data networks is something I can not personaly say. I suspect this process of 'authentication' is no where near as standard with 3G as with say DSL modems and thus would remain cautious.

If you do try it and confirm it either works or does not work such feedback here would be very useful. I would be more than happy to help you find someone with a sim already and test getting it working if you like.

magalan

Message Posted:
12/03/2009 12:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Thanks for that ErolZ, we're still thinking about it! What we are trying to achieve is to have an unlocked modem wherever we were in the world, and just buy a local sim data card.

Any other ideas from the PC techies out there??

TIA

Alan

erolz

Message Posted:
12/03/2009 12:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Magalan

Great idea (3G modem you can use anywhere) and I am sure there are mobile companies with 'global reach' that would love to offer you such a 'roaming' service , complete with outrageous and variable charges from location to location.

I really do not know enough about the technical details of 3G connections accross different providers to give any real hard info about what would or should work. What I do know is that the mobile phone compines have an 'ethos' of 'lock in' and highly 'proprietory' systems. Whilst the underlying technogolgies they use are 'standard' this 'ethos' may well lead them to go out of their way to make their networks only work with their approved devices. Much has been done via legislation / regulation to break them of this 'lock in' addiction with phones but I am not sure this is so well developed with 3G modem type devices.

magalan

Message Posted:
05/04/2009 22:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Do Turkcell offer mobile internet on a "pay as you go" basis?

I ask because we are visiting several times this summer, and whilst we would have to buy a dongle - which would also be to our benefit when we move to TRNC later this year - it would not be cost efficient for us to buy a dongle (149YTL) and take a contract for 70YTL a month right now.

richb

Message Posted:
05/04/2009 22:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Magalan, I tried my Turkcell 3G card in both Orange and 3 USB devices and couldn't get either to work

Richb

skybluesam

Message Posted:
05/04/2009 23:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Magalan, you can buy monthly cards, no need to sign up for 12 months.

Nick

magalan

Message Posted:
05/04/2009 23:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Thanks for that Nick.

MajorieDawes

Message Posted:
05/04/2009 23:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Works absolutely fine in an *unlocked* phone/dongle/router. Tested in a Nokia E71 phone and an Option Globesurfer III router.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.