North Cyprus Tourist Board - Great places to live in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Great places to live in TRNC

Great places to live in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

croft

Message Posted:
17/03/2009 02:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Me and the missus are serious about moving to North Cyprus but we'd really like to know from Forum users where they live in TRNC, and what they like about it.

We're coming out soon for another look but a bit of local knowledge would be very helpful.

negativenick

Message Posted:
17/03/2009 08:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

it depends what you want, don't take other people's opinions, come and have a look and make your own mind up.

Keep your cheque book at home and don't jump into anything.......

Nick

joandjelly

Message Posted:
17/03/2009 10:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

I live in Karsiyaka and I love it because:

it is quiet and peaceful

the mountains and sea are very close together so wherever you are you have the best of both worlds

it has very low humidity in the summer

it has the most sun in the winter (on the north side of the mountains)

it has all the main amenities - school, supermarkets, butchers, coffee shops, barber, internet cafe

it has a couple of really good restaurants

it is near the Gecitkoy reservoir which is great for walking

it has beaches

you can drive to Lefkosa without going through Kyrenia

you can drive all the way along the mountain to St Hilarian taking in the lovely views and scenery

I would also second what Nick has said. Come and stay for a while in different areas and see how you feel.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
17/03/2009 10:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Malatya is a great place. It has no shops, no bars, no restaurants and hardly any traffic. The road to Malatya ends in Malatya and becomes a track into the mountains. The neighbours are great and the few Brits that live there mind their own business. In summer it's a few degrees cooler than down on the coast, the relative humidity is lower and there very few biting insects. It's only a couple of miles to Sunny Lane school and all the amenities in Alsancak. We do get water rationing but it is usually on for a few hours every day in summer.

the butler

Message Posted:
17/03/2009 10:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

We live east of Kyrenia on the coast road to Tatlisu. It is quiet, peaceful and beautiful. we have wonderful views of the sea and the forest and mountains are immediately behind us. Esentepe village is unspoilt with a supermarket, cafes, post office, hardware store and many more shops. The golf course is only 6 minutes drive away and a new marina is on the plans. This is the place if you like a more relaxed way of life. If I were you, I would rent for a year and then if you really think it is the place for you, buy a resale or completed villa or apartment. On no account buy off plan, unless you are prepared for years of stress.

The butlers wife.

Amber

Message Posted:
17/03/2009 12:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Jo - Mess 3

Sorry to go off thread - but which way do you go to Lefkosa missing Girne?

Thanks

Amber

croft

Message Posted:
17/03/2009 13:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks for the input guys. It's helped to get our hit list going. But don't worry - we'll definitely rent for a bit and see how it goes.

Amber, as you know, I'm not local but I think the answer to your question is constant across the universe: "Where are you starting from?"

joandjelly

Message Posted:
17/03/2009 13:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Hi Amber drive West past the beach and past the reservoir and just keep going. Turn left at the end and then you come to the new dual carriageway and on to the Metehan turn-off. You can cut off the corner to Lefkosa there or continue down to the main roundabout. There is usually hardly any traffic and it's nice scenery.

Amber

Message Posted:
17/03/2009 13:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks Jo, I will try that - how long does that normally take you??

negativenick

Message Posted:
17/03/2009 19:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

I personally like Lapta - only problem i bought in Esentepe. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Nick

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.