North Cyprus Tourist Board - Should I fill in my pool?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Should I fill in my pool?

Should I fill in my pool?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Swimming Pool threads posted so far

gio41uk

Message Posted:
20/03/2009 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Some of my neighbours want to fill in our pool, they want to drill a hole in it fill it with earth and in a year tile it and make a parking area.

Me, i think it’s crazy, we paid for that pool when we bought our apartments and i think it would decrease our flats value.

Right now the pool is empty as we’ve had problems people taking care of it, some of us are in the uk, one hasn’t paid one penny towards upkeep to anything in the building and one in the penthouse has stopped paying and is hardly there.

Saying all that out of 5 flats 4 are or will be getting used with tenants.

God knows what the cost of it would be.

This is a link to the apartment,ignore the pics of my place but it shows pics of the pool area and the front.

http://www.ournorthcyprusapartment.co.uk/

Question is will this de-value the apartments ?

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
20/03/2009 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

I think it will 'devalue' your apartment. I'd even go further and say you'll probably have trouble renting without a pool.

smithy

Message Posted:
20/03/2009 15:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

If I was you keep the pool I agree with Bill you will never be able to sell any apts without a pool and as for renting them out no chance. We are lucky as we have a Treasurer in our apts who make sure all the monies are paid by standing order, what about a suggestion to all the other owners for someone to start it off I feel sure they don't want to get rid of a pool to make room for a car park, that we devalue your apts, think about it before making such a decision

Sheila (smithy)

gio41uk

Message Posted:
20/03/2009 15:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

I feel the same guys, i have a russian lady in the building who wants to do this and shes asked me by email.

Its crazy, pay all this money to get it and then fill it,atleat leave it empty and u can still have the option.

God knows what the cost would be to do this.

kyreniagirl

Message Posted:
20/03/2009 19:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Hi. We have the same problem, owners who purchased with a pool but now don't want to pay for the upkeep. We've been through various maintenance companies but are now with Golden Pools who seem to be doing a good job for £60 pcm all in. If you want to know 2 to avoid e mail me separately - I don't want to get sued!

We have rented out our apartment for holiday lets & long term lets & the pool has always been important particuarly as it's in Kyrenia like yours.

P.S. we're also having problems with our "permission" - coming out next week to sort it out - so you're not alone!!

joseph

Message Posted:
20/03/2009 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Gio...

I think you would be mad to fill it in?

Looking at your photos you have a lovely building, beautiful rooms and fantastic pool. Imagine if you were holidaying there with children and no pool?

Can,t imagine many photos being taken by the car... but lots by the pool?

Have you been in TRNC in the summer months... a pool amust epc for kids

Regards Joseph

Hector

Message Posted:
20/03/2009 22:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Once your pool has gone, you'll never persuade enough resdients to pay to reinstate it, that's a given. What a disaster for the rental situation, especially with the amount of competition around. No pool, no holiday rental in my opinion. I have the same situation, wonderful pool, expats willing to pay maintenence, TC residents won't but do use the pool.

racoonchic

Message Posted:
20/03/2009 22:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

99 out of 100 women would gladly throw their partners in so it shouldnt be too expensive to finnish it off

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
20/03/2009 22:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Racoonchic - that's funny.

Hector - totally agree. Keep the pool you'd be mad to fill it in.

gio41uk

Message Posted:
20/03/2009 23:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

the russian woman in the apartment above mine is the one trying to get people to do it,she has her daughter living in it,net to her are students and more downstairs,also an english woman moving into mine at the end of this month.

I dont no where shes coming from. I know its because theres no one to take care of it and its run down, we also have the problem of certain owners not paying towards bills which is pissing me off badly and i think it is with her.

Think it would cost too much money to sue owners who dont pay there cut of upkeep and because of that me and 2 others ended up getting the pool emptied,now its run down i think.

Thats more reasons why she wants this.

rowlo

Message Posted:
21/03/2009 00:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

its not your pool then ? is it ,

eager

Message Posted:
21/03/2009 01:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Better to fill in the russian woman !!!

negativenick

Message Posted:
21/03/2009 14:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

don't be so saft - fill it with water !

Nick

gio41uk

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 22:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Yes rowlo its my pool, the left hand corner lol.

Its now been called off, Iryna the lady that had the idea i think has been reading the forum comments. Just have to get everyone together and get it cleaned.

thanks for all your thoughts on the matter.

gio

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 09:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks George - Iryna and I will take that as meaning you will volunteer.

Just to let you know what is involved:-

1. Empty rainwater, clean and then acid wash the pool (£220)

2. Because the pool has been unused for so long the filter medium is compacted. To replace £95.

3. Refill (50 tons for the pool and 8 for the ballast tank @ 10TL per ton - approx £200).

4. Get accurate quotes for all this, persuade everyone to agree, arrange it, supervise it, pay for it and then try to collect the money.

But before that:-

1. Arrange reconnection of central electricity, pay the back bills and reconnection charge and then try to collect the money including 500TL from the builder who will only pay if the meter is de-registered from his name and registered in an owner's name (yours?) which of course means paying 1000TL deposit.

2. Re-arrange the maintenance contract - a problem as the original cleaners are reluctant because of what it cost them to keep removing chewing gum from the sy

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 09:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

And remembering that for ever more:-

1. Every year you will have to decommission the pool and recommission it each Spring unless you can persuade everyone to keep paying through the winter (marginally the more expensive option).

2. Pay and collect the money for the pool contract every quarter plus any occasional repairs.

3. Pay and collect the money for central electricity every month.

4. Top up the pool every 2 weeks, pay and then collect the money.

...and don't even dream that everyone will pay quarterly in advance or anything silly like that!

All in the circumstances that:-

1. Only 1 owner is resident in Cyprus (Iryna).

2. 1 owner cannot be traced and the student tenants will not (or cannot afford to) pay.

3. 1 owner wants to pay only for when thay are in Cyprus.

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 09:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Or:-

Leave it unused, half full of rainwater and a breeding ground for mosqitoes. But it is so close to the supporting pillars for the block that we have been advised that left empty it could subside and possibly damage the stucture.

I know that it is easier for us because we are in Cyprus but we live in Karsiyaka so it is hardly convenient. And we have been doing it for 3 years so now it is someone else's turn.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.