North Cyprus Tourist Board - Import tax on personal possessions?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Import tax on personal possessions?

Import tax on personal possessions?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Additional Costs in North Cyprus

croft

Message Posted:
21/03/2009 02:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Sorry if this one has been done to death in the past but can anyone tell me the import regulations when it comes to bringing in your personal stuff to TRNC?

We have a fair bit of computer gear we use for our work. My worry is the authorities might think we're importing it for resale and slap a load of tax on us.

Any advise welcome.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
21/03/2009 07:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

From experience, (not the rule book!) they will probably want to levy tax on anything that you are bringing 'more than one' of.

If you are aiming to work, have you investigated the position re forming a company / working for a foreign-based company while resident here, work permits etc?

The regulations and beaurocracy surrounding this are almost unbelievable.

And it's so difficult to get anything done, with the sun glinting off your computer screen...

Best of luck,

Keith.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
21/03/2009 07:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

In general if you are coming here to live and sign at customs indicating you have no intention of working ie retired, there will be no duty to pay.

However, you indicate bringing in "computer gear" which indicates you may be working. In that case you will have problems.

If I was in this postition I would contact your shipping agent for current customs advice, although that does change on an almost daily basis!!

Geoff

Message Posted:
21/03/2009 08:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

'Cyprusishome' (#3) gives correct advice. It helps if you can prove you are a retired person, produce pension payment proof etc. If you intend to work, or they suspect that, you'll have probs.

fire starter

Message Posted:
21/03/2009 21:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

we brought in 2 computers and a lap top along with loads of other computer stuff no problem.

a fax machine has duty payable on it, why i don't know. just put it in a box and label it computer stuff don't mention the word fax.

guns also need to be declared and will be held by customs until you have your trnc licence for them.

cement mixers and generators are also possibly taxable. put generator in a box and label garden equiptment.

anything new has tax payable, just turn the box inside out and stick it back together again, label it and it looks old. don't mention new.

i hope this helps!

gooligan

Message Posted:
21/03/2009 21:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Firestarter is correct re generator.You now have to have an import licence for them along with electric fires(helped unload friends container yesterday)

With computer gear you will have to be 'creative' with you discriptions on the packing list.Ask your shippng agent for a list of what is tax free.

fire starter

Message Posted:
21/03/2009 22:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

electric fire, what will they tax us for next? lol.

croft

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 02:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Thank you all for the input - that's really brilliant help. It's one thing getting a copy of the 'rules and regulations' but learning from the personal experience of other's is very useful.

Keith - me and the missus have a UK Limited Co we intend to keep going. My understanding is that as long as our existing UK customers are billed by the company, we don't need work permits.

Any idea what the situation would be if we provided services for customers in Cyprus and asked them to pay the UK company? I'm not sure if we would be technically 'working' in Cyprus or not.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 23:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Hi again,

I really think that you need expert advice on this, my gut feeling is that if you are actually performing the functions in TRNC which produce the income, no matter where it is paid, you may be liable.

Also bear in mind that there is no 'double taxation agreement' between UK and TRNC, so that any income is taxable in TRNC, even if it is taxed elsewhere (my understanding).

Of course you may be inclined to just 'keep mum' and hope that they don't notice, but to reside in TRNC (get temporary or permanent residency, that is - as opposed to having a work permit ) you have to produce evidence that you are able to support yourself without working, which could be difficult, or not, depending on your circumstances.

You have already drawn notice to yourselves by posting on this board, of course...

Have a word with 'Rustem Z Tartar' contact details on http://www.tatarandco.com

- if he doesn't know the answer, he'll know a man who does!

Hope it all goes well!

Keith.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 23:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Oops!

got an extra 'r' in there - should be 'Rustem Z Tatar'

Tootie

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 00:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Croft give jo valentine a call she is spot on and has all the upto date info on import etc.

http://www.jamesvalentineremovals.co.uk/

croft

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 02:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

I really appreciate this guys. Thanks again. I am keen to do this correctly.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.