North Cyprus Tourist Board - Cyprus: Reversing the Drift to Partition
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Cyprus: Reversing the Drift to Partition

Cyprus: Reversing the Drift to Partition

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

mikedalton

Message Posted:
24/01/2008 18:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 44 in Discussion

The International Crisis Group has published a report dated 10th January 2008 detailing their assessment of the future options for Cyprus. See details here:-

http://www.crisisgroup.org/home/index.cfm?id=5255&l=1

This is an unbiased report that sets out the stakes for all sides and makes the case that if meaningful talks on union do not start in 2008 the road to partition will be almost inevitable.

It's a 30 page report with an executive summary. Well documented and worth reading by anyone with an interest in the future of Cyprus.

dodger

Message Posted:
24/01/2008 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 44 in Discussion

Thanks mike will read later and post my thoughts.

Barrovian1

Message Posted:
25/01/2008 05:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 44 in Discussion

Thanks Mike

That was a good read, lets hope that all is resolved shortly.

Bob.

dodger

Message Posted:
25/01/2008 10:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 44 in Discussion

Really interesting and informative read,surprised that it has not had a bigger response from the forum.looks like 2008 is definiteley make or break.lets hope the descicion isnt to go down the partition route.

Milou

Message Posted:
25/01/2008 10:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 44 in Discussion

Let's hope they do go down the partition route - do I want to belong to an immoral, defunct, incompetent, corrupt EU? absolutely, no thank you - there has to be a better world out there.

Regards

simbas

Message Posted:
25/01/2008 11:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 44 in Discussion

a very interesting read , but i really have mixed feelings on this , i am going to reserve my judgement and ponder for awhile

regards pat

Murales

Message Posted:
25/01/2008 11:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 44 in Discussion

Hi everyone

I am new to the post. Finding the time to write is hard. The report is not unbiased. If you read between the lines the Greek Cypriots once again will get the best deal.

simbas

Message Posted:
25/01/2008 12:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 44 in Discussion

hi murales welcome to the board , you are right , after reading it over a few times it certainly seems that way

regards simbas

pollytat

Message Posted:
25/01/2008 12:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 44 in Discussion

Thanks Mike

A lot to think about.First thoughts The Cypriot goverment will not go for it.

Derek.

ukturk

Message Posted:
25/01/2008 13:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 44 in Discussion

hi gıys

just a few comments i think its all bullshit!!!! (pardon my french)

i read reports like these every single day and dont take no notice because all they want to do is make us turkish cypriots like second class citizens in actual fact a greek dog and cat would have more rights!!!!!

the greeks had the perfect chance to get what they wanted in making us inferior citizens with the anan plan and the turks was so despearte they even said yes but greeks being as stubborn as donkeys and wanted to cut of their noses to spite their faces said no, even thou they would have had a majority say in government and everyday life but of course they want all of the pie, now the turkish cypritos are much more wiser and wont make the same mistake

so my final conclusion is all these interfering busy bodies who are pro greek because they are in the e.u that havent got a clue who sit in their luxary offices in brussels can go and get stuffed the only way for a peacefull solution is for a pemanent split and north cyprus to be a self runned self sufficent country and if the e.u dont accept that then so be it turkey and north cyprus has done well without them so far and still will, remember the e.u and u.n need turkey and north cyprus more than we need them and what benifit will joining the e.u have anyway being ruled by corrupt New World Order being giving so much money so we will be in debit to them till our dying days, just ask the smaller countries how they are suffering with their e.u debit and the euro as their montary system

sorry for the long post but i feel so passionate and angry about this subject

regards

ukturk

ukturk

Message Posted:
25/01/2008 14:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 44 in Discussion

milou

i received your email and read it with great interest, it is so refreshing to see that people other than turks and turkish cypriots understand the plight us turk cypritos have had to go thru and will probabley still go through till our dying days and in my eyes we are better off not joining the corupt christian club of the e.u with their new world order views which is not that much better than the views that hitler had on world domiance!!!!

regards

ukturk

Milou

Message Posted:
25/01/2008 17:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 44 in Discussion

Hi UKTurk

A boy after my own heart - you've got it perfectly right again - UK Turk does know all!!!

Regards

Dusterbruce

Message Posted:
25/01/2008 19:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 44 in Discussion

My few visits to Greek Cyprus since 1981 have told me that prices have increased horrendously since they joined the EU.

My understanding of 'The Cyprus Situation' tells me that if the Turkish Intervention of 1974 had not happened there would be no Turkish Cypriots left on the island either because of ethnic cleansing by the Greeks and Greek Cypriots or the Turkish Cypriots fleeing the island.

If any Greek Cypriot complains to me about property lost in 1974 I always reply

by saying 'serves you right, you should have behaved yourselves'. The only exception I would make about property is that the Turks should have left churches alone.

Personally I think the island will be better staying split, but the international community must be made to understand the true reason that it is split and therefore give the TRNC the recognition it deserves.

dodger

Message Posted:
25/01/2008 19:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 44 in Discussion

Spoken from the heart and with true passion as usual Erkan.So you dont see it as an unbiased report as our initial poster states.Why cant the greeks see that they really do need tukey and the north for economic reasons.

doesnt a form of partition already exist at the moment no direct flights,trade embargos troops on the border.only certain places were crossings are allowed from north to south and vice versa.Do you see any good points at all in the report or just another another one biased to the hilt towards the greeks.

gottheyips

Message Posted:
25/01/2008 20:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 44 in Discussion

Read the summary , I was not impressed and really seen nothing new.

I worked in Cyprus in the mid 60s and 70s witnessed personally the atrocious attitude and actions of SOME Greek Cypriots towards the Turkish Cypriot community.

The Turkish military intervention was warranted and has saved countless lives amongst both communities, there presence to date has prevented further killings and unrest.

I too believe that partition is the right course and the safest avenue, unification against the will of the people would result in civil unrest.

Arrogant and self opinionated politicians and individual persons will always try to force there beliefs on the silent majority.

Anyway what is wrong with a border, most countries in the world have them why not Cyprus.

I was born and raised in Northern Ireland so have personally experienced the tragedy of civil unrest.

My last point is to disagree with ukturk, ( how dare I ), although I can understand his feelings towards the GCs, please!! rise above insulting them as a people.

They have been brainwashed by the arrogant and self opinionated persons I mentioned earlier.

Finally I feel the remark on a Corrupt Christian Club is inflamatory, and on the Hitler theme that is just toooooo much !!.

whitemad

Message Posted:
25/01/2008 21:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 44 in Discussion

Well said gottheyips

I was born and raised in Belfast, Northern Ireland and believe me I never knew 'peace' while growing up. We now have a form of 'peace' but in it's infancy it resembles, politically, where TRNC is now. Don't give up, keep talking and hold your ground - there will be compromises that you don't like but will accept. Hopefully, in the end, it will lead to a better country standing on it's own. Although we are still learning!

gottheyips

Message Posted:
26/01/2008 00:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 44 in Discussion

thanks for that whitemad,

I know I went on a bit but there are striking similarities to N. I. The bomb bullet and hatred got us all nowhere, quite the opposite, it served only to lenghten the problem.

Respect each others culture, religion, and personal views this will go further than insults and violence.

Any connection to the great NORMAN?.

ukturk

Message Posted:
26/01/2008 00:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 44 in Discussion

hi

not once did i insult the greek cypriot race, i stated that they are stubborn because of the pure fact they voted no to the anan plan which defo favoured the greek cypriots but still they said no cos they want it all which is a true fact!!!!

on the e.u theme everybody knows this union is corrupt just ask anybody who knows european politics and also their ideas with the u.n views on new world order are very simlar to the views hitler had but of course he went around it the wrong way by killing innocent people and was a evil man!!!!

i speak to a lot of turks in turkey and in cyprus and they all feel the e.u is a christian club and is one of few factors why we havent joined, firstly if turkey did join they would have the biggest muslim army in europe which they are affraid off and at the end of the day look at all the other countries that have joined before turkey, poland, bulgaria, bosnia etc etc not no disrespect to these countries but what do these countries offer the european union other than their countrymen flocking to the u.k and taking jobs away from u.k nationals and abusing the state i.e nhs-dss etc, people might say it has to do with turkeys human rights offences but again look at these other countries not so long ago there were civil wars where ethnic cleansing had taken place and if im not mistaken these are human rights offences

of course everybody has a right to express their views and this is mine aswell as many other turks i know and spoken to about this subject

regards to all

ukturk

p.s the only abuse and violence ive seen and heard have all come from greece and the greek cypriots just take a look at other forums like topix on how they abuse turks and even one another and it was not so long ago we had greeks come on this forum abusing us turks and expats and if you think im being over the top just speak to any of the older generation of turkish cypriots in what they had to go thru during the late 50's upto the early 70's and see the pain in their eyes not just losing loved ones but livelyhoods, land, houses and possesions and fleeing for their lives and living in enclaves for many years

Milou

Message Posted:
26/01/2008 11:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 44 in Discussion

I would just like to add one thing to this debate - if self determination was right for Slovinia, Croatia, Bosnia, Herzegovina and now shortly Kosovo, all with the backing of the EU and the UN then WHY NOT TRNC?

Regards

panhandler

Message Posted:
26/01/2008 19:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 44 in Discussion

UKTurk

EU corrupt christian club ? new world order ?

I fnd your comments are a little strong really, have you jusr read '1984' by George Orwell ! , there where more clubs involved than just the EU .

The only New world order I am aware of is the one George Bush's is promoting through his personnal crusades in the wordsl political arena

Bottom line is

The US drives the global economy, 'market forces' my friend, closely followed by the EU, yes there are evil empires, and the US power brokers belong in the axis of evil, the EU and the christian club are not really the drivers., just tagging along for the ride

When you consider that 68 % of the american public have never left the States you can undertsand that the have a very shaded and ignorant view of the big wide world

If you look at the bigger picture you will note that there leadership have always been been on a crusade to save the world from religions that they have no concept of or simply do not understand, george has the attitude of 'its my way' or the highway !

I respect all religions and the majoruty of those that apply them humanely and with tollerance

What I do not like is crusaders/ arrogance/ ignorance and a lack of respect for multi faith society

Regards & without predujice

Panhandler

rtddci

Message Posted:
26/01/2008 19:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 44 in Discussion

I wonder if the Greeks reading the report will think it is biased towards the Turks?

ukturk

Message Posted:
26/01/2008 22:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 44 in Discussion

hi panhandler

no offence but just because you personally dont know something, does not mean it does not happen or take place!!!!

new world order does not just belong to bush and his personal crusade hence the name, it also covers the united states of europe and the united nations

we are talking about the e.u not the u.s but they also have the same view its our way or the highway if you dont belive in peace then we will either go to war with you or strangle you via embargos, aid and grants or even we wont let you in to our club, which is exactly what is happening in turkey's case by dangling the carrot and withdrawing it when they get close

us as human beings are taught to respect race, colour, creed and religion but how can we justify what the e.u say about turkey not being allowed to enter the e.u because of their poor human rights issues when there are countries joining the e.u before turkey that not so long ago where breaking every human right violations by ethnic cleansing their own people just because of their religion, so what other excuse can the e.u throw at turkey

you dont have to read novels to see that e.u is corrupt just read non biased news reports and judge for yourself!!!!

you might think my view on the e.u being a christian club are strong but i speak and have many disscusions with turks in turkey and in cyprus on this subject and this is the view of many of my fellow countrymen and like i said before everybody is intitled to their view even if you agree or disagree

anyway i have gone on too long about this subject and slightly gone off track to the original thread so i will leave it at that

have a nice weekend and regards

ukturk

gottheyips

Message Posted:
26/01/2008 23:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 44 in Discussion

ukturk,

really don't like your tone on this subject, tolerence and respect is all that is required, stop trying to stufff your views down everyones throat.

ukturk

Message Posted:
27/01/2008 00:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 44 in Discussion

gottheyips

if im not mistaken thats what these forums are for to express a tollerant and respectfull view without being rude to each other which clearly you are by your last post!!!, you must of heard of freedom of speech, and im not trying to stuff my view down anybody's throat in actual fact you look most of the posters have agreed to what i have said and also if you read my last post im only answering and discussing to Panhandler not to anybody else, so if you dont like it dont read it simple as that!!!! and like i said at the end of my message this is the last i will posting on the matter because we have got side tracked END OFF....

Colliedog

Message Posted:
27/01/2008 00:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 44 in Discussion

Hi Ukturk,

You really made me sit up. You spoke from your heart.

This is the first time I have replied to this forum even though I have been reading it everyday for the last twelve months and the info is sound. I was old enough to vote when the U.K joined the E.U. I didn’t vote for it then, the rest of the country wanted in. If they had a chance to vote over again, I don’t think they would make the same mistake again. That’s why the U.K Government don’t want us to have any voting rights on E.U matters.

I respect all what you have said ukturk.

Others must like having their heads stuck in the ground

My very best regards to you.

Colliedog.

ukturk

Message Posted:
27/01/2008 01:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 44 in Discussion

hi colliedog

firstly welcome to the forum, i hope you have enjoyed reading the forum, whats taken you so long to post? lol

thank you very much for your kind words, thats the problem with today's society everybody beats around the bush and are too conservertive, where i wear my heart on my sleeve and speak my mind and somtimes this might get me into trouble because some people dont like hearing the truth but hey thats life!!!! in matters like these there are no right or wrong just people with different views and i as a person respect that unlike some people

warm regards

ukturk

p.s lets hope it dont take another 12 months for you to post your next message!!! lol

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
27/01/2008 15:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 44 in Discussion

Thanks Mike for drawing our attention to this paper.

I think it is an excellent piece of work, it seems relatively unbiased to me, and the authors have put in a lot of effort to make it so. (that being said, I think the output is more favourable to the TC's)

I think it is the most comprehensive and erudite paper I have ever seen on the Cyprus issue, in terms of the current situation.

There are lots of interesting pieces of information, but the one that startled me the most was that about Greece. It suggests that the GC’s can’t rely on the support of Greece. Reading between the lines it looks as though Greece feels better off by building an alliance with Turkey, rather than the GC's. It is no surprise then that the Greek PM should visit Turkey.

The paper has been produced because the ICG believes that the East Med (and world) would be better off by the Cyprus situation being healed. This might be true, but as the paper states noone really knows for sure if the Cypriots want to be united. For me, this is the real crux of the issue - page 24 interesting statement by Marios Matsakis. Makes sense to me.

Page 25 is also interesting. It says "An old Greek Cypriot view of Turkish Cypriots as poor, uneducated workers persists in the frequently expressed attitude that they should be more grateful for the "concession" of being allowed to work in the South." They are not going to unite if this class bias exists.

Turtle

Message Posted:
27/01/2008 16:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 44 in Discussion

uk turk, are you sure your not a yorkshireman ?........heart on sleeve, speaking your mind, say it as it is......... good forthright views and very interesting and informative to read

keep it up you add another dimension to the forum.

Turtle

simbas

Message Posted:
28/01/2008 06:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 44 in Discussion

i would like to think that i am blessed with some common sense , to say stuffing views down peoples throats , suggests to me i cant make my own assumptions or have my own views ,and that i rely on others that have theirs { rightly or wrongly }and are willing to share their views to inffluence me. the comments that have been made are personal views , be they based on peronal experience or historical facts .we all come from different backgrounds and different cultures and have different views on all different subjects thats what makes this forum so user friendly , we respect other peoples ideals , because they are their views , not necessarily ours . and i think we need to remind ourselves of that now and again

regards simbas

livethedream

Message Posted:
28/01/2008 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 44 in Discussion

Hi all

I've just looked up the definition of 'forum' (which I was pretty sure I knew anyway, but wanted to see what they said!) and here it is

'a public meeting place for open discussion : a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas'

Everyone is entitled to their views - and if someone has knowledge of something then surely they are just as entitled to express their views the same as everyone else (probably more) - just because you dont like what's said, or disagree, doesn't make it wrong.

Ukturk has obviously both experience and knowledge of the situation on this lovely island - and if his views are a little too outspoken or show too much passion for some - then that really is their problem.

Perhaps if the English were a little more passionate and patriotic about their own country (and I class myself in that group, before you all start) then maybe it wouldn't be in the sorry state it is in today.

Regards to all

livethedream

simbas

Message Posted:
28/01/2008 13:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 44 in Discussion

hi ltd , i most certainly agree with all you say

regards simbas

Biker

Message Posted:
28/01/2008 13:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 44 in Discussion

Hi Ukturk

Very well summarised the situation once again. As you say this is your opinion and most people seem to share it with you. As I do myself. Well written.

Regards Biker

ukturk

Message Posted:
28/01/2008 14:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 44 in Discussion

hi guys

thank you all for your encouraging words, good to see its only a small minority that dont belive or dont want to belive in what i am saying, and like what i said before this is my view and of many other turks including biker who is a turk and also other people who are not turks on this forum like ltd, simbas, colliedog, turtle, hulk and milou i applauded you all for being that liltle bit more open minded and for reading between the lines, its a shame some people dont take the same view as you guys do!!!!

but me in having respect for people and beliving in live and let live wont hold it against nobody who shares a diffrent view or who is not educated in these matters

regards to all

ukturk

panhandler

Message Posted:
02/02/2008 00:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 44 in Discussion

UK Turk

Did you know that the majority of your own government expresses serious reservations on EU membership

The current market conditions and global turmoil make this a less attractive proposition to both parties

I personally do not think that the turks or the EU are ready for each other on a lot of different levels, political, religious and in the geographical sence

Simple values that we agree on as described in my last post, respect and tollerance do not apply

You seem to have less respect for the EU Member states that the USA which I am a little suprised about considering there status in the global political arena and lack of respect for religions such as yours , interesting ?

Panhandler

dodger

Message Posted:
02/02/2008 13:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 44 in Discussion

Your serve Erkan

ukturk

Message Posted:
02/02/2008 15:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 44 in Discussion

panhandler

im not sure where you have interpretated that i disrespect other smaller e.u member states, all i said is that i cant understand how these smaller countries have managed to enter the union considering they have had civil wars where ethnic cleansing took place and their human rights record was or is as bad as what turkey's was, and its not just about religion but one of many factors

you might personally think that turkey and the eu are not ready for each other but if you go back in history as far back to the ottoman empire, turkey was always involed in europe and when the empire was disolved ataturk's reforms was geared towards turkey being in and involved in european matters either it be polictical or normal everyday life (take a look at ataturk's reforms)

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/958.asp

the feeling in turkey in joining the e.u, that they will loose their identity and wont have much of a say in their own matters because everything is dictated to from brussels and what might be good for one country might not be good for another, like many other less powerfull countries who have joined the e.u,

and most e.u countries approve to the entrance of turkey into the e.u especially the u.k even greece now , but some countires dont i.e france, austria and germany

since living in turkey for the last eight years i am aware some of the turkish government have doubts aswell as me and my view and many other turks who have discussed this matter are that the e.u need turkey and north cyprus more than turkey need them and this is down to being the back door to the middle east through turkish waters and land thats why there are so many e.u and u.n bases in turkey and north cyprus and ships passing through turkish waters and also more important liquid gold (oil)

now of course again this is my view and will never change aswell as many others here in turkey whatever anyone say and you are intitlted to your view but if you want to educate yourself on how the turkish media percive this situation take a look at this link from one of the leading turkish professors on political science

http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/detaylar.do?load=detay&link=132322

makes a very interesting read!!!!

ukturk

Message Posted:
02/02/2008 15:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 44 in Discussion

p.s like i said some of the major countries in the e.u are opposed to turkey entering the e.u, the leading christian france and german governments are saying this is because turkey is not europe but in asia minor, but they say turkey are our friends what rubbish bascially they are saying we want use turkey for our needs i.e thousand of germans and french living in turkey but they cant join the club but we will give them a special status, thanks but no thanks either full membership or none is what i say and get on with it either say yes or no instead of dangling the carrot in front of turkey and coming out with excuses

http://www.focus-fen.net/?id=n132611

ukturk

ukturk

Message Posted:
02/02/2008 15:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 44 in Discussion

now concerning north cyprus, from last year to this year turkish cypriots trust in the e.u have fallen and feel they cant trust the e.u with empty promises and not being heard on the international scene

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/main.php?id=37329&cat_id=1

panhandler

Message Posted:
02/02/2008 16:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 44 in Discussion

The problem with eu membership is simple, as you have already noted below,

"that they will loose their identity and wont have much of a say in their own matters because everything is dictated to from brussels and what might be good for one country might not be good for another, like many other less powerfull countries who have joined the eu".

Yes you will loose some aspects of your identity, this has clealy happened in the UK in recent years , hence the tollerance , respect and understanding comments i mention in a previous reply

As for Ataturk, he truley was a remarkable and respected man with a very grounded approach to politics and helped forge strong relationships across the barriers.

Again I note no negativity with regards to the USA ? or its leadership, surely somebody as well read as yourself is not blind to the fact that they rock the EU cradle ?.

Regards

Panhandler

ukturk

Message Posted:
02/02/2008 16:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 44 in Discussion

yes

like you said yourself a person as well read as myself can see the u.s do rock the e.u cradle

thats why i say the e.u are a corupt new world order club because if they were not they would not have any outside interventaion especially from the u.s

thats why i commented on this, but in your message 20 you have confused me!!!!!! because you questioned me on the e.u being corrupt and a new world order club and was only present in the u.s under bushes personal crusade in your eyes

ukturk

Message Posted:
02/02/2008 17:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 44 in Discussion

i know the u.s are corrupt but thats a completly diffrent discussion we are having on this thread!!!!

firstly north cyprus and south cyprus being partitioned,

secondly turkey and north cyprus joining the e.u and them not trusting the e.u because of them being corrupt etc etc

if you want to talk and discuss about the u.s lets do so on another new subject and ill be quite happy to do so on how crocked this masonary country are!!!!

ukturk

Milou

Message Posted:
02/02/2008 17:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 44 in Discussion

UKTurk

You say - "special status, thanks but no thanks". I personally think that if Turkey and TRNC can have special status, similar to Switzerland, without having to join the EU then you would have the best of both worlds but still be able to retain your independence. So much for economics!

I am reading a lot about the human rights which supposedly you don't have in Turkey but which we have in the EU but I must point out that I, belongingt to a certain religion, cannot express my religious beliefs freely, without risking a visit from the police. Any suspect person (whatever they believe is a suspect person), which is anyone who doesn't agree with them, can have their mail intercepted, phone taped, emails read etc. There are in fact hot lines in this country to inform on your famiy and friends if you think they are suspect politically.

Although most people here don't realise it, we have a secret police in this country as bad as the Stasi was in east Germany. So much for freedom and human rights!

So far as womens' right to work - there's no such thing as freedom to work, it's about availability of work and the way the world is going, we may be forced to choose whether a husband or a wife should be allowed to work because there won't be jobs for both. So in fact a lot of Muslim countries are ahead of us, so why are we trying to change them?

As far as morality is concerned (a big part of joining the EU), do we want to see Turkey being forced into the same "morality" as we in the UK/EU. G-d forbid! So much for morality!

I ask the question, why would Turkey want to give up it's independence to be ruled by Brussels?

Regards

ukturk

Message Posted:
02/02/2008 17:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 44 in Discussion

hi milou

me saying thanks or no thanks to special status is because how would turkey have the best of both worlds in my eyes the whole of the e.u would have best of both worlds they could use turkey when they want but also remind turkey dont get to big for yourself because you are not a full member

you mention the swiss but please tell me how have they benifitted in special status!!!! because they are self sufficent rich neutral country

you are right turkey has many people who belive in many religions here and dont discreminate because it being a secular country!!! and many countries could learn from turkey in that respect and i also agree turkey has done so good up to now without the interferance of brussels so why change now!!!!

but i would like to see the e.u come out and say either you can join or you cant instead of dangleing this imaginary carrot in front of turkey

so i personally think turkey joining e.u would not mean nothing other than dictation and big debits!!!!

warm regards to you milou

Milou

Message Posted:
02/02/2008 18:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 44 in Discussion

UKTurk

I understand that Switzerland is a small, rich country but I believe that Turkey must start thinking laterally - world order is fast and whilst Turkey is endlessly looking for a "yes vote" from the EU, she's not thinking further afield. Turkey should simply say that they are happy to trade with EU but start seriously looking at how they can compete with China and India.

Turkey should be looking at exporting big time - after all she has all the resources needed, i.e. fertile land and enough water, labour and could be the next big food exporter which will be tomorrow's gold!!! China is beginning to suck in food imports because of rapidly expanding middle class.

Turkey must also look at end products and start restriciting imports - again, highly educated workforce, cheap labour etc.

Lots of thought to you

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.