North Cyprus Tourist Board - Switching UK car to TRNC registration
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Switching UK car to TRNC registration

Switching UK car to TRNC registration

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

jo7eph

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 00:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 30 in Discussion

Coming over next week and will finally have to pay customs import duty on our Fiat Panda 1.2 Elegance. Anyone any idea about how much this will cost or do they pick a number and double it?

Assuming my stroke is only minor and I pay up and look good what happens next? Do I need a local emission test and MOT before going to register the vehicle? Any advice on a decent garage in the Lapta area would be appreciated. Where do I go for the registration & tax? Do you get the number plates at the same place? Any pitfalls I am likely to come across that I should know about? All help and comments gratefully accepted.

jo7eph

negativenick

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 01:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 30 in Discussion

ever tried pushing a ping pong ball up Everest with your nose ?

Well that's easier than getting a uk car registered over here !

At least the suns a shining.

Nick

newscoop

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 07:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 30 in Discussion

Long time since I did mine; then (1998) the customs office in Nicosia sent you to the MOT station round the corner and then to the car registration centre also in Nicosia where you paid the registration fee and car tax and were issued with your Cypriot plate number. Then back to customs and pay the fee. Obviously things have changed since then but there are loads of people on the board who will have more recent experience.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 11:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 30 in Discussion

I think the question of cost is simple - a lot!!! You have to pay what you ar asked, no appeal.

From reading the forums over last few years the best thing is not to bring your own car. Sorry.

Hector

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 20:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 30 in Discussion

We tried to do this last April, June & October. Nightmare. Every time we thought we had it cracked, another obstacle was put in our way, and of course they upped the import tax to ridiculous levels. One trip we were asked for a letter from our Muktar, bank account details, residency permit, contract of sale. The fact that we simply wanted to be legal, pay the taxes, register our car, leave it in NC and use it when we visit on holiday was too much for officialdom to cope with. UK reg cars are being actively sought out by customs at present. A friends car has been seized this week despite being out of order and off road. He was even forced to pay 100ytl for customs to use a low loader to take it to the pound. Good luck!

negativenick

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 20:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 30 in Discussion

mess 5 - like i say, pushing a ping pong ball.....

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 20:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 30 in Discussion

its all wrong buy a trnc plated car, you would not have the prob, you all try to do it illegal thank god theres laws here

proline

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 21:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 30 in Discussion

Hi Jo7eph,

you pay 60% customs of what your car is worth in England. They use very similar prices to the autotrader.co.uk website. Since yours is a 1200cc, you pay less on tax too. Erdogus garage is a very professional garage in Alsancak, (opposite the Merit Hotel turning, has its sign on the main road)

With regards

Bonibom

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 30 in Discussion

if you like i can put you in touch with someone who can help you to register your car, provided all your paperwork is in date and providing your car is within the laws of importing it to this country, its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

jo7eph

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 30 in Discussion

When we started this last year the old system was in place. Now it seems to be anyone's guess.

Thank for your comments to the folk trying to be helpful but is there anyone who has actually done this recently who would like to contribute?

Hector

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 22:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 30 in Discussion

My friend attempted to do so last week. They demanded $23000, about £18,000 for an old Ford Cougar (which is in need of repair). He was unable to pay that immediately. Customs have since found the car, seized it and had it taken away on a low loader. You can see the current batch of seized cars in the compound at the border.

Bonibom

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 23:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 30 in Discussion

Within the last month my friend cleared my vehicle from customs, and we now have in on new plates, custom's paid, new log book and plates on the car even the new insurance document changed from the english plate number to the new TRNC plate details, like i said if you have everything in order, its not hard if you now what to do. By the way its not just UK car's being taken, mainland turkey, greek plates as well.

Bonibom

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 23:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 30 in Discussion

Beleive me not everything is doom and gloom, like most would have us beleive.

Hector

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 23:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 30 in Discussion

My friend attempted to do so last week. They demanded $23000, about £18,000 for an old Ford Cougar (which is in need of repair). He was unable to pay that immediately. Customs have since found the car, seized it and had it taken away on a low loader. You can see the current batch of seized cars in the compound at the border.

Hector

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 00:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 30 in Discussion

Bonibom

Are you able to explain just what we need to do? Be really appreciated.

jo7eph

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 02:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 30 in Discussion

I would really appreciate more detail as well.

Hippo

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 07:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 30 in Discussion

if you like i can put you in touch with someone who can help you to register your car, provided all your paperwork is in date and providing your car is within the laws of importing it to this country, its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

posted by Bonibom

Another example of tout exploitation you can do it all your self easily please look at

http://www.phpbb88.com/northerncyprus/viewtopic.php?t=5853&mforum=northerncyprus

The only thing that has changed is the location of the the Ticaret for paper that is now

Turn left at the jeep garage (same turning as for imigration dept) first right and building on your left second floor

You can do everything here yourself you do not have to pay it only takes time which most of us have lots.

Beware of people who say i have a friend (ask how much the friend is going to charge)

Bonibom

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 09:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 30 in Discussion

Once again someone else who likes to be complete negative about this country. But anyway so many people know lots about everything!!!!!

More advise for you.

You take a copy of your coming's and goings from Lefkosia police station along with this, you take your car documents along with paperwork issued by custom's upon entry, to the trade office in lefkosia were you will require photocopies of certain papers. Also a form will have to be filled in there. You will receive permit to import, worst ways this will be the following day.

After receiving this you take your complete documents to customs office where you will agree a price for custom's and pay it. (Some times you can get a reduction, but not lots) every penny counts......

Once you have paid and received your customs paperwork, you then take your car to the mot place near to customs, again filling in a form where thay will check your engine and chassis numbers, all is well, you take all of these to the car reg office

Bonibom

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 30 in Discussion

continued from last message 18..............................

Car reg office in lefkosia, where you will drop all of your documents and wait for them to complete your documents and give you the price of how much your rd tax will be, you then pay only Turkish lira will be taken. You can have your number plates made anywhere they do sign writting. (if you have a TRNC cheque book, you can leave a blank cheque with your documents, and go back the next day) For those who don't have lots of time on there hands.

With regards to paying, i only paid 250 tl and in 1 day it was done and finished, i actually saved £380 in customs, because my friend dealt with customs on an every day basis.

Bonibom

jardap

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 10:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 30 in Discussion

We changed our car onto TRNC plates in January.Providing all the paperwork is in order it is not difficult just time consuming and expensive.If you need a list of what you need email us, and we will try to give you all the information you require

negativenick

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 10:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 30 in Discussion

Bonibob, talking about being positive, did you mention that if the car is above 3,000cc the Gov't have increased the charge from 3,500 USD to 19,000 USD - how's that for something to be positive about ???

That's in addition to the 43% (if from the EU) or 65% (non EU) TAX payable on the vehicle's value.

Factor in the hastle factor, the cost of shipping it from the uk, worries about it being damaged in transit (and bits being nicked from it) - you are better off buying here.

Plenty of Non-positive Brits (no mention of Negativity still) who are hacked off and want to sell their motor before they go back to the uk.

Take it from the Negster, importing a car just isn't worth it, bag a "bargain" over here....

Nick

Bonibom

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 10:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 30 in Discussion

Nick, why mention about engine size's over 3000 cc, jo7eph is importing a Fiat panda not a Land Cruiser. .........

If your bringing your car that you owned in the uk and you trust it now the engine, and you pay customs, maybe the price of your car then will be the same as buying a simular car from the TRNC, but you have paice of mind. How much is that worth????????

In my family about 10 cars and vans have been driven or shipped all without any problems other then late arriving. Last one within the last month.

Positive Bonibom

Amber

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 15:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 30 in Discussion

Hi,

I have a Fiat 1600 engine 2004. Import duty quoted as £1900. £700 is percentage of the value of the car the other £1300 goes to the Turkish Army!!!

Plus on top having to get it registered, taxed etc - not sure how much this will cost. Will let you know - doing it this week.

Heartman

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 15:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 30 in Discussion

I have just paid my import tax on my Fiat Panda 2 weeks ago. It's not that hard to do it just takes time. I had to go to Customs 3 times before the paperwork was correct but the people up there will help and will show you what to do. I went up there on my own and a lady up there helped me all the way through the process. You don't need good luck just a little time, as you do with everything over here.

jo7eph

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 20:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 30 in Discussion

We brought the Panda over in July last year and got clearance from Customs up till April. I'm familiar with the amount of waiting and form filling required (work on a factor of one job a day and get there early) but I know only the police station in Lefkosa for the in & outs and obviously the Customs office. Sounds like I will need directions for the Trade office and car reg office in Lefkosa.

As Bonibom says this was the wifes car which we were familiar with and all we need is a small runabout which we can trust. If it costs roughly what we would have paid in TRNC for a much older car then we are happy. So fingers crossed.

Bonibom

Message Posted:
24/03/2009 00:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 30 in Discussion

Go jo7eph,

All the best for you.

Bonibom

fire starter

Message Posted:
24/03/2009 21:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 30 in Discussion

fiat panda you can't be serious?

jo7eph

Message Posted:
24/03/2009 23:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 30 in Discussion

bonibom - many thanks for your help and good wishes.

jardap - Thanks for your reply but I can't see your email address, could you let me have any info you think relevant?

firestarter - I asked for, and got, lots of help, comments and advice for which I am grateful. What makes you think I give a toss about your opinion of my wifes car?

Scythian

Message Posted:
01/10/2009 19:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 30 in Discussion

Hi Bonibom,

I want to buy a car. Auction in Japan. How to make the correct documents. Transportation from Japan to North Cyprus. Customs duty. Other issues and costs. Can you talk?

Scythian

Sorry, bad talking in English.

In Russian fluent.

richb

Message Posted:
02/10/2009 00:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 30 in Discussion

Hi Jo7eph, before going to the MOT station take your car into Kombos opposite the Customs office to do the emission test. This is only about 40TL. Then you take that test result and queue up at the MOT station just up the road. The MOT was free when I imported my car last month. They also weigh the car for road tax purposes. It was all very easy.

Rich

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.