North Cyprus Tourist Board - Stating whether Work Permit or not when pitching for work!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Stating whether Work Permit or not when pitching for work!

Stating whether Work Permit or not when pitching for work!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Residence Permits

» Read about Work Permits

Anthony

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 11:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 37 in Discussion

Would it not be a good idea if people pitching for work on this board were obliged to state whether or not they had the required work permit.

Then at least we would know whether we were dealing with legitimate businesses or not.

There are many issues involved here, one of which is the matter of guarantees. Someone who has no work permit is liable to be deported at any moment and therefore is in no position to offer any sort of guarantee on their work.

People working without work permits have no problem working so they should have no difficulty stating "I have no work permit" whenever they "pitch" for work.

Dusterbruce

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 13:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 37 in Discussion

As far as I know you dont get the work permit until you get the job

Anthony

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 37 in Discussion

Er! that's not what I was refering to.

I meant that when people come on here asking for tradesmen to do work, electrical, plumbing, gardening etc etc. those that reply offering their services should state their status with regard to permits.

negativenick

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 14:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 37 in Discussion

Anthony - ain't you got anything else better to do ? - what about your deeds for a start ?

Nick

gates

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 14:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 37 in Discussion

if you do not have a business regestered you dont have a work permit you should not be trading anybody using these people deserve what they get cheap un guaranteed work no simpapthy for any of them quite a few on this site advertise for them they have even called me in to give them advise and then get in there ilegal cheap yes any good most were sales man or other trades till they get here i know of many times i have been there told them what i will do only to find ilegal did it cheaper

Anthony

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 15:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 37 in Discussion

negativenick

I have made a valid point. If you wish to discuss deeds go start a thread on the subject.

With regards to my deeds etc, mind your own business.

madmazz

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 15:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 37 in Discussion

I think its a good idea, its often the case that people can undercut legitimate businesses purely because they don't have to pay tax, insurances and an accountant and that is just not fair.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 15:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 37 in Discussion

Hi Anthony,

"There are many issues involved here, one of which is the matter of guarantees. Someone who has no work permit is liable to be deported at any moment and therefore is in no position to offer any sort of guarantee on their work."

And of course the legit Turkish/TC tradesman offers you a cast-iron gurantee that if anything goes wrong with his work/product, you are on you own.

Anthony

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 16:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 37 in Discussion

The point you make is not the issue here. What is your reply to the question I posed?

negativenick

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 19:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 37 in Discussion

Anthony - a "tradesman" cannot be self employed here - to get a work permit you have to be employed by a Ltd company - if you wanted to be a "one man band", the cost of setting up a company, sorting you a work permit, paying to administer the company woudn't make it cost effective, hence why so many are working "on the black".

For larger set ups with legitimate employees it must be very frustrating trying to compete with the cash in hand brigade - that said many Brits came over here expecting to live off the interest on their savings, but with interest rates in free fall, there are going to be many more Brits having to work "on the black".

Nick

Anthony

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 19:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 37 in Discussion

negativenick

I really don't know why you insist on getting the wrong end of the stick all the time.

I put forward a simple proposition. Why can't you answer it or leave the thread alone.

I have a work permit and work for a limited company and have been doing so for over two years.

I asked the question because like many other legal people here I am getting fed up with competing with the illegals, the crooks and tax evaders.

negativenick

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 19:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 37 in Discussion

Anthony - mess 11...

Good for you !

But back to the real world...

There are scores of Brits that would like to work legitimately but the system doesn't do them any favours.

if the TRNC Govt thought about it, offering a "self employed" status may get more money coming in to the coffers.

Nick

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 19:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 37 in Discussion

hear hear nick

Lilli

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 19:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 37 in Discussion

hi anthony as everybody tells you the mployer gets the permit. If you work for yourself then my darling its a buisness permit. That comes with more headaches. I dont beleive and I will stand to be corrected if wrong that your work permit will only cover you for the employer who supplied it. Good luck anyway xxx

gates

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 20:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 37 in Discussion

i got here sorted out my perition to work cost me a lot of money i am a qualified time served electrician also i had a large company witch took a long time over years to organise and employ such as structual engerneer formans 6 vans and office staff when some of these idiouts come on and say are you jack of all trades i have been employing people that they could not understand there positions let alone fill it if you cant contribute to the society you live in you are a leach and that is what is bringing the wourld to its knees if you were back in england and got to work in the morning an ilegal sitting there you would moan just as you have before remember i can take back your words as you are now the same

johnboy

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 20:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 37 in Discussion

Gates i can understand your frustration, but illegal working goes on the world over. As to what you can do about it, i don't know.

boswell

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 21:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 37 in Discussion

What everyone can do about it is not give illegal business's any work and only use a legit business.

The trouble is even the most righteous forget their principles if it saves them money.

Myself and a collegue have a registered business and its a constant frustration being under cut by people who pay no dues.

At the end of the day its only the paying customer that can change things...

negativenick

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 21:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 37 in Discussion

Mess 17 - Bos, what you have to apreciate is that a typical cash strapped Brit wants to save money where he can.

There are good quality trades people working illegally out here and ultimately if a Brit employ's them he's likely to get the job done much cheaper than usuing a legitimate company.

wright or wrong, it's ultimately the punter that makes the choice....

Nick

boswell

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 22:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 37 in Discussion

Mess 18 - Nick

Yes I appreciate what you are saying, but "you pays your money and you take your choice".

I get annoyed that the same people that employ illegal's are the same one's that moan about rubbish, infastructure and everything else that Tax money, KDV etc would help pay for.

But it is such a black economy here that it will take some changing....

racoonchic

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 22:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 37 in Discussion

there are those who can work those who say they can work and those who can actually do the job properly if the goverment here invested some money in training facillities they would be overwelmed with people who are willing to learn and better themselves and provide a better service and if they offered an incentive like easy access to work permits on condition that someone skilled trained a local as an apprentice it would install a lot more confidence and trust. everyones tired of being let down and thats why they employ people who they can speak to and hopefully trust .99% of people dont mind if they have a permit or even bother to ask.

Hector

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 22:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 37 in Discussion

"I asked the question because like many other legal people here I am getting fed up with competing with the illegals, the crooks and tax evaders. "

What lawyers, estate agents and builders? You and me both.

Dixie Normus

Message Posted:
22/03/2009 22:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 37 in Discussion

Cant understand why any tradesman wants to come to the TRNC and start a buisiness with the costs and bulls**t involved, The reason this goverment make it so difficult is they believe your taking the bread out of the mouthes of the locals. As for folk always saying Brits are working without permits what about mainlanders most are working without permits, families are without residency an more often than not squatting in a shed with a mountain of crap outside but not alot is said about that black economy as it is cheap labour for TCs to make a buck out of. If you want to work go South, if you want to loose loads of money start a company here and feed the never ending army of local gov employees bleeding the country dry.

D.N

negativenick

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 00:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 37 in Discussion

well said Dixie

Quarmby

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 09:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 37 in Discussion

Is there a Hotline to report illegal workers?

lindoc

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 09:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 37 in Discussion

Quarmby

Is there a hotline to report corrupt government workers, and the ones that get paid for doing very little,

robbie c

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 10:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 37 in Discussion

TRNC Vaughn Mess 8 In my exsperience most "tradesmen" Give the only guarantee thats theres no guarantee.Time and time again been caught on the "its got a 1 year guarantee"only to find that its with the manufacturer in Tiawan or Turkey or Italy.even from "tradesmen"that have been recommended. Then of course is the "Lost in interpretation"job.Cant win very often Im afraid.The problems that I see over hear is that even English tradesmen would have to pay so much deposit to start here its prohibative so not worth there while as far as income back is concerned.If the Goverment bought in a Self Employed system base on the UK system then they would receive a reasonbale return rather that losing it to the "Black Economy"Only my veiws im afraid.Didnt come here to work ,but didnt want to be ripped off either

negativenick

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 10:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 37 in Discussion

I would assume that most of the tradesmen working illegally work purely by reccomendation (for fear of being caught by advertising for work) - so they presumably will offer a good service and aftersales service in order to keep getting reccomended.

It would be interesting to know how many illegal workers would go legal if the Govt changed the rules and made it easy to be self employed.

Nick

parkview

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 19:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 37 in Discussion

"I asked the question because like many other legal people here I am getting fed up with competing with the illegals, the crooks and tax evaders. "

Sounds just like the UK to me, hence why we all left!!!!

Littlenige

Message Posted:
23/03/2009 20:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 37 in Discussion

Anthony

Good post......

should we also only shop at places that give a receipt instead of totting up on a calculator the putting cash in the drawer should we ask for a receipt for every purchace we make so the government are getting their dues ??

How many shop keepers buy in the south do not pay duty then charge top ytl and pay no tax lots

Dixie Normus

Message Posted:
24/03/2009 00:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 37 in Discussion

Nail on the head Nige, at the end of the day the system is a nest of vipers , from the back handers in the customs office, the one price for locals and the one for forigners/tourists, the racist rules, regs ,and corruption that probably only exist in the TRNC , Zimbabwe and other banana republics.

So why stand up and play the honesty badge when your surrounded by bandits, because were British thats why, and thats why we end up having the pee extracted.

Ive met many a well intentioned experienced buisiness type that have give this place their best shot, I dont know many that have made a decent buck, the system here is not geared for the eauntrepreneur.

Just enjoy the sun and the mountain air, while its still free, god bless the TRNC.

D.N

erolz

Message Posted:
24/03/2009 01:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 37 in Discussion

Dixie Normus msg 30

"the racist rules, regs ,"

Can you giove some actual examples of 'racist rules and regs' ? The only one I am aware of is charging a different deposit rate for foreigners than citizens for electricity supply. This could be considered 'racist' though I think discriminatory is a better word and Kibtec would say that it is just a reflection of the relative security they have in recovering outstanding amounts from each of the categories.

So any other actual exmaples you know of ?

Anthony

Message Posted:
24/03/2009 08:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 37 in Discussion

But, back to the original question.

Should tradesmen touting for business on here be asked to state whether or not they have a permit to do that work?

Dixie Normus

Message Posted:
24/03/2009 09:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 37 in Discussion

erolz, cost of residency, differs for Brits and mainlanders, imported vehicles, brit and south cyp cars targeted by customs mainland cars which should fall under same regs are not. Our friend Nick will probably fill a couple of pages.

Ant : Anyone that advertises on this board or anywhere else for work, that are without correct documentation are a fool to themselves as no doubt the permit police are well entrenched in BBs such as this ,waiting to make an example. Each individual that seeks to have work carried out has a choice, personaly I go for price and recomendation, and I would'nt pay if the standard of work was below expectations.

Just cause you have a work permit does'nt mean your not a cowboy or a crook. You see the Corgi and FMB stickers on the vans, these are Brit accreditations that are for uk trades, their guarantees mean nothing on Devils Island so an air of dishonesty surrounds those that display, and no doubt they all have work permits.

D.N

erolz

Message Posted:
24/03/2009 10:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 37 in Discussion

Dixie Normus msg 33

"erolz, cost of residency, differs for Brits and mainlanders,"

I do not think this is the case but i'll make some enquires to double check.

"imported vehicles, brit and south cyp cars targeted by customs mainland cars which should fall under same regs are not."

The clamping down on people resident in the TRNC but using non TRNC registered vehicals is a recent thing and my understanding is they are clamping down on TC who exploit this as well as non citizens and regardless of from where the car is actually registered.

In any case as you point out the regulations are the same for all. You claim the implementation is not but the original request was for examples of rules or regulations that are racist, not for examples of inconsistent application of non racist regulations.

Dixie Normus

Message Posted:
24/03/2009 10:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 37 in Discussion

Hi erolz

Started new thread on this subject as we were going a bit offline to Ants post, you bring forward a valid point.

D.N

craig2536

Message Posted:
24/03/2009 10:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 37 in Discussion

I would only want a good service from the tradesman whom I am using. It is not my problem whether he pays his taxes, bounces cheques , even has sex with a goat. Whether he is legal, illegal, if his family are all legally registered All I am asking for is good service for the job that I need him for. We are not policemen or tax collectors. Would you know what an official company paper is if you were shown it, all writen in turkish.

Do you see them clamping down on the turkish mainland registered cars.

negativenick

Message Posted:
24/03/2009 10:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 37 in Discussion

mess 36 - i agree with you Craig, ultimately it's VFM we want - the best work i've had done has been from Illegal workers and the worst from legit registered companies....

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.